Queen will welcome irish terrorist

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Martin McGuinness and Queen to shake hands 'in private' during landmark meeting next week - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Who'd have thought it. Mind you there are several former terrorists who are now respected statesmen and women. Who was the south african prime minister that released nelson mandela? How ironic his main claim to fame will be that release.
spot

Post by spot »

The Queen will meet with anyone she's advised to by her civil service. Martin McGuinness is the chap who's biting his lip and doing the right thing here, not her.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I respect the fact that many years have passed, water under the bridge, peace treaty etc etc etc but In the circumstances of Lord Mountbatten, some things are best remembered and never forgotten.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

On a personal level this no doubt has its difficulties for both sides. So what?

This is a political statement and one I rejoice to see. Lord knows there's enough nastiness in the world - this is something good.

Don't know if it will will hold, don't know how far it can be built on but it is another step on the road that takes us - symbolically if nothing else - away from more killing.

"Queen will welcome Irish Politician."

Yaaay!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Oh, and it was FW de Klerk who oversaw the transition to majority rules. Probably hasn't received fair credit for his role, imo.

spot

Post by spot »

One wonders who it will eventually be in Israel.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

If they are so lucky.

gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1397763 wrote: One wonders who it will eventually be in Israel.

Well the british had to contend with irgun and kehi and even in the throes of ww2 we didn't go in mob handed. There are interesting with the new states of israel and ireland having to fight those of the freedom fighters that were not happy with the otcomes.

Irgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the ship arrived the Israeli government, headed by Ben-Gurion, was adamant in its demand that the Irgun surrender and hand over all of the weapons. Ben-Gurion said: "We must decide whether to hand over power to Begin or to order him to cease his activities. If he does not do so, we will open fire! Otherwise, we must decide to disperse our own army."

in early 1947, "the British army in Mandate Palestine banned the use of the term 'terrorist' to refer to the Irgun zvai Leumi ... because it implied that British forces had reason to be terrified,"[63]

Now govt uses the word terrorist to justify invasion and draconian police powers.

Return to “United Kingdom”