U.K. Police for hire?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
AnneBoleyn

U.K. Police for hire?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Last night I was watching a favorite show from Britain, Pie in the Sky, with Richard Griffiths as police D.I. Crabbe, who owns a restaurant & would rather be a chef than cop. Yes, yes, I know it's old for you, the action last night takes place in 1997, but since I never saw this show before it's new for me. I've been watching for months & it's my cup of tea. I like many British shows that I watch on Public Broadcast or BBC America. This is one of many I enjoy.

Anyway..........in the episode last night protestors were protesting (what else?) at a sausage factory. Seems they were vegetabletarians. The owner of the factory, Trubbs, I think his name was, hires the police to watch the protestors in case they get violent. This doesn't stop the cops from following the law as in the end Trubbs is arrested for fraud as there was no meat in his sausages.

My question: In the U.K. can on-duty police be hired through their local precinct as was the case in the show? Those who can afford to do so can hire the police for their protection? Can someone please explain this practice?
Oscar Namechange

U.K. Police for hire?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

No, they can't do that.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

U.K. Police for hire?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What happens is that if, in the opinion of the Police, there is a danger to the public or of riot, they will send an appropriate force to Police the event and charge the cause.

This usually happens for sporting events, festivals, etc. but can also happen for rallies and demonstrations.

The public cannot, however, hire the Police to control an event.
AnneBoleyn

U.K. Police for hire?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Charge the cause? What does that mean, bryn?
Bryn Mawr

U.K. Police for hire?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1425822 wrote: Charge the cause? What does that mean, bryn?

They will charge the people or organisation that causes the need for deploying the extra Police. For example, the organisers of the Glastonbury Festival would have to pay towards the policing of the event.

Return to “United Kingdom”