I still hate thatcher

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

I still hate thatcher

Post by gmc »

But I like Boris, about the only politician I don't want to throw things at.

Boris Johnson Tory Party Conference Speech 2012 Highlights - YouTube
Snowfire

I still hate thatcher

Post by Snowfire »

I do too but is he too much of a loose cannon to become Tory leader ? I think opinion is divided on that one
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

I still hate thatcher

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1407355 wrote: I do too but is he too much of a loose cannon to become Tory leader ? I think opinion is divided on that one

Who are the alternatives?
Snowfire

I still hate thatcher

Post by Snowfire »

None come to mind. He has by far the highest profile and his record as Mayor of London is a sound one. Do the Tory rank and file think he can be taken seriously, as his profile abroad will be dominated by our press's obsession with his buffoonery rather than his true ability
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

I still hate thatcher

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1407361 wrote: None come to mind. He has by far the highest profile and his record as Mayor of London is a sound one. Do the Tory rank and file think he can be taken seriously, as his profile abroad will be dominated by our press's obsession with his buffoonery rather than his true ability

Hmm - BJ heading a meeting of world leader discussing the Middle East crisis? Maybe not :-)
gmc

I still hate thatcher

Post by gmc »

I really don't know, he plays the part of the buffoon very well but I don't think he is. On the other hand some of the members of his party really are buffoons.

He also seems to have some integrity - remember in 2004 he went to liverpool to apologise for an article in the spectator? He didn't write it but as editor took responsibility and had the balls to actually go to liverpool and apologise.

BBC News - Hillsborough: David Cameron's dig at Boris Johnson

To judge by the huge mail I have received, that mistake caused real offence and hurt. Faced with such anger, any editor would feel obliged to make amends, and that is what I do now

Bit more than the editor of the sun did. It was genuine I think. Nowadays politicians apologise at the drop of a hat when all they are really sorry about is getting caught, it's not calling police plebs that make andrew Mitchell unfit it's fiddling his expenses.

Return to “United Kingdom”