Scott's wrecked ship Terra Nova found off Greenland

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Blast from the past

BBC News - Scott's wrecked ship Terra Nova found off Greenland
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1400925 wrote: Blast from the past

BBC News - Scott's wrecked ship Terra Nova found off Greenland

I find that really Interesting. I'm surprised there was anything left at all. Wasn't It entirely made of wood? But then maybe the silt preserved It.

Sonar mapping and aerial photography Is showing up all sorts these days. Hope I live long enough to see those three newly discovered pyramids excavated.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1401050 wrote: I find that really Interesting. I'm surprised there was anything left at all. Wasn't It entirely made of wood? But then maybe the silt preserved It.

Sonar mapping and aerial photography Is showing up all sorts these days. Hope I live long enough to see those three newly discovered pyramids excavated.

Three? They've just announced a site with dozens of new pyramids :-

BBC News - Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Marine Archaeology seems to me to be having a bit of a boom time. There are stories of stuff which seemed to be rather Von Daniken about sunken cities, but they might actually be turning up - and putting the date of early civilisation back by maybe tens of thousands of years. Saw a documentary series a while back which seemed a cut above the usual in that the evidence seemed pretty convincing about a bloke diving off Malta and India and in the Carribean (I think) and finding what certainly looked like extensive man made structures. He was an amateur, but he got at least one sceptic pro thinking very hard on camera and asking for time to consider things. Don't know the current state of play.

nb, I don't take much from documentaries as proving anything unless I'm pretty convinced about the makers of said doc. Don't know anything about this bloke, except as a single issue fanatic he seemed in this case to be on to something...

Mind you, my perception that Scott, though brave as you like, was a bit of a twit was probably got almost entirely from documentaries...

Hey ho. Consistency is for the small of mind.:p
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1401492 wrote: Marine Archaeology seems to me to be having a bit of a boom time. There are stories of stuff which seemed to be rather Von Daniken about sunken cities, but they might actually be turning up - and putting the date of early civilisation back by maybe tens of thousands of years. Saw a documentary series a while back which seemed a cut above the usual in that the evidence seemed pretty convincing about a bloke diving off Malta and India and in the Carribean (I think) and finding what certainly looked like extensive man made structures. He was an amateur, but he got at least one sceptic pro thinking very hard on camera and asking for time to consider things. Don't know the current state of play.

nb, I don't take much from documentaries as proving anything unless I'm pretty convinced about the makers of said doc. Don't know anything about this bloke,

except as a single issue fanatic he seemed in this case to be on to something...

Mind you, my perception that Scott, though brave as you like, was a bit of a twit was probably got almost entirely from documentaries...

Hey ho. Consistency is for the small of mind.:p

I think he was a bit of an arrogant twit as well although you probably shouldn't say that out loud. There's been a technical surge in underwater cameras and robot vehicles that are allowing access that wasn't there before. Malta in particular is a fascinating place to wonder around. It's not just malta and the bahamas they have also found ruins off Japan and india that tie in with what were thought to be legends about cities that were once there.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1401455 wrote: Three? They've just announced a site with dozens of new pyramids :-

BBC News - Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images I did see a doco that they were using aerial photography In Ancient Egypt but It was In the early stages. I hadn't seen anything published.... Can't wait to see news of excavations.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “United Kingdom”