Who nicked the off button then?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I don't actually watch programme so haven't a clue what they are on about. I don't watch it because I find it boring, I don't watch big brother either for much the same reason. What is wrong with these people, why not just change the channel or use the off button if they find it upsetting.

BBC News - Strictly Come Dancing gets 'raunchy' complaints
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

What's an off bitton ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1374061 wrote: What's an off bitton ?

Corrected :p

If they changed channel then what would they have to complain about? Think of it, their lives would be empty!
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1374068 wrote: Corrected :p

Thanks.... For a minute I thought he was posting about a sick marsh bird.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Boy they better not watch the US version called "Dancing with the Stars" Bruno and Len are judges on it also.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

gmc

Post by gmc »

:o I can spell can type why is it I can't quiote manage both togehir.
theia

Post by theia »

If people are upset about the content of a programme, why shouldn't they complain? I would imagine that some of the devotees of SCD didn't want to turn off the programme but wanted to make their point about the content.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bring back Mary Whitehouse........yes seriously.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1374088 wrote: Bring back Mary Whitehouse........yes seriously.

I am offended by the prurient, especially those who think sex is the original sin.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1374128 wrote: I am offended by the prurient, especially those who think sex is the original sin.

Prurient:Inordinately interested in matters of sex....Arousing or appealing to an inordinate interest in sex.

What about somebody that points out the failure of the media to protect the innocence of children by their inappropriate content ?

Any inappropriate or untimely content ?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1374146 wrote: Prurient:Inordinately interested in matters of sex....Arousing or appealing to an inordinate interest in sex.

What about somebody that points out the failure of the media to protect the innocence of children by their inappropriate content ?

Any inappropriate or untimely content ?

Perhaps parents that don't have the common sense not to let their children watch unsuitable programmes need someone to point out the failure of the media on the other hand perhaps a training session in the use of the off button would be beneficial to them.

There are some things that I agree should perhaps not be on TV till after a watershed but speaking as an adult I don't need some self appointed prurient half wit to dictate what should and what shouldn't be on television.
Oscar Namechange

I don't care what's on TV.... I have a remote control.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1374161 wrote: Perhaps parents that don't have the common sense not to let their children watch unsuitable programmes need someone to point out the failure of the media on the other hand perhaps a training session in the use of the off button would be beneficial to them.

There are some things that I agree should perhaps not be on TV till after a watershed but speaking as an adult I don't need some self appointed prurient half wit to dictate what should and what shouldn't be on television.

Well I am a parent, and I am very happy to have anybody guard against inappropriate and untimely displays of material on a medium that is available 24 hours a day at the flick of a switch in my home.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1374172 wrote: Well I am a parent, and I am very happy to have anybody guard against inappropriate and untimely displays of material on a medium that is available 24 hours a day at the flick of a switch in my home.

Yes but who and what? Should we have a ban on any programmes that highlight issues people would like to pretend don't exist like teenage pregnancy or domestic abuse, several soap's have got in to trouble for just exactly that kind of thing, Grange Hill upset a lot of people for portraying schools in an unkind light. People dancing wear skimpy costumes pop videos hint insinuate and otherwise imply sex is a normal activity for young people anything suggesting homosexuality is in any way acceptable has the holy rollers throwing their toys out the pram.

Where you have an appearance of strict morality and people worry more about the appearance of adherence to that same morality you very often have an underbelly where the most appalling abuses are covered up because people don't want to hear about it. Look at all the child abuses cases coming to light only now when the victims are adults because they were children at a time when they were assumed to be liars and no one wanted to know or was willing to accuse a respected individual of something so heinous. Nowadays we think hitting a child is wrong when I was a kid it was accepted as necessary. I received the belt for stupid things like forgetting a ruler or gym kit.

I'd agree we need some guidelines let's just not listen to the prurient or the religious bigot.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I can give you a recent 'for instance' to illustrate my point of view, with which I believe you might agree.

The capture of Gadaffi in all it's blood soaked gore, would not very long ago have been a few images, with warnings, not the grotesque footage we saw.

Forget about any politics involved or any morality of those involved, that for me was too much information at 6 pm.

Believe me I am not a prude, and I am not anti gay, enjoy a curse when it's due, and object to censorship in most forms, but for a medium such as TV that is delivered into the home, some things are not appropriate.

Return to “United Kingdom”