Princess Margaret.............

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Arena

Post by Arena »

says.........

Princess Anne urges Britons to consider eating horsemeat - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I wonder if you agree with her
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, we can improve a horse's lot in life by making it into food?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Arena

Post by Arena »

Arena;1440395 wrote: says.........

Princess Anne urges Britons to consider eating horsemeat - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I wonder if you agree with her

Her comments follow warnings by charities of a horse welfare crisis, with 7,000 animals currently at risk of abandonment and neglect.

I would rather eat horse than see them abandonned and starving.

Can't you see the logic?

BTW horsemeat gets better with age. Young ones are tough an sinewy. Old burners on their last legs are tender.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Why did you title the thread "Princess Margaret.........."? Did she have the same opinion?

I did eat horse (cheval) in France years ago just to try it, had a lot of sauces on it so I really couldn't detect a flavor different from beef, BUT.............I'd rather not eat something that could be a friend. I wouldn't want to eat dog, & especially not cat. I say put these 7,000 horses out to pasture; spay & neuter; feed them & let them live out their lives in peace.

I have never cared for Princess Anne & while a student at Oxford participated in a demonstration against her fox-hunting. I find her prune-faced & mean & I don't think she has gotten better with age.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I would guess that any animals that feed on grains and grass would be edible. I would have no problem with eating horse meat.
Arena

Post by Arena »

Forgive me, but your argument applies to eating any creature. Do you eat chicken? OK but you wouldn't want to eat your pet chicken.

It would be nice to solve all the worlds problems in the simplistic manner you describe above but tell me , whose pastures do we graze the 7,000 horses on till they die? Who pays for spaying and vet bills for the rest of their days?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I lived on a farm. I could never be friends with a chicken. Or cattle. Or pigs. There were horses, too. One, Tillie, went out of her way to step on my foot. But that was her personality. She had personality, all the horses did. But, you are right, that's beside the point. Let the Royal Family pay. They have enough money for doing nothing. IMO, of course.

I would love to hear Oscar's opinion on this. She is a true horse lover. My dad loved the races. He might say "Race them & if they drop dead we'll have a bar-b-que" I can't speak for him, however, so I'm only being silly.

7,000 horses is not a big population.

"It would be nice to solve all the worlds problems in the simplistic manner you describe"

How to Win Friends & Influence People!

Seriously, I believe humans love to complicate simple things. Perhaps it is in order to give up & do nothing or give up responsibility and allow others to decide for them. Perhaps. I believe most answers are simple & that people are just unwilling.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

PS---so, what does Princess Margaret have to do with this thread which exists in her name?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1440416 wrote: I lived on a farm. I could never be friends with a chicken. Or cattle. Or pigs. There were horses, too. One, Tillie, went out of her way to step on my foot. But that was her personality. She had personality, all the horses did. But, you are right, that's beside the point. Let the Royal Family pay. They have enough money for doing nothing. IMO, of course.

I would love to hear Oscar's opinion on this. She is a true horse lover. My dad loved the races. He might say "Race them & if they drop dead we'll have a bar-b-que" I can't speak for him, however, so I'm only being silly.

7,000 horses is not a big population.

"It would be nice to solve all the worlds problems in the simplistic manner you describe"

How to Win Friends & Influence People!

Seriously, I believe humans love to complicate simple things. Perhaps it is in order to give up & do nothing or give up responsibility and allow others to decide for them. Perhaps. I believe most answers are simple & that people are just unwilling.

Seven thousand horses may not be a big population in the US but in England it would not be so easy. It would take the best part of a county to provide pasture for that many horses and England only has about thirty counties making up the whole country. No one person, neither Princess Anne nor the Queen herself has the land to do that. To you it's just a big farm, to us it's the land we live and grow our food on and there's precious little of it.

You "solution" is simplistic in that it does not take account of practicalities.

The problem is that they are not being looked after by their owners - pasturage is expensive so they are crammed in on insufficient land to support them (you often see horses chained up at the side of the road on the grass verge for example), as the pasture cannot support them you need to feed them but the feed is expensive so many are half starved, vets bill are expensive so many remain untreated when they become ill.

Any solution has to take into account the fact that these horses have owners, many of whom can no longer afford to keep them properly. Towards the end of their "useful" life they cannot be sold on so the owners are stuck with them. There are a few charities that have been set up to take them in but, given the number of more important calls on charitable giving, they will never be enough to form a solution.

In an ideal world they would be spayed or neutered, put out to pasture and looked after until they die but, as Arena said, who's pasture and who would pay the bills - any answer that ignores these problems is, of necessity, simplistic.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I thought horse, at least here, is made into dog food. A horse after all is not man's best friend.

The horse owners shouldn't have horses if they refuse to care for them. I remember a story Oscar told about a highly paid welfare recipient who owned a horse. Then, there are wealthy owners who don't want to pay the expensive insurance for thoroughbreds when the animals are no longer of any use to them. A popular method here is for a barn fire to break out at night, ridding the owner of the useless expense.

Simplistic. Here's something else simplistic. People want things & they don't want to pay for them.

I like how I said it. Go eat a horse if that is your solution. Be my guest. And when you are finished, there are unwanted dogs & cats in shelters, too. Start making recipes.

We have beautiful, wild mustangs here who are in numbers too large for the liking of some folks. An amazing sight I saw to see them run free.

I don't find solutions to be as complex as you do, I find people arguing, each ego demanding to be right, that complicates matters. Learn from this problem. Try as I said, tax the horse owners (Royals own many horses); learn & don't let it happen again.

Bon appetit!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

PS---maybe you know, Bryn, why this thread is titled "Princess Margaret". Is that an inside joke?
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

AnneBoleyn;1440434 wrote: PS---maybe you know, Bryn, why this thread is titled "Princess Margaret". Is that an inside joke?

?

I don't get it either.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I happened to speak with my son about this issue. He understands why you, Bryn, & Arena have this point of view & saw nothing wrong with it. He also understood what I said. But guess what?

He didn't attempt to counter my arguments by calling them simplistic. He simply (there's that word again) gave his own point of view. Of course, he was well brought up & has confidence in his words & has no need to chastise an opposing view, or viewer.

Perhaps we should investigate further. Perhaps Princess Anne has invested her pounds/euros or dollars in a slaughter house for horses that also serves meals to humans. There is always some smart wealthy person making a buck with their bright ideas.

I'm wondering Who would be the recipient of horse meat? Would it become all the rage in top restaurants or wind up in Soup Kitchens?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I can see the notion of feeding 7000 horses for several years in the UK could prove to be problematic.

And the UK is not the only place where horses meet abuse and abandonment.

As for eating them, I tried it a few times. Don't really like horse meat. But, some folks really do. I hear that it is fairly popular in France.

There is some logic to what the princess says.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yes, but is it only the peasants that will have to eat them?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1440434 wrote: PS---maybe you know, Bryn, why this thread is titled "Princess Margaret". Is that an inside joke?

Not a clue - I've been wondering myself :-?
Arena

Post by Arena »

Sorry!Slip of the brain, it should of course read Anne, as the link shows.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have nothing against eating horse meat providing stringent slaughter regulations are adhered to and all food Is labelled accuratly so the consumer knows exactly what they are buying.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Arena

Post by Arena »

oscar;1440503 wrote: I have nothing against eating horse meat providing stringent slaughter regulations are adhered to and all food Is labelled accuratly so the consumer knows exactly what they are buying.

Totally agree Oscar but that SHOULD apply to all foods we eat.:)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Arena;1440501 wrote: Sorry!Slip of the brain, it should of course read Anne, as the link shows.

Now that makes more sense. The one that looks like a horse.
Arena

Post by Arena »

Can't you see that rejecting horsemeat is the tip of the iceberg. As the population increases selective eating will gradually cease to be an option.

'I don't want to eat that', because of sentiment, faddishness,religion, etc. will have to go. There is enough food on the planet if we broaden our outlook.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

oscar;1440503 wrote: I have nothing against eating horse meat providing stringent slaughter regulations are adhered to and all food Is labelled accuratly so the consumer knows exactly what they are buying.

Yours is the opinion I've been waiting for & the one I feel I can respect the most on this issue.

I did some polling among friends, & even doing that I am still in the overwhelming minority.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1440595 wrote: Yours is the opinion I've been waiting for & the one I feel I can respect the most on this issue.

I did some polling among friends, & even doing th I am still in the overwhelming minority.

:-3 :thinking: :)

I often get that feeling.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “United Kingdom”