Incredible event In 1967... The worst of British Racing.

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

1967 GRAND NATIONAL IN COLOUR,GREAT FOOTAGE,MUST SEE - YouTube

I did put this link In another thread so you may have seen It.

This race to this day Is still known as 'Disaster at the 23rd'

For those animal Lovers here.... No horses were Injured.

This race really was the point where the racing world open up it's eye's and safety measures began being put Into place for the horses such as emergency exits on the course for the horses to escape.

This horse that won this day was considered such a no hoper that neither his owner nor trainer bothered to turn out to see him run.

There-after 1967, the 23rd Hurdle was re-named 'The Foinavon Fence'.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1374447 wrote: 1967 GRAND NATIONAL IN COLOUR,GREAT FOOTAGE,MUST SEE - YouTube

I did put this link In another thread so you may have seen It.

This race to this day Is still known as 'Disaster at the 23rd'

For those animal Lovers here.... No horses were Injured.

This race really was the point where the racing world open up it's eye's and safety measures began being put Into place for the horses such as emergency exits on the course for the horses to escape.

This horse that won this day was considered such a no hoper that neither his owner nor trainer bothered to turn out to see him run.

There-after 1967, the 23rd Hurdle was re-named 'The Foinavon Fence'.

I checked out the video on the other thread. It was truly incredible.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

YZGI;1374451 wrote: I checked out the video on the other thread. It was truly incredible.

I myself believe that horse deserved a medal and quite rightly be placed among the hero's of Horse Racing.

As I said In my other thread, the pile up was brought about by horses sensing mortal danger on the other side of the 23rd Hurdle, began running backwards and side-ways. For Foinavon to continue meant he had the bravery of a lion.

He did defend his title the following year but he was brought down by another faller, If my memory serves me correct, at the 16th fence.

Anyway, I think that horse should have had an award at the time.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “United Kingdom”