Plonker of the week

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

Iain Duncan Smith faces backlash after telling wealthy pensioners: 'hand back your benefits' - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

'hand back your benefits'

Now of he said to bankers hand back your bonuses and to MP's stop fiddling your expenses and to companies stop tax dodging he could be the next leader of the conservative party
Oscar Namechange

Plonker of the week

Post by Oscar Namechange »

He said today there were “no plans” to alter the universal benefits paid to pensioners, but urged them to return the cash if they did not need it.

That's different to the way you have worded It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425579 wrote: He said today there were “no plans” to alter the universal benefits paid to pensioners, but urged them to return the cash if they did not need it.

That's different to the way you have worded It.

Iain Duncan Smith faces backlash after telling wealthy pensioners: 'hand back your benefits'

Really? Maybe you should read the article in which case you would perhaps realise I quoted the headline. Nowhere in the post did I mention he was planning to alter them.

He is the one bringing them in - which incidentally is a good idea. Might backfire though, a lot of OAP's do not claim all they are entitled to because it is so complicated or out of a sense of pride. I used to think he was the brightest of the bunch or at least the most in touch now I am not so sure.
Oscar Namechange

Plonker of the week

gmc;1425583 wrote: Really? Maybe you should read the article in which case you would perhaps realise I quoted the headline. Nowhere in the post did I mention he was planning to alter them.

He is the one bringing them in - which incidentally is a good idea. Might backfire though, a lot of OAP's do not claim all they are entitled to because it is so complicated or out of a sense of pride. I used to think he was the brightest of the bunch or at least the most in touch now I am not so sure.

I've always believed state pension and child benefit should be means tested. Less for the rich and more for the more needy.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425585 wrote: I've always believed state pension and child benefit should be means tested. Less for the rich and more for the more needy.

The state pension is only tax free if you are below the tax thresholds - have additional pension? you pay tax, in effect it's only tax free if you have no other income. Do bear in mind most recipients have paid in to NI all their working lives, it is not "free". Our politicians have made a real pigs ear out of the pension scheme, the tories because they are opposed to state benefits in principle labour because they are idiots. The graduated pension scheme was a good idea that didn't survive thatcher.
Oscar Namechange

Plonker of the week

gmc;1425594 wrote: The state pension is only tax free if you are below the tax thresholds - have additional pension? you pay tax, in effect it's only tax free if you have no other income. Do bear in mind most recipients have paid in to NI all their working lives, it is not "free". Our politicians have made a real pigs ear out of the pension scheme, the tories because they are opposed to state benefits in principle labour because they are idiots. The graduated pension scheme was a good idea that didn't survive thatcher.

One of the problems Is that the entire set up Is so complicated. Some go without what they are entitled to. It's especially complicated If you are In my situation where one of you Is entitled to state pension because he's over 65 and the other one Is much younger and still earning. Add to that, the older one being In receipt of part private pension also and It's a bloody minefield. Add to that the older one being registered disabled and entitled to some sort of disability payment and It gets very very complicated. All I know Is I pay tax on my earnings when to this day, I'm not sure weather I should be or not.
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425610 wrote: One of the problems Is that the entire set up Is so complicated. Some go without what they are entitled to. It's especially complicated If you are In my situation where one of you Is entitled to state pension because he's over 65 and the other one Is much younger and still earning. Add to that, the older one being In receipt of part private pension also and It's a bloody minefield. Add to that the older one being registered disabled and entitled to some sort of disability payment and It gets very very complicated. All I know Is I pay tax on my earnings when to this day, I'm not sure weather I should be or not.

Depends how much you earn

HM Revenue & Customs: Rates and thresholds for employers

If you have more than one paye employer then the odds are you will be paying tax you shouldn't as they will have been given a tax code that automatically deducts. You P60 should be in your hand soon so you will be able to claim a tax refund. Better to pay too much in a way, underpay even if it is not your fault and the bastards demand immediate payment.
Bruv

Plonker of the week

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1425610 wrote: One of the problems Is that the entire set up Is so complicated. Some go without what they are entitled to. It's especially complicated If you are In my situation where one of you Is entitled to state pension because he's over 65 and the other one Is much younger and still earning. Add to that, the older one being In receipt of part private pension also and It's a bloody minefield. Add to that the older one being registered disabled and entitled to some sort of disability payment and It gets very very complicated. All I know Is I pay tax on my earnings when to this day, I'm not sure weather I should be or not.

What about me then?

I have the State Pension and a Private one and I work........................I can't sleep at night worrying about it.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Plonker of the week

gmc;1425618 wrote: Depends how much you earn

HM Revenue & Customs: Rates and thresholds for employers

If you have more than one paye employer then the odds are you will be paying tax you shouldn't as they will have been given a tax code that automatically deducts. You P60 should be in your hand soon so you will be able to claim a tax refund. Better to pay too much in a way, underpay even if it is not your fault and the bastards demand immediate payment.
That's what I'm doing. I'm just paying the tax and NI knowing sooner or later, I'll get a refund...

It gets more complicated than that because as he's registered disabled, he could claim something for me but we don't know what It Is, how, why, when etc.

The more his condition progress's, I've been told I'm entitled to Carer's allowance as well.

I like to think I am reasonably Intelligent but I just don't get much of It.
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425631 wrote: That's what I'm doing. I'm just paying the tax and NI knowing sooner or later, I'll get a refund...

It gets more complicated than that because as he's registered disabled, he could claim something for me but we don't know what It Is, how, why, when etc.

The more his condition progress's, I've been told I'm entitled to Carer's allowance as well.

I like to think I am reasonably Intelligent but I just don't get much of It.

What yopu mean those people living it large on the taxpayer are cleverer than you?

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Eligibility

Conditions you must meet

You might get Carer’s Allowance if you:

are 16 or over

spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

are in Great Britain when you claim - there are some exceptions, eg members and family members of the Armed Forces

have been in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands for at least 2 of the last 3 years

are habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

are not subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)

There are some exceptions to these conditions if you’re living in another EEA country.

Conditions the person you care for must meet

The person you care for must get one of these benefits:

Attendance Allowance

Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Exceptions

You may not get Carer’s Allowance if:

you’re in full-time education, and studying for 21 hours a week or more (this includes supervised study and things like coursework and experiments, not just time spent with a tutor)

you earn more than £100 a week (after tax)

you get one of the benefits listed below

If you get any of the benefits listed below and they pay you £58.45 or more you may not get Carer’s Allowance. Instead, Jobcentre plus will work out if these benefits can be increased or if you’re entitled to other benefits.

Bereavement Allowance

contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance

contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

Incapacity Benefit

Industrial Death Benefit

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

State Pension

training allowance

Unemployability Supplement – paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension

War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension

Widowed Mother’s Allowance

Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Widow’s Pension

https://www.gov.uk/taxable-income/state ... re-taxable
Oscar Namechange

Plonker of the week

Thank You my little thistle... I will look Into that.

Somehow, to me, It doesn't seem quite right. I took my vows In sickness and In health. That's what married people are supposed to do, care for each other in sickness. When did we start getting paid for It ? Doesn't sit quite right with me.
gmc

Plonker of the week

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425705 wrote: Thank You my little thistle... I will look Into that.

Somehow, to me, It doesn't seem quite right. I took my vows In sickness and In health. That's what married people are supposed to do, care for each other in sickness. When did we start getting paid for It ? Doesn't sit quite right with me.

It's not just about married couples, caring for an elderly parent or relative can cause a lot of problems and entail someone having to give up their work or work fewer hours if it's someone that needs more care than the occasional visit the care allowance is to help ease the financial burden or pay for a carer. It's also an issue that is going to become more prevalent. Old people used to just die now they live to be ninety which is nice but often they can't look after themselves or are disabled, if it's a family member it can be at the expense of their own family. You are talking about the generation that fought for their country and set all these things up now they are being told they are scroungers and shouldn't be claiming. Meanwhile MP's claim more in expenses than many people can earn while harping on about a welfare culture we can't afford with scroungers abusing the public purse. Meanwhile the wealthy need more tax cuts so they can spend more to help the economy. You couldn't make this stuff up could you.

Return to “United Kingdom”