secret bid to stop ban that could save bees

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Insecticide firms in secret bid to stop ban that could save bees | Environment | The Observer

Insecticide firms in secret bid to stop ban that could save bees

You know in china they have to pollinate fruit by hand because they have killed all the bees, the US has to import bees because they have killed off their own, seems to be the cocktail of chemicals rather than each in isolation. On balance I would rather not take the chance and ban their use. No bees then no food. Millions have signed petitions wanting this but all out g9vt can hear is the money lobby.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I like Bee's In that bizz bizz type kind of way.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

If you like eating you should be incredibly fond of bees. If you like flowers you should also like bees. If you like birds maybe you should wonder why so many are declining in numbers, especially the ones that eat insects. The notion that the disappearance of so many species doesn't matter because we will still be able to feed ourselves is one I struggle to understand. The agribusiness companies seem determined to prevent any kind of research in to the long term effects of their products or the effect of the chemicals in combination might have. Sad to see cameron is again talking about letting GM crops be grown in this country, in the US they are trying to prevent legislation requiring the labelling of GM food products for fear people will boycott their products. Days it all really, if they were so convinced you would expect them to want to shout it from the rooftops.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

OK seriously... It's been In the news a lot lately but to be honest, I've paid little attention. there was a news Item on my local news only the other night where they visited Bee keepers In the West and they were saying what Bee numbers they did have were sick and weak.

I'll have to do some reading on the subject. Have to say, I did notice last year less Bee's In the garden.

Now some silliness

Eddie Izzard - Covered In Bees - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1425581 wrote: Insecticide firms in secret bid to stop ban that could save bees | Environment | The Observer

You know in china they have to pollinate fruit by hand because they have killed all the bees, the US has to import bees because they have killed off their own, seems to be the cocktail of chemicals rather than each in isolation. On balance I would rather not take the chance and ban their use. No bees then no food. Millions have signed petitions wanting this but all out g9vt can hear is the money lobby.

This is the first ban I've seen proposed based on a guess as to the cause of the decline - there is no direct evidence to link it to the pesticides.

Also, as a bee keeper remarked on the box last night, "what are the farmers going to replace them with"? The likelihood is older, more damaging, pesticides.

Even worse, I was stung in the eyelid by a bee last Saturday so they're not high on my favourites list at the moment :-)

Totally agree that bees are essential to our livlihood and we need to take all steps to protect them but I'd be more impressed if they'd pledged serious money to further research.
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's not something we can take a chance with the damage could be irrevocable. It's a complex issue buit on the whi=ole the pesdticide comopanies do their best to prevent research being carried out and are not averse to using threats and intimidation to shut scientists up.

Silent Spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1999, celebrated writer, naturalist, and environmental activist Peter Matthiessen[29] wrote in Time Magazine that before Silent Spring was published by Houghton Mifflin in 1962 there was vicious opposition to it:

Carson was violently assailed by threats of lawsuits and derision, including suggestions that this meticulous scientist was a "hysterical woman" unqualified to write such a book. A huge counterattack was organized and led by Monsanto Company, Velsicol, American Cyanamid – indeed, the whole chemical industry – duly supported by the Agriculture Department as well as the more cautious in the media.[29]

They're still at it. They can't argue the science so they try and convince everybody that those who object are the loony fringe of the scientific community. What I eat and how it is grown is my concern. Remember the recent horse meat scandal? Do you also remember the protests that doing away with small local abattoirs and transporting live animals around the country for slaughter would lead to a loss of accountability and people would end up not knowing where their food was coming from and the long term consequences could be detrimental..

Return to “United Kingdom”