Alan Turing pardoned

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Alan Turing pardoned

Post by gmc »

Alan Turing gets royal pardon for 'gross indecency' – 61 years after he poisoned himself - News - People - The Independent

Even in those far off unenlightened times I bet if the general public had known what he had done for them there would have been outrage at the way he was treated by an ungrateful establishment. Senior politicians at the time could have spoken out.
Snowfire

Alan Turing pardoned

Post by Snowfire »

Absolutely ! And why has it taken so long ? Tragedy is, there are still people who hold the same prejudices and probably wouldn't treat him any better today
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Týr

Alan Turing pardoned

Post by Týr »

The Royal Pardon is an insult to the chap. It's saying that he was wrong and the law at the time was right, and that the sole reason he's been pardoned is his good works. A non-insult would be a general pardon to all who were criminalized by that now-defunct law, in that the now-defunct law was a disgrace to the nation.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Clodhopper

Alan Turing pardoned

Post by Clodhopper »

The Royal Pardon is an insult to the chap.

I don't think so. It is perhaps difficult for others convicted of the same offence for the same bad reason, but Turing got more attention because of his Bletchley connections and was (unnecessarily) hounded and appears to have been a special case. We've made our mistakes in the past, but this is something that people thought GOD said was wrong (though why the god of Love should reject a love that is true is beyond me - and I know gay marriages that have lasted lifelong every bit as much as hetero ones), so I'm not going to blame when something that should be done, IS done.

A Royal Pardon is the State admitting wrong was done. Didn't have to - the world hasn't noticed this and wouldn't notice if it didn't happen at all. So it gets respect from me. Well done someone!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Alan Turing pardoned

Post by Clodhopper »

Hi spot. Good to see you again :)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “United Kingdom”