Who really owns the UK?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Big clue - it's not the natives.

Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al-Thani: Meet the man who bought London - Middle East - World - The Independent

Maybe the BNP and UKIP should shift their focus away from europe and imagined threats to our liberty

Ukip's founder says the party has gone 'completely fruitcake':yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Ukip's founder says the party has gone 'completely fruitcake' - Telegraph

Professor Alan Sked, who set up the euro-sceptic party 20 years ago, believes the party has become “anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual and racist”.
Scrat

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Scrat »

From the article about the sheikh.

They say: “He has contributed significantly to the increase in Qatar’s influence in the international arena.” Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Prime Minister of Turkey

Look at the names. It's sad as hell when a country will sell itself for money, take a look at yourself Britain. Hell, its the same here in America. I've seen this coming for decades but never could really grasp just where we would go (or are now going) or how far. Politics and money are not freedom and liberty.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1430318 wrote: From the article about the sheikh.

Look at the names. It's sad as hell when a country will sell itself for money, take a look at yourself Britain. Hell, its the same here in America. I've seen this coming for decades but never could really grasp just where we would go (or are now going) or how far. Politics and money are not freedom and liberty.

It raises the question who actually owns the resources of a nation. Leave aside the UK - we still have a land ownership system based on feudal law. The protests in Brazil are in part about oil revenues NOT being used for the benefit of the people. In Greece, national assets being sold to pay debts entailed by private companies that were bailed out by the taxpayer. In portugal and spain people protest about austerity measures imposed to sort out debts they had nothing to do with incurring while the rich get richer. In the states there are countless examples where people rights are subsumed to the profits of corporations and anyone objecting gets shouted down as being anti-capitalist and a tree hugger. It's a real left against right power struggle but the left seem to have lost any kind of ability to inspire followers. Turkey is interesting where the prime minister is blaming social media and outside influences for the unrest, nothing to do with the police going in mob handed on a peaceful protest.
Scrat

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Scrat »

It raises the question who actually owns the resources of a nation.

Not only resources, who owns the people who make the decisions in a country? Look at the situation in Syria. Qatar backs the rebels, this sheikh is Qatari and I'm sure he and/or some of his cohorts stand to make money off of anything that goes on there. Do you think the British governments politicians are going to do anything to displease him? Do you think American politicians are going to do anything to disappoint anyone who has the big bucks?

All these rich people in Greece, Brazil, Chili and other places buy and sell influence in whole countries. It's like the world has become a corrupt mafia state.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1430366 wrote: Not only resources, who owns the people who make the decisions in a country? Look at the situation in Syria. Qatar backs the rebels, this sheikh is Qatari and I'm sure he and/or some of his cohorts stand to make money off of anything that goes on there. Do you think the British governments politicians are going to do anything to displease him? Do you think American politicians are going to do anything to disappoint anyone who has the big bucks?

All these rich people in Greece, Brazil, Chili and other places buy and sell influence in whole countries. It's like the world has become a corrupt mafia state.

It's ironic, fascism has possibly ended up winning the peace despite apparently losing the war. It's acceptable top privatise national assets but dare to suggest nationalising anything and people throw up their hands in horror crying theft to all that will listen. Wonder what will happen in Cuba. Will all those american companies and private landowners that had their property taken demand it back with reparations? 50p says they do.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Water and power firms 'avoid £1billion in tax': Tory MP demands rebate for hard-pressed customers | Mail Online

What really galls is that all the utilities used to be nationalised industries, water in particular was never EVER in private hands, all the infrastructure was build by local authorities and the government. Thatcher gave it all away and people laud her for it - at least those who are too stupid to understand do. Some things are just too important to be left to market forces utilities is one of them. The daily mail is a tory paper, wonder how many of it's readers actually read this. My parents were part of the generation that brought in all the social welfare reforms post ww2 and it's all been flushed down the toilet by a bunch of people who pay lip service to the concept but really don't give a **** so long as they are OK.
Bruv

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Bruv »

Why doesn't the Government employ the *cough* Tax Experts that these companies employ to draw up new Tax guidelines without loopholes, and give them a share in the billions it could gain the national kitty?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Because mpst of them are former hmrc employees.

BBC News - Former HMRC boss Dave Hartnett joins tax firm Deloitte

The government could ban them from trading if they don't pay tax but they won't. Parliament as sovereign and ultimately the people rule is one that only lip service is paid to. In olden times if someone came amd stole your land and assets you went to war now they come and say thank you very much mrs thatcher for giving everything to us now piss off and don;t ask for any taxes on the profits. Looks what happening in greece they (the IMF and EU bankers) want to sell off all nationally owned assets to pay debts NOT incurred by ordinary Greeks.but realistically if the greeks told them to piss off there is nothing they could do about it. Do you see Iceland suffering? same in spain, Portugal, turkey, Brazil, Argentina once people realise they don't have to take this crap governments topple. Even Egypt seems to have got the message that rising in rebellion is actually feasible. In a democracy the people have the right to demonstrate and call for the resignation of a failing government or one that is shafting the people. .

Saw Alastair darling in Edinburgh Airport yesterday. I was proud of my self restraint in controlling the impulse to kick him in the balls. Just hope i never meet gordon Brown or Tony Blair - a jail sentence might be a price worth paying - mind you a jury of my peers might acquit me you never know.
Bruv

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1430928 wrote: Because mpst of them are former hmrc employees.

Then we should pay them more, the rewards would be worth it.

Fight fire with fire.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1430929 wrote: Then we should pay them more, the rewards would be worth it.

Fight fire with fire.

This particular individual was responsible for collecting tax from the firms deloitte represented it does rather suggest he has been helping them in showing ways to avoid paying tax. Rather than paying HMRC more we should make it illegal for HMRC emploees to retire and then take a job with tax consultants especially if they are the ones supposed to be collecting tax from their clients. he should lose his pension rights and all decisions reviewed to see if there has been any wrongdoing. We have large companies taking vast profits from the UK and not paying tax on them meanwhile the rest of us are supposed to out up with austerity measures that are impacting unfairly on the lower end of the economic spectrum. It's morally wrong at the very least. I didn't vote for these arseholes well actually I voted lib dem for the very last time.:mad: won't be doing that again.
Scrat

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Scrat »

Pisses me off. You best keep tightening your belts you spoiled bratty Brits, you aren't going to get your government back anytime soon. You can't afford it.
Bruv

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Bruv »

Scrat;1431079 wrote: Pisses me off. You best keep tightening your belts you spoiled bratty Brits, you aren't going to get your government back anytime soon. You can't afford it.

Thinking you could replace Brits with any other nation, including Yanks.
gmc

Who really owns the UK?

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1431079 wrote: Pisses me off. You best keep tightening your belts you spoiled bratty Brits, you aren't going to get your government back anytime soon. You can't afford it.

I'm coming round more and more to voting yes to scottish independence. Getting to the point I can't see how we could be any worse off.
Bruv

Who really owns the UK?

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1431100 wrote: I'm coming round more and more to voting yes to scottish independence. Getting to the point I can't see how we could be any worse off.

Does that mean we have to find our own home grown Prime Ministers/ M.Ps?

Return to “United Kingdom”