Bristol University Student Union Votes to Silence Women

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

21st century britain - hard to believe sometimes. Mind you we have the deserving and undeserving poor politics of the tory party and their 21st century vision of the workhouse, welfare to work programmes where companies get to employ people for nothing instead of going to all the bother of actually giving someone a job. Meanwhile we can't tax the rich or companies in case they get annoyed and leave the country. Bring back thatcher I say - at least she had enough character you could really despise her guts with the current lot it's like disliking jellyfish - you are left with the string feeling they donl;t have enough brain cells to be self aware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1411847 wrote: Bristol University Student Union Votes to Silence Women

21st century britain - hard to believe sometimes. Mind you we have the deserving and undeserving poor politics of the tory party and their 21st century vision of the workhouse, welfare to work programmes where companies get to employ people for nothing instead of going to all the bother of actually giving someone a job. Meanwhile we can't tax the rich or companies in case they get annoyed and leave the country. Bring back thatcher I say - at least she had enough character you could really despise her guts with the current lot it's like disliking jellyfish - you are left with the string feeling they donl;t have enough brain cells to be self aware.

They have got away with It because the ruling Is based on religious grounds and not laws or politics. That's the problem and It's no different from Muslim women being expected to wear the hijab or walk behind her husband even here In the UK, a democratic country.

As for our politicians, what do you expect with a coalition where the right are becoming more far right as each week goes by and the left becoming more liberal loony by the day?

Still, could be worse, Salmond could be PM
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

wonder how many women voted.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

LarsMac;1411853 wrote: wonder how many women voted.

The headline's totally and deliberately a wind-up. It was Bristol University's Christian Union, not the Student Union, who went for the high-profile nutters award. They are the high-profile minimal-membership loudmouth push-it-down-your-throat fundamentalist wing of evangelism, may they burn in the bowels of hell for eternity in consequence. To pretend they're representative of Bristol University Student Union is plain lying on the part of a press which loves inventing a story out of nothing.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Týr;1411881 wrote: The headline's totally and deliberately a wind-up. It was Bristol University's Christian Union, not the Student Union, who went for the high-profile nutters award. They are the high-profile minimal-membership loudmouth push-it-down-your-throat fundamentalist wing of evangelism, may they burn in the bowels of hell for eternity in consequence. To pretend they're representative of Bristol University Student Union is plain lying on the part of a press which loves inventing a story out of nothing.

The headline is accurate, it is bristol university and involved one of the student unions. They didn't invent the story this actually happened. The headline is designed to attract attention most people, unless they are daily mail readers, read more than the headlines. The article makes it perfectly clear they are referring to the Bristol university students Christian union. It caught my eye because one likes to think university students are bright enough or at least well educated enough not to be followers of a stone age religious ideology and in this day and age it is remarkable that anyone will use the bible to justify their right to treat others as inferiors. Or perhaps Bear in mind we have just had the church of England reject the right of women to be bishops and many have converted to Catholicism over the issue of female priest.

So the headline is accurate and was designed to attract attention - you may have issues with the construction of it but that's your problem. The story is not made up out of nothing it actually happened, it's topical in light of the current attempts by the religious to drag us back to the stone age and in no way did the article itself claim hint or otherwise insinuate that all bristol university students were bible thumping morons just a few of them fighting the good fight against tolerance and equality.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Either you're aware or you're not. Bristol University Student Union is a specific entity. Bristol University Christian Union is a different entity. Both have a student membership. The former is measured in tens of thousands, the latter I'd guess at a couple of hundred tops of whom maybe sixty are active, if that.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Týr;1411927 wrote: Either you're aware or you're not. Bristol University Student Union is a specific entity. Bristol University Christian Union is a different entity. Both have a student membership. The former is measured in tens of thousands, the latter I'd guess at a couple of hundred tops of whom maybe sixty are active, if that.

I'm perfectly well aware

The headline is accurate, it is bristol university and involved one of the student unions.

You have an issue with a headline that was clearly designed to catch the eye. Most people would realise that, no offence intended but I'm not interested in discussing the nuances of the english language with you Read the article. Bristol University also has numerous societies - there is no comment on the position taken by the catholic society or the islamic one, perhaps their women already know their place and haven't been opening their mouths to speak.

When you look closely at those biblical scholars responsible for the misogyny in the teachings of the church nowadays I suspect we would consider many of them dysfunctional at best if not actual sociopaths. Try saying that to a christian fundamentalist.
Týr

Post by Týr »

gmc;1411939 wrote: You have an issue with a headline that was clearly designed to catch the eye.
Just so. Exactly that. It's a reasonable issue to have raised. It may call itself the Christian Union but it's a society, and a damned trivial paltry one at that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I certainly caught on to the facts when reading it. I think anyone with relatively simple reading comprehension would get that.

My question still stands.

Is the christian student union comprised wholly of men?

If that is the case, I would think the vote quite silly and pointless.

If there are women in the union, I would be curious how they voted.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

On the other hand, the union vote was meant to affect the entire school policies for teachers and speakers.

So, I guess that members of this union will not attend lectures or classes led by women.

Perhaps they have more in common with the Talaban than with civilized society.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1411946 wrote: On the other hand, the union vote was meant to affect the entire school policies for teachers and speakers.

So, I guess that members of this union will not attend lectures or classes led by women.

Perhaps they have more in common with the Talaban than with civilized society.

No it was just those attending their meetings. I suspect there may be no female members IMO Fundamentalist Christians do have more in common with the Taliban than civilised society - after all they are taking their lead from what is virtually the same book.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, someone near Bristol, satisfy our curiosity by finding out how many, if any, female members there are in this union.

Please?

I know that here in the States, there are many fundy females who are fully on board with this type of thinking.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1412090 wrote: So, someone near Bristol, satisfy our curiosity by finding out how many, if any, female members there are in this union.

Please?

I know that here in the States, there are many fundy females who are fully on board with this type of thinking.

Can't find anything that shows total numbers never mind a breakdown by sex. This is just an obscure university christian union the article caught my eye that is all.

Not just in your country - many have left the church of england over the issue of allowing women vicars and recently the church of england synod voted against having female bishops with many women voting no. The Churches have repented historic anti-Semitism and endorsement of slavery, so maybe they will eventually get over this as well - who knows. It's depressing to realise that intelligent well educated people can come out with this kind of nonsense. The real reason behind the misogyny of the early christian church makes fascinating speculation. Self confident women terrify a lot of males.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Self confident women terrify a lot of males.
Ain't it the truth?

My wife, after all these years, can still scare the heck outa me.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1412090 wrote: So, someone near Bristol, satisfy our curiosity by finding out how many, if any, female members there are in this union.

Please?

I know that here in the States, there are many fundy females who are fully on board with this type of thinking. I could phone them If you ask me nicely
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Please do.

My curiosity is piqued.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1412244 wrote: Please do.

My curiosity is piqued.

I'll ring In the morning. No problem.
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1412197 wrote: Ain't it the truth?

My wife, after all these years, can still scare the heck outa me.

She uses one of these face masks things does she? I've tried telling my wife a paper bag would be a better way of improving her looks but the humour escapes her.

You know what they say about married men - Home is where you hang your head. anyway

posted by oscar

I could phone them If you ask me nicely

I don't think nicely is posting here any more why not phone anyway or better still let peter do it for you being male they might let him speak.

Return to “United Kingdom”