Bastyards

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Bastyards

Post by gmc »

Commute three hours a day or lose benefits, jobseekers are told in tough new Universal Credit plan | Mail Online

You know some people play the system, don't want to work but the vast majority don't. Keep this kind of nonsense up up and i can see a repeat of the riots of 2011. If you're unemployed, feel you can't get anywhere and are constantly picked like this on after a while you lose any respect for authority.
Bruv

Bastyards

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1421208 wrote: Commute three hours a day or lose benefits, jobseekers are told in tough new Universal Credit plan | Mail Online

You know some people play the system, don't want to work but the vast majority don't. Keep this kind of nonsense up up and i can see a repeat of the riots of 2011. If you're unemployed, feel you can't get anywhere and are constantly picked like this on after a while you lose any respect for authority.

Has a Daily Mail reader hijacked gmc's account I wonder ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Bastyards

Post by Snowfire »

I'm disturbed at the amount of Daily Mail reading you are doing mate. Its gonna coddle your brain and distort your thought processes.

An hour and a half each way to get to work and back is not unusual for me, sometimes much longer depending where I have to travel to. Its very rare for me to travel for less than half an hour to get to work.

I recently did 2 weeks 5.45 am leaving for work and getting home at 7.30 pm. On 2 occasions much later
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

Bastyards

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Agreed. What's next, selling us in the marketplace to the highest bidder? As it is, what with rent/food, etc. so high we owe our souls to the company store without doing much of anything.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's no different to which Norman Tebbit said In the 80's when he said ' Get on your bike'.

I can understand the thinking.

Not all but many people do believe that even In times of recession there should be a tailor-made job created by the Government just for them, on their doorsteps with hours to suit.

I think It's reasonable. He's asking that job seekers should be looking further afield for employment. If someone who claims they want a job Isn't prepared to travel one and a half hours to work and back, then they can't want to work that bad can they?

Thousands commute every day for up to 5 or 6 hours and don't complain. It's how bad you want a job really.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Bastyards

Post by gmc »

posted by bruv

Has a Daily Mail reader hijacked gmc's account I wonder ?

It makes it easier on the daily mail readers if you use their favourite paper - they don't have to get the dictionary out because the words are simple and the articles quite short. Their attention span is quite short and they seem to struggle with complicated concepts. Also I find if I use a link from say the independent or the guardian there is usually no response. I read quite a wide spectrum of papers.

I too have commuted to work 1/2 hour and up to two or three hours. The thing is if you have no money because you are unemployed how to you pay the train or bus fares? It's OK in London but up here twenty mile train journey is five to ten pound a DAY.

Apart from that Let's say you start at 6 or 7 in the morning - as a lot of jobs do, quite often there is no train service and the bus service is pretty crap as well, how do you travel the ten miles to work, great if you have a push-bike or a car not so easy if you don't. It's quite often impractical for someone to be able to get to work unless they have a car.

I've been long term unemployed for almost two years, if you happen to live in an area of high unemployment sometimes there are quite simply no jobs to be had. Having some pratt living in london telling you you are not trying is very very annoying. I hate the tories with a passion. I've got nothing but contempt for new labour and the lib dems are passing rat's turds in the sewers of life. There's no more conviction politicians any more just hand-waving smiling marionettes that have been on a course about body language positioning their hands in open gestures in the hope we all think they are being honest.

In 2011 the riots didn't spread to scotland that's something that still puzzles.
theia

Bastyards

Post by theia »

oscar;1421221 wrote: It's no different to which Norman Tebbit said In the 80's when he said ' Get on your bike'.

I can understand the thinking.

Not all but many people do believe that even In times of recession there should be a tailor-made job created by the Government just for them, on their doorsteps with hours to suit.

I think It's reasonable. He's asking that job seekers should be looking further afield for employment. If someone who claims they want a job Isn't prepared to travel one and a half hours to work and back, then they can't want to work that bad can they?

Thousands commute every day for up to 5 or 6 hours and don't complain. It's how bad you want a job really.

I sort of agree but feel awkward about it as my work is 7 minutes away in my car (20 minutes when I've moved). And I really don't think I'd like a long commute like Snow.

Edit: and I was just watching my recording of this week's Question Time. The responses to the question on the economy made me wonder if anyone has any idea how to manage it. Vince Cable seems to be the one person who knows what he's talking about.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
G#Gill

Bastyards

Post by G#Gill »

Snowfire;1421215 wrote: I'm disturbed at the amount of Daily Mail reading you are doing mate. Its gonna coddle your brain and distort your thought processes.

An hour and a half each way to get to work and back is not unusual for me, sometimes much longer depending where I have to travel to. Its very rare for me to travel for less than half an hour to get to work.

I recently did 2 weeks 5.45 am leaving for work and getting home at 7.30 pm. On 2 occasions much later

You are lucky to have a job Snow. My son is a qualified counter balance and reach fork lift driver. He has no transport of his own as he cannot afford it and the only work available is shift work at about 12 miles from home, and that isn't FLT either. Recently Costa Coffee advertised for 8 more staff in a new place they have opened and 1700 people applied for those positions !!!! This is in the Nottingham area.

A young lady won her case in court recently concerning working to earn her unemployment benefit because the government were paying well below the NMW they had themselves set ! Calculating her money for working this way - (if she hadn't taken the job she would have lost her benefit) she was getting around £2 per hour !!!! Now I don't think there are many unemployed people who would not be prepared to work to earn their unemployment benefit, I'm sure they would be glad to be able to contribute and also to have something worthwhile to do. BUT to make people work for that sort of money per hour is slave labour and one could hardly blame these people if they refused, but of course they can't afford to refuse can they as they would have no money for food or rent. My son says he would gladly work doing mostly anything just so long as he got the minimum wage as laid down by the government. That means that people ordered to work for their benefit money should only be working about 11 hours each week, if the money is to be NMW.

I agree with what gmc is saying - the government's stance on this work for your benefit or else poliicy regardless of the number of hours or the distance to be travelled, is just asking for rebellion IMO.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

But look at the governments point of view for a change because they are the one's who have to balance the books.

We are In recession and public sector cuts are In everything The Government must and has to save money.

Job Centre's report back that so many jobs were not applied for because applicants refuse to go for Interview because the job Is too far.

And before anyone says there are no jobs out there, unemployment came down by 14,000 last month alone. The one's who say there Is nothing out there don't want to move out of their comfort zone.

It's simply financial Impossible to continue to pander to people who expect jobs on their doorsteps, hours to suit, etc etc and continue paying Job seekers allowance If they are not prepared to look further afield.

An hour and half each way Is not asking the Impossible. Most people have to do some travelling to work but people can't expect jobs on their doorsteps and keep claiming benefit until a tailor-made job comes along.

Oh and just for the record, I spent years travelling from Worthing to Crawley every day, 6 days a week and Peter went from Worthing to Swindon and back every day.

We'd both leave the house at 7am and we'd both get home at 8 pm....
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Bastyards

Post by AnneBoleyn »

In NYC a job in Manhattan from South Brooklyn can take 1+1/2 hours. Normal time might be 30-45 minutes for this distance. Talking not just subways but traffic jams too.
Snowfire

Bastyards

Post by Snowfire »

gmc;1421226 wrote:

It's OK in London but up here twenty mile train journey is five to ten pound a DAY.

If my work is in London, the cost of travel is a fifth of my wages. Sometimes you know, you gotta wipe that chip off your shoulder about us wealthy, fortunate, middle class southerners from leafy, tree lined Acacia Avenue. :rolleyes:

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Bastyards

Post by G#Gill »

The government could sort the problem at a stroke .............................. get out of Europe !!!!!! They would save millions a day, which could be put into industry, NHS, schools, etc. Besides, the governments over time, helped cause this problem in the first place ! It is all so easy for those who are lucky enough to have work to go to - just think of the poor innocent people who have been made redundant, thousands of them ! Well respected national companies gone to the wall, and more to join them. I really don't know where these 'employment figures' come from, but to say that more people are being emplyed now, I think could well be an exaggeration. Until my hubby retired, he worked for the East Region Job Centre Plus as it became, and it was part of his job to gather statistics each month and send them to the press and media. One can make statistics read anything. The building, in Nottingham, where he worked, occupied several floors. A sign of the times - it is now totally empty floor to roof, (13 floors) and is up for sale for £20 million. I doubt it will be sold any time soon, whilst we are still in recession. Apparently the monthly figures for employment can be obtained quite easily by the press and media, via the internet these days.
Betty Boop

Bastyards

Post by Betty Boop »

Long term unemployed often no longer have a car. The cost of public transport is huge around these parts, that's if you find a service that will get you where you need to be in the first place.

Just looked something up, say I found a job in Falmouth with a 9 am start, I am stuffed using public transport, the first bus I can get out of my village is eleven minutes past seven, then jump on a train, then another bus and I'd get near Falmouth at half nine with a further twenty minute walk to Falmouth town. As for the cost I'll get back to you later, it seems to be taking a while to find out :wah:

London has a fantastic network of public transport, no matter how much some Londoners like to complain about it. Compared to ours it's wonderful and cheap too. We don't have that luxury.
G#Gill

Bastyards

Post by G#Gill »

Snowfire;1421242 wrote: If my work is in London, the cost of travel is a fifth of my wages. Sometimes you know, you gotta wipe that chip off your shoulder about us wealthy, fortunate, middle class southerners from leafy, tree lined Acacia Avenue. :rolleyes:

It's wonderful to hear such compassionate words. Perhaps those poor unemployed (mostly through no fault of their own), should stop snivelling and whining and get off their backsides and get working. Those who are lucky enough to have gainful employment can't really know how low and despairing most of these unemployed people feel.

It's all very well saying you've got to make up your mind to accept that you will have to travel to and from work for around 3 hours each day - I am sure that they already accept this, but it is very difficult to apply for a job that is not on a bus route or near a railway station if you don't have your own transport ! Many such jobs in any case are shift work and it would be impossible for people without their own transport to get to and from work when they're on the night shift !

I've had enough of listening to sarcastic comments. Just think yourselves lucky all those who have paid work.
Betty Boop

Bastyards

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1421245 wrote: Long term unemployed often no longer have a car. The cost of public transport is huge around these parts, that's if you find a service that will get you where you need to be in the first place.

Just looked something up, say I found a job in Falmouth with a 9 am start, I am stuffed using public transport, the first bus I can get out of my village is eleven minutes past seven, then jump on a train, then another bus and I'd get near Falmouth at half nine with a further twenty minute walk to Falmouth town. As for the cost I'll get back to you later, it seems to be taking a while to find out :wah:

London has a fantastic network of public transport, no matter how much some Londoners like to complain about it. Compared to ours it's wonderful and cheap too. We don't have that luxury.

Seems you can have an all over Cornwall monthly pass for £99, weekly for £25. Not read all the small print got fed up after looking up local weekly passes and noting that a weekly pass can be purchased for £13 but the list of places not served by this makes the ticket a waste of money! I am amazed that those not included are the places where the communities are the poorest! It's disgusting.

Forgot, that doesn't include the daily train fare of £5.20 just to travel from Penzance to Redruth and back again, that's about twenty minutes each way!

And they wonder why no one in Cornwall uses public transport! And don't get me started on the fact that we have all the knackered clapped out buses and trains down here lol
Snowfire

Bastyards

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1421246 wrote: It's wonderful to hear such compassionate words. Perhaps those poor unemployed (mostly through no fault of their own), should stop snivelling and whining and get off their backsides and get working. Those who are lucky enough to have gainful employment can't really know how low and despairing most of these unemployed people feel.

It's all very well saying you've got to make up your mind to accept that you will have to travel to and from work for around 3 hours each day - I am sure that they already accept this, but it is very difficult to apply for a job that is not on a bus route or near a railway station if you don't have your own transport ! Many such jobs in any case are shift work and it would be impossible for people without their own transport to get to and from work when they're on the night shift !

I've had enough of listening to sarcastic comments. Just think yourselves lucky all those who have paid work.

Where have I said the unemployed should stop snivelling and whining ? I'm old enough to have been unemployed myself in the past. Should I feel guilty about the fact I happen to be in employment ?

My sarcastic comments have been exclusively to gmc and how he thinks all of us down south seem to well orf and living in luxury. I don't and have to fight for every penny I earn. I wont apologise for that to anyone

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Bastyards

Post by Bruv »

See.............those bar stewards have managed to wind the proletariat up with their proclamations yet again.

Seems like everyday they announce how bloody many NEW jobs they have created, then that more people are in work today than ever.

Today it seems these NEW jobs they created are not in travelling distance.

So if you have a spare bedroom and live too far off a bus route and happen to be out of work............gawd help you.

But seriously.....

I think these sort of announcements are feelers to see what the reaction is, a way to gauge the public mood about cuts to the work shy degenerates that steal our taxes.

All those NEW jobs, they aren't lieing, they just aren't telling the whole truth. Many of them are part time, so for every single real job, two part time employees cover it.

The employers get away with more flexible staff, shorter hours mean less paid breaks,and staff wages are made up by the Government.

Government have less unemployment and can cry about benefits they pay to subsidise the wages of low paid.
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I would not travel 2-3 hours one way for work - daily - NO.

I would not - take a bus - catch the rail-take another bus - walk up hill & arrive. NO

and neither can the unemployed.

Patsy
Snooz

Bastyards

Post by Snooz »

Um... is it possible to find living accommodations near the job instead of finding a job near your living accommodations?
theia

Bastyards

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1421289 wrote: Um... is it possible to find living accommodations near the job instead of finding a job near your living accommodations?

Why didn't I think of that :-2
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Bastyards

Post by Bruv »

There are lots of people that travel for longer than three hours each day to work.

It is very common in London to travel in excess of an hour from the suburbs.

Unless they recompence for travel a three hour commute in a poorly paid job wouldn't be viable.
Snowfire

Bastyards

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1421289 wrote: Um... is it possible to find living accommodations near the job instead of finding a job near your living accommodations?

Its something I do occasionally if the job is too far away to commute. Short jobs, bed and breakfast is ideal but for a very large job 3 years ago, we rented a large house and came home at the weekends

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

That's a very good point Snooze.

I myself have spent many years In B and B particually with the race course work but I have also spent times during my times In Sales when I was troubleshooting where I was all over the place staying the week In Portsmouth, Southampton, Tunbridge Wells etc etc. only coming home weekends. I know Sales managers that actually moved house when an opportunity came up within the company for them.

When I first let school, I went everywhere on a motor bike.

The Government would not expect you to travel 3 hours a day for a 20 hour week... that would be absurd. But the full time career jobs, It's perfectly reasonable to ask someone to travel an hour and a half each way.

The hard fact of life Is that you can not expect a tailor-made job on your doorstep. And you can't expect the government to keep paying you welfare while one comes along.

If there was a job I wanted 20 miles away with rubbish transport, I'd still go for the Interview and ask about car sharing. I'd even put an ad In my local shop asking to contribute to fuel for a lift.

If you want something badly enough, you have to put yourself out.

Sorry, but I agree with Cameron. We are pandering to some people who want It all their own way.

Take someone who's a Baker. No bakery jobs in his area so he sits on welfare until one comes up. But he doesn't think ' there's a job In a supermarket or on a farm so I'll do that until a Bakers job comes up'. Example.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Patsy Warnick;1421281 wrote: I would not travel 2-3 hours one way for work - daily - NO.

I would not - take a bus - catch the rail-take another bus - walk up hill & arrive. NO

and neither can the unemployed.

Patsy

Our government Is not asking anyone to travel 2-3 hours one way as you say. They are asking one and a half hours each way equalling a total of 3 hours per day.
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

gmc

I can see a riot brewing for this arrangement

being a hostage to the job.

Oscar

I would not spend 3 hours to commute for a job. NO

it's ridiculous to expect others to do so.

most are not financially able to afford the costs to commute.

most are not financially able to relocate for the new location.

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Patsy Warnick;1421415 wrote: gmc

I can see a riot brewing for this arrangement

being a hostage to the job.

Oscar

I would not spend 3 hours to commute for a job. NO

it's ridiculous to expect others to do so.

most are not financially able to afford the costs to commute.

most are not financially able to relocate for the new location.

Patsy Then can I ask you very politely Patsy, why do you think our government and tax payers should keep paying out welfare for people who are not willing to put themselves out?

No-one Is earned a living by the rest of the country.

There won't be riots over this... It's no different to what another politician said In the 80's.

If someone wants to work bad enough they will push the boundaries to do so... or live on welfare.
Snooz

Bastyards

Post by Snooz »

Back in the 80s, San Francisco was so expensive to live in and Sacramento wasn't, that people didn't think twice about driving 90 miles / 1.5 hours each way every day.

If you need to work, you'll find a way.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

SnoozeAgain;1421418 wrote: Back in the 80s, San Francisco was so expensive to live in and Sacramento wasn't, that people didn't think twice about driving 90 miles / 1.5 hours each way every day.

If you need to work, you'll find a way. Exactly !!!!

Interesting that I've just been reading about the USA unemployment stats.

Long Term Unemployment at Highest Level Since WWII | The Blog on Obama: White House Dossier

How long does anyone think governments can keep paying out welfare for those who want everything on their doorsteps.... what a ridiculous attitude to have.
Snooz

Bastyards

Post by Snooz »

Not only that but the Republicans don't want to raise taxes. Their constituents LOVE that but it's unrealistic.
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

I don't know what the answer to welfare should be - US has thousands on welfare.

people don't want to bother to educate themselves to push the boundries.

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

SnoozeAgain;1421422 wrote: Not only that but the Republicans don't want to raise taxes. Their constituents LOVE that but it's unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong. I genuinely fee for people who have trained and worked for the same company for years only to be made redundant.

But life Is full of choices.

You can choose to live on a pittance from welfare or put yourself out a little. Our government Is not asking people for an Impossibility. There are people In this country who are happy to let the tax payer keep them until the perfect job comes up on their doorstep while rejecting other jobs because they have to get on a train.

Nobody Is owed anything.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Patsy Warnick;1421425 wrote: Oscar

I don't know what the answer to welfare should be - US has thousands on welfare.

people don't want to bother to educate themselves to push the boundries.

Patsy Now I'm confused with your posts.

You say people don't want to push the boundaries but previous posts say our government should not expect people to travel 3 hours a day?
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

To push the boundries people need to educate themselves to adjust to the changes. or

People get told/pushed to a ultimatum.

Some can take advantage to our Welfare program & seem to be on the program forever.

Others need & are grateful for the program.

There are many hoops to jump thru even for the needy to qualify & limited time for the program.

Patsy
Snooz

Bastyards

Post by Snooz »

Hopefully they've raised the hoops, my ex's ex was on welfare while she lived with her drug dealer boyfriend (income obviously off the books) and they lived in a really nice house with all the luxuries you could hope for, including a gigantic "boudoir" photo of her above the fireplace. She had to go to her choice of training to remain on welfare, took a six month medical assistant course and then refused to work and still got welfare. I can't imagine how much that six month course would cost for a person unable to have the state pay for it but it wouldn't have been cheap.
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Snooze

I could only understand some welfare provided to her if she had a child.

Welfare does offer many courses to educate - I completely agree with your point of the cost for the regular taxpayer paying for the course..! I've paid out of pocket for many courses - while a friend was being trained for free off me. not a good feeling if that person does not take advantage of that education.

Not sure in your story if drugs are involved - but usually drugs seem to surface and these newly educated are just flat lazy - no motivation.

My point to Oscar was - these workers barely make ends meet now - very expensive to commute - relocate. I totally understand do what you need to do to work.

I worked full time and bartended 3-4 nights of the week to make ends meet.

I was raised in a large - poor family - been working since I was 8 yrs. old - we were never on welfare - we all brought money into the household.

8 yrs. old - I berry picked every summer - rode a old dilapidated school bus to a field.

That's a long day for a kid

I'd rather be in school.....:yh_rotfl

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Patsy Warnick;1421437 wrote:

My point to Oscar was - these workers barely make ends meet now - very expensive to commute - relocate.

Patsy In this country, you get free travel whilst looking for work.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... -find-jobs

Most likely you would be entitled to a job Grant which would cover your first months travel expenses until you got paid.

Benefits and help when going back to work | nidirect

I really don't know how this country can make things easier. So No Patsy, there's no excuse..... not in the UK
Patsy Warnick

Bastyards

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Traveling expense is a great incentive - I doubt if the US would supply a travel voucher for any job for that length of time.

So, it goes back to my other comment - some are just lazy.

Patsy
Betty Boop

Bastyards

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1421443 wrote: In this country, you get free travel whilst looking for work.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... -find-jobs

Most likely you would be entitled to a job Grant which would cover your first months travel expenses until you got paid.

I really don't know how this country can make things easier. So No Patsy, there's no excuse..... not in the UK

Nor Ireland it would seem! The UK site to be looking at is here:

https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work

I thought I read somewhere that when universal credits come in there will be no more 'help' to get back to work by way of extra payments to help you settle in.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Betty Boop;1421453 wrote: Nor Ireland it would seem! The UK site to be looking at is here:

https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work

I thought I read somewhere that when universal credits come in there will be no more 'help' to get back to work by way of extra payments to help you settle in.

Replaced by free bus travel.

Unemployed people to get free bus travel in attempt to help them find work | Society | The Guardian

GB Guide.com Jobs - Travel Expenses For Job Seekers
Saint_

Bastyards

Post by Saint_ »

(Saint thinks about his less than five minute daily commute and decides to keep quiet...)

I take it the Daily News is the British equivalent of our National Enquirer? All the news that's made up to print?
Snooz

Bastyards

Post by Snooz »

I'm about a 10 minute drive from work but then I had to move almost 700 miles to get the job I have now.
gmc

Bastyards

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1421250 wrote: Where have I said the unemployed should stop snivelling and whining ? I'm old enough to have been unemployed myself in the past. Should I feel guilty about the fact I happen to be in employment ?

My sarcastic comments have been exclusively to gmc and how he thinks all of us down south seem to well orf and living in luxury. I don't and have to fight for every penny I earn. I wont apologise for that to anyone

I wasn't having a go at you snowfire. I've lived and worked down in London and in some pretty rough areas so I know it is not all tree lined avenues down south. I was in retail management, big superstores, so I do know what a two hour commute feels like and 15 16 hour days. we not could get enough staff people wouldn't get on a bus to travel to the next area to work not when there were so many jobs nearby where they lived. I moved back up to Scotland to open a new store, in the first week there were three thousand applications by the end of the second it was over ten. That is the difference between an area of high unemployment and a place like london that has high unemployment because yes a lot of people don't want to work opr can pick and choose. The difference is of you live in kent or Brighton you can probably find work with a bit of effort and if you need to go to london then the public transport will get you there. That was in the eighties but this recession worse than that one. This time it's not industrial sector jobs that are going it's in the service sector, banking, public sector, nhs. The knock on effect is tremendous - why do you think so many retailers are going out of business it's not just down top online buying people just don't have the money for luxuries.

I bang on about the south east because our policy makers seem incapable of understanding that get on your bike and travel three to four hours is all very well but you need to have a job to go to and as well as paying transport costs you still need to have enough to live on. Average rent is £550 per month - try finding that on a 40 hour minimum wage job ( we have MP's that claim more than that for travel expenses) or even two jobs like that people claim benefits out of necessity not because they want to. Most available jobs are part time or temporary not full time, if you work more than 16 hours you start to lose your benefit entitlement a lot of people will sign off and take part time work rather than take benefits even if they are no better off. Course as a daily mail reader you might not be aware of that. This governments' approach seems to be take it everything away altogether and put their faith in a magic place called the private sector that will generate wealth and make us all rich. Meanwhile they let companies like amazon operate a defacto monopoly that is having a catastrophic effect on uk businesses and let them away with taking all the profits made out of the country while the staff get paid as little as they can get away with because they know there are no other jobs for them to go to. It's quite simple if you make profit in this country you should pay tax - if companies like amazon left would we miss them? As it happen I know families where both partners worked in banking, in some cases all their working lives and both have been made redundant, jokes about bankers bonuses really don't go down very well. There's a big call centre near where i live, used to be intelligent finance now it's lloyds tsb, once the lease is up on the building that's another few hundred jobs away down south or perhaps to a call centre in India. Yes they can retrain but for what? Where are these magic jobs they can be retrained for.

Remember thatcher and there is no such thing as community and we can all work in a service economy well this is her world it and it sucks. We have fascist economy and it just doesn't work.

posted by oscar

In this country, you get free travel whilst looking for work.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...oyed-find-jobs

Yeah brilliant oscar - what do you do if you are meant to start work at an hour when there is no public transport or live in an area where there isn't any. Would you cycle or two hours in a snow storm to get to work? I know one guy that does, works from 4 in the afternoon till two in the morning in a place that has no buses at two in the morning. Sorry oscar but every time someone like you are the daily mail goes on about people on benefits being lazy and not wanting to work I want to take them up a dark alley and beat the **** out of them. I know plenty of people who will travel two to three hours to work and also plenty who would as well given the chance. I know plenty of people who used to think like you who now complain that the only job their children can get is a part time in MacDonalds or a supermarket . Nothing wrong with that but let's face it as a career option it sucks.

posted by saint

(Saint thinks about his less than five minute daily commute and decides to keep quiet...)

I take it the Daily News is the British equivalent of our National Enquirer? All the news that's made up to print?

No it's a right wing newspaper that runs constant stories about benefit scroungers and immigrants stealing our jobs alongside titillating stories along the lines of cor blimey look at the tits on this one and this fat slag shouldn't be wearing a dress like this.
Bruv

Bastyards

Post by Bruv »

I wasn't having a go at you snowfire.................................

...................Course as a daily mail reader you might not be aware of that

Not having a go ?

Gertcha !!!
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

gmc;1421502 wrote:

Yeah brilliant oscar - what do you do if you are meant to start work at an hour when there is no public transport or live in an area where there isn't any. Would you cycle or two hours in a snow storm to get to work? I know one guy that does, works from 4 in the afternoon till two in the morning in a place that has no buses at two in the morning. Sorry oscar but every time someone like you are the daily mail goes on about people on benefits being lazy and not wanting to work I want to take them up a dark alley and beat the **** out of them. I know plenty of people who will travel two to three hours to work and also plenty who would as well given the chance. I know plenty of people who used to think like you who now complain that the only job their children can get is a part time in MacDonalds or a supermarket . Nothing wrong with that but let's face it as a career option it sucks.

People like me ?

People like me who happen to believe you come Into this world with nothing and you leave with what you should have made for yourself.

Life Is about choices but we are a nation of moaning whiners. Everything that happens to you In life Is because of the choices you make. It's not your parents, past relationships, the government. other people's faults. Only you are responsible for the choices you make In life. No-one owes anyone a living an there is no emtitlement.

The government has Introduced packages to help get the long term unemployed back to work an In the main, they have failed.

Now they've brought In the new hard line, everyone Is complaining.

Incentives to get back to work seriously ? The only Incentive anyone should need Is a desire to work but Instead we have people whining about getting up an extra hour and half In the morning to take a job further afield or the buses don't run as I'd like them to or the only job Is In a take-away an i want to sit behind a nice desk.
Bruv

Bastyards

Post by Bruv »

Sorry Oscar, if somebody with a couple of kids on benefit, to be able to sustain the same level of income they need more than the basic wage.

It is about economics, not pride.
Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

Bruv;1421507 wrote: Sorry Oscar, if somebody with a couple of kids on benefit, to be able to sustain the same level of income they need more than the basic wage.

It is about economics, not pride.

Yeah ? And I have a girlfriend who Is deeply wounded for having to ask a food charity for help.

Her husband Is a coach driver for National Express and works all hours god gives him. He even drove long distance In that snow and ice we had when no-one else would. She also works a few hours a week despite having a baby and a toddler. She also has his two older children that she took after their mother abandoned them.

They had no Christmas presents this year and now she has to ask a food charity for help...

Meanwhile my vile neighbour who has never worked a day In her life has a fridge full of beer and orders take-outs 4 times a week along with eating at the local Cavery on a Sunday because she's too bone idle to cook for her 4 kids. They have a car, plasma screen tv etc etc and she'll think nothing of wasting £200 on another body piercing or tattoo.
gmc

Bastyards

Post by gmc »

oscar;1421506 wrote: People like me ?

People like me who happen to believe you come Into this world with nothing and you leave with what you should have made for yourself.

Life Is about choices but we are a nation of moaning whiners. Everything that happens to you In life Is because of the choices you make. It's not your parents, past relationships, the government. other people's faults. Only you are responsible for the choices you make In life. No-one owes anyone a living an there is no emtitlement.

The government has Introduced packages to help get the long term unemployed back to work an In the main, they have failed.

Now they've brought In the new hard line, everyone Is complaining.

Incentives to get back to work seriously ? The only Incentive anyone should need Is a desire to work but Instead we have people whining about getting up an extra hour and half In the morning to take a job further afield or the buses don't run as I'd like them to or the only job Is In a take-away an i want to sit behind a nice desk.

You're a fascist oscar you and I are going to agree on some things but when it really comes down to it we're political opposites. You do what every fascist does in coming out with trite little phrases and anecdotes that seem reasonable and appeal to the baser human instinctto find a scapegoat but in doing so you overlook some of the real causes of our malaise. Yes there are scroungers and lazy bastards that won't get a job but compared to the damage done by bankers and politicians - get real they are not the problerm.

Fascism just does not work any more than communism will the only real difference is fascism is perhaps less hypocritical but nowadays they have to keep the naked desire fpr power and contriol hidden a bit better. . It's ironic that the success of the left in post war britain has resulted ultimately in a fascist state but then I'm inclined to believe there wil always be a to and fro - constnt conflict between right and left there always has been.

posted by bruv

Course as a daily mail reader you might not be aware of that.

That was a generic comment not intended for snowfire in particular who I don't think is a daily mail reader. Hang it all I read the rag myself so i suppose I am one I just don't believe everythung that's in it. It's a tory paper putting a particular opouint of view just as the independent and guardian claim to be middle of the road. Read all believe nowt. To me daily mail reader conjures up an image of a semi-literate moron frothing at the mouth at imagined injustices without the intellectual capacity to read behind the latest headline. That is not snowfire, or you come to that, so my apologies if offence was given. I just read it to see what crap is being spun.
tabby

Bastyards

Post by tabby »

I used to travel an hour & a half each way to and from work. Adding 3 hours travel time to an 8 hour day would be bad enough but I was routinely working 9 and 10 hour days. Over time it became absolutely grueling and left me with little energy or free time. I didn't want to live in the city or suburbs and so yes, it was a personal decision to commute although a difficult one.

At one time, there was so much talk of how computers would free people up to be able to work from home but I haven't really seen that materialize into reality except for a lucky few. Why is that? I don't know how most employers feel about it and I realize there would be certain criteria based on the nature of the job.

If I were to return to the work force, I would probably try to get a job closer to home and settle for less pay if circumstances allowed it.

Oscar Namechange

Bastyards

gmc;1421510 wrote: You're a fascist oscar you and I are going to agree on some things but when it really comes down to it we're political opposites. You do what every fascist does in coming out with trite little phrases and anecdotes that seem reasonable and appeal to the baser human instinctto find a scapegoat but in doing so you overlook some of the real causes of our malaise. Yes there are scroungers and lazy bastards that won't get a job but compared to the damage done by bankers and politicians - get real they are not the problerm.

Fascism just does not work any more than communism will the only real difference is fascism is perhaps less hypocritical but nowadays they have to keep the naked desire fpr power and contriol hidden a bit better. . It's ironic that the success of the left in post war britain has resulted ultimately in a fascist state but then I'm inclined to believe there wil always be a to and fro - constnt conflict between right and left there always has been.

posted by bruv

That was a generic comment not intended for snowfire in particular who I don't think is a daily mail reader. Hang it all I read the rag myself so i suppose I am one I just don't believe everythung that's in it. It's a tory paper putting a particular opouint of view just as the independent and guardian claim to be middle of the road. Read all believe nowt. To me daily mail reader conjures up an image of a semi-literate moron frothing at the mouth at imagined injustices without the intellectual capacity to read behind the latest headline. That is not snowfire, or you come to that, so my apologies if offence was given. I just read it to see what crap is being spun.
Fascist, racist. Marxist. Communist, all words to shut down any argument while offering no actual reasonable reply for what is written.

Yes, the banking fiasco cost people their jobs and some their homes but so have other Industries but look around the world... no other country has had the government Incentives this country has to get long term unemployed back to work and they have failed. Now the government has had enough and moved the goal posts, everyone's complaining. Frankly, we've had It too easy In this country. Go to Greece, Spain, Portugal even Ireland and see how far someone will travel for a days work.

Whatever went before In the banking, we have spawned a generation of whiners who won't get on a bus to take a job because It means getting up early and the tax payers who do commute and put themselves out are supposed to keep them In welfare?

When we have a system where a coach driver's wife has to go to a food charity while another who has never worked Is eating out 5 times a week, there Is something seriously wrong with this country and the system.
gmc

Bastyards

Post by gmc »

oscar;1421512 wrote: Fascist, racist. Marxist. Communist, all words to shut down any argument while offering no actual reasonable reply for what is written.

Yes, the banking fiasco cost people their jobs and some their homes but so have other Industries but look around the world... no other country has had the government Incentives this country has to get long term unemployed back to work and they have failed. Now the government has had enough and moved the goal posts, everyone's complaining. Frankly, we've had It too easy In this country. Go to Greece, Spain, Portugal even Ireland and see how far someone will travel for a days work.

Whatever went before In the banking, we have spawned a generation of whiners who won't get on a bus to take a job because It means getting up early and the tax payers who do commute and put themselves out are supposed to keep them In welfare?

When we have a system where a coach driver's wife has to go to a food charity while another who has never worked Is eating out 5 times a week, there Is something seriously wrong with this country and the system.

Yes there's something seriously wrong with the country and the system but it's not people like your friend the bus driver and his wife that are the problem yet that is exactly the kind of people the tories are attacking and labelling as benefit scroungers. The other one who is eating out is probably committing fraud have you reported her to the authorities - that number they keep advertising that you should call. Are you sure she is on benefits have you asked her or are you just making that assumption?

I'm being nice calling you a fascist. You support a party that used to be the british nazi party and even had plans to stand as an MP for them. If you don't know what went on before in the banking or why our industry and agriculture is all but destroyed where were you? Asleep or what. It's a toss up which of the political parties is most to blame.

Return to “United Kingdom”