we caused 50 tremors in Blackpool

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

But they won't stop.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 56397.html

This should even be debated but just banned outright. If these clowns cause damage it's not something they can ever make right. The same technique used in america has permanently destroyed underground aquifers yet they keep on going. Why do we accept this kind of behaviour?
spot

Post by spot »

This may seem a daft question to you but, if no damage has been caused by any of these fifty tremors, why is it a matter of concern? Had the Tower buckled I'd be keen to see the process modified but as it is, the process is evidently safe. None of the local water supply is drawn from anywhere within reach of the process, it's piped in from hill reservoirs tens of miles from the energy reserves. If "these clowns" cause damage I'm sure they'll pay remedial compensation but you might like to admit that so far they've not needed to.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1374291 wrote: This may seem a daft question to you but, if no damage has been caused by any of these fifty tremors, why is it a matter of concern? Had the Tower buckled I'd be keen to see the process modified but as it is, the process is evidently safe. None of the local water supply is drawn from anywhere within reach of the process, it's piped in from hill reservoirs tens of miles from the energy reserves. If "these clowns" cause damage I'm sure they'll pay remedial compensation but you might like to admit that so far they've not needed to.

If they do cause damage to the underground water supply no amount of remedial action will be able to fix it. Fifty tremors where before there had been none and you think there is no cause for concern?

U.S. Investigates Safety of Natural Gas "Fracking": Scientific American

Gasland | Watch Free Documentary Online

Gasland part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Enjoy, do some of your own research then tell me if you think we should listen to the drilling company.
spot

Post by spot »

Would you like to comment on my observation that no piped water comes from the water table they're fracking around with? Why is your US model relevant to Blackpool?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1374366 wrote: Would you like to comment on my observation that no piped water comes from the water table they're fracking around with? Why is your US model relevant to Blackpool?

These nutters didn't think they would cause earthquakes either. The potential damage is beyond repair and they really don't know the effect such activity will have. If you don't understand why the example of america is not relevant to us in europe then I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it.
spot

Post by spot »

I quite like the idea of fracking so long as it doesn't get pollutants into the drinking water. It can get pollutants into ground water until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned. The Americans in the places affected drink ground water rather like Indians drink it - from pumped or artesian wells, out of the water table. The Indians get a lot of arsenic contamination as a result, the Americans just don't check so they can't be sued for having known. When pollutants increase, American water companies reduce the rate at which they do background checks just to get fewer positives. They did that this year for radioactive counts after the Japanese blew up their coastal reactors.

England uses rain water and recycled water, we don't pump out from the water table for drinking purposes. My water's grown in the Welsh hills and so is that for Liverpool and Manchester. Whether Welsh water gets round as far as Blackpool I couldn't say. Neither can I remember, off-hand, whether the national water grid has been completed yet, but it's been on the cards for a long time.

I'd have thought anything that made the water table unusable would be a good thing. While that long-term water has commercial value it'll be extracted. If it's made valueless it'll be left in place and allowed to build up in volume again. The extent of subsidence caused by lowered water tables is a lot more costly than water companies losing the use of the water table. Maybe it'll force the sods to tighten up their pipework and lose less.

Some farmers use groundwater from the water table. I don't expect dissolved methane will make it less useful for agriculture. The farmers still have to pay their local commercial water authority for the water they pump out even though it's from their own land - now that's an abomination if ever there was one. Shareholder greed gone mad, that is.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1374391 wrote: I quite like the idea of fracking so long as it doesn't get pollutants into the drinking water. It can get pollutants into ground water until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned. The Americans in the places affected drink ground water rather like Indians drink it - from pumped or artesian wells, out of the water table. The Indians get a lot of arsenic contamination as a result, the Americans just don't check so they can't be sued for having known. When pollutants increase, American water companies reduce the rate at which they do background checks just to get fewer positives. They did that this year for radioactive counts after the Japanese blew up their coastal reactors.

England uses rain water and recycled water, we don't pump out from the water table for drinking purposes. My water's grown in the Welsh hills and so is that for Liverpool and Manchester. Whether Welsh water gets round as far as Blackpool I couldn't say. Neither can I remember, off-hand, whether the national water grid has been completed yet, but it's been on the cards for a long time.

I'd have thought anything that made the water table unusable would be a good thing. While that long-term water has commercial value it'll be extracted. If it's made valueless it'll be left in place and allowed to build up in volume again. The extent of subsidence caused by lowered water tables is a lot more costly than water companies losing the use of the water table. Maybe it'll force the sods to tighten up their pipework and lose less.

Some farmers use groundwater from the water table. I don't expect dissolved methane will make it less useful for agriculture. The farmers still have to pay their local commercial water authority for the water they pump out even though it's from their own land - now that's an abomination if ever there was one. Shareholder greed gone mad, that is.

America is destroying it's own environment make vast areas uninhabitable but they dismiss anyone pointing this out as a left wing tree hugging nutter. That's their problem except they have shown a predication for going to war over resources.

We don't need to do this there are other ways to get energy but the profits for the big oil companies are not so great. You surprise me you really do. I thought you were reasonably intelligent, you really don't see anything wrong with these kind of techniques and the cavalier attitude of the drilling company? Oops we caused and earthquake, that was unexpected, but we'll be more careful from now on? The only reason BP no longer put dangerous chemicals in to the environment is because of environmental activists, the only reason we are beginning to clean up our rivers is because we have curbed some of the use of herbicides and insecticides, the only reason we don't have the same feminisation of the male population in Europe as they do in america is because we have banned the use of some hormones in cattle and we don't assume every environmentalist is a nutter. . By the time americans wake up to the consequences of letting companies do as they wish it will be too late to redress the balance. We donlt have to go tyhe same way.

As to the national water grid no it hasn't been completed yet. A more sensible approach would be to stop building where there is not enough water to support them.
spot

Post by spot »

gmc;1374543 wrote: Oops we caused and earthquake, that was unexpected, but we'll be more careful from now on?I think the point of the 50 tremors in Blackpool was that they didn't cause an earthquake, neither have they polluted anyone's drinking water. Every month Bristol University measures events within ten miles of my house of the same magnitude as those fifty tremors.

It's a background non-damaging scale, calling them quakes is not what language is for. It's like people worrying about man-made radiation from reactors, the levels are swamped by the natural background there too even after releases like this year's in Japan. When I'm more likely to be killed by lightning than by the processes being complained about, I shelve the complaints as trivial contrived attempts at misinformation.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;1374549 wrote: I think the point of the 50 tremors in Blackpool was that they didn't cause an earthquake, neither have they polluted anyone's drinking water. Every month Bristol University measures events within ten miles of my house of the same magnitude as those fifty tremors.

It's a background non-damaging scale, calling them quakes is not what language is for. It's like people worrying about man-made radiation from reactors, the levels are swamped by the natural background there too even after releases like this year's in Japan. When I'm more likely to be killed by lightning than by the processes being complained about, I shelve the complaints as trivial contrived attempts at misinformation.

From the report

The report, which the energy firm commissioned, concluded it is "highly probable" that Cuadrilla's operations were responsible for two tremors which hit Lancashire. The first, of magnitude 2.3 on the Richter scale, hit the Fylde Coast on 1 April followed by a second of magnitude 1.4 on 27 May. The report, which is being sent to the Government, has intensified the controversy around "fracking", or hydraulic fracturing, which involves pumping water, sand and chemicals at high pressure into shale rock, to release the gas it holds.

The company sought to play down the impact of its activities, saying that it had probably triggered "a number of minor seismic events". But when The Independent interviewed [QUOTE]Stefan Baisch, one of the report's authors, he admitted that the actual number was 50.

How big do they have to be before you think it might be a problem. Are you going to claim the reports authors have a poor understanding of the english language? Highly probable means they can't say it was them beyond all doubt but they are fairly certain it was.
spot

Post by spot »

The biggest was Richter magnitude 2.3.

Magnitude / Intensity Comparison uses a magnitude scale equivalent to Richter. They're logarithmic scales. You need an increase of intensity of a factor of a hundred on the largest you're talking about before you reach even "Felt indoors by many, outdoors by few during the day. At night, some awakened. Dishes, windows, doors disturbed; walls make cracking sound. Sensation like heavy truck striking building. Standing motor cars rocked noticeably".

Or are you suggesting these minor tremors indicate that worse is on the cards? I see the tremors as an indication of the point at which the fracking energies are dissipated, I can't see why any in the future is going to be orders of magnitude larger.

Return to “United Kingdom”