Say it with paint.

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

BBC News - Nick Clegg hit by blue paint in Glasgow protest

Not clear whether it was a rangers or a Celtic fan. Joking aside maybe he will begin to understand why the libdems will disappear in the next election. Shame really they almost git there - again. It's the liblab pact of the seventies all over again and another thirty years in the wilderness to come.
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1367211 wrote: BBC News - Nick Clegg hit by blue paint in Glasgow protest

Not clear whether it was a rangers or a Celtic fan. Joking aside maybe he will begin to understand why the libdems will disappear in the next election. Shame really they almost git there - again. It's the liblab pact of the seventies all over again and another thirty years in the wilderness to come. Yes, I had to stifle a guffaw when I read this yesterday. I did consider putting It on as a thread but was concerned I may upset the one Lib Dem voter In the process and I really can't bear to see them cry.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

That should be SAY it with paint. In my defence I would point out that the T and Y are next to each other on the keyboard. [Note: thread title subsequently corrected by a passing moderator]

I used to be a libdem voter I'm scunnered with the lot of them.

Personally i am coming round to the idea that throwing things at politicians shpuld be encouraged.
Bruv

Say it with paint.

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1367227 wrote:

I used to be a libdem voter I'm scunnered with the lot of them.

Could be worse, you could be fracked with them ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1367229 wrote: Could be worse, you could be fracked with them ?

Always annoys me when they do that - If you're going to swear just use the proper word, it's not as though no one can guess the meaning.
Bruv

Say it with paint.

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1367231 wrote: Always annoys me when they do that - If you're going to swear just use the proper word, it's not as though no one can guess the meaning.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/conse ... ost1367169

Its not me.....
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1367233 wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/conse ... ost1367169

Its not me.....

I got fed up with battlestar galactica, seems if they get a hit series the tv companies feel compelled to drag it out longer than they have to. Same with the spin off, caprica, interesting but oh so slow.
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, well, compromise isn't a popular word but it the practical one that governs this coalition. Lib Dems have to put up with things we don't particularly like - especially as the junior partner of the coalition. Nor do you choose the circumstances when you get power. We do have a government that will at least last for a few years, with a policy that has the markets believing UKplc is a viable proposition. Personally I think this is a better response to the situation the country was in at the last election than assuming a posture of extreme political purity and watching the country go down the tubes - especially when as a party we can have some actual influence on proceedings.

If the Lib Dems had hung back, the result would have been a minority Tory administration that lasted perhaps 6 months, another election, and either a hung parliament or a Tory majority. In other words, the same situation or worse and six months wasted.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Sorry Clod but when the Lib Dems are being returned behind the BNP, It's time to kiss It all goodbye.

Neither will want an election for they know what would happen... neither would get the majority.

Clegg Is finished.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1367288 wrote: Yeah, well, compromise isn't a popular word but it the practical one that governs this coalition. Lib Dems have to put up with things we don't particularly like - especially as the junior partner of the coalition. Nor do you choose the circumstances when you get power. We do have a government that will at least last for a few years, with a policy that has the markets believing UKplc is a viable proposition. Personally I think this is a better response to the situation the country was in at the last election than assuming a posture of extreme political purity and watching the country go down the tubes - especially when as a party we can have some actual influence on proceedings.

If the Lib Dems had hung back, the result would have been a minority Tory administration that lasted perhaps 6 months, another election, and either a hung parliament or a Tory majority. In other words, the same situation or worse and six months wasted.

He also completely screwed up the chance for proportional representation. He should have made that conditional on his support, nit just a referendum but an actual change. Labour allowed it in scotland because they never believed the SNP would get anywhere and it would end up in hung parliaments at worst. Unfortunately for them scots have twigged that voting actually makes a difference, whether that will carry on to the Westminster election is a moot point.
theia

Say it with paint.

Post by theia »

oscar;1367218 wrote: Yes, I had to stifle a guffaw when I read this yesterday. I did consider putting It on as a thread but was concerned I may upset the one Lib Dem voter In the process and I really can't bear to see them cry.

I wouldn't have cried, Oscar, promise I wouldn't :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

I agree the Lib Dems appear finished. I also think they've done the right thing for the country in the circumstances but are going to suffer because people hurt and want someone to kick. This was entirely predictable and it's for that reason this government has been set up to be fixed term - so we actually get to the end of it before being judged by the electorate. It is entirely likely we'll go down the tubes at that point, but whether or no, we'll have done the right thing as a Party and acted in the interests of the Country, NOT the Party. As everyone and his family tell us, the sensible thing for the Liberal Democrats would have been to let a minority Tory Govt fail to deal with any of the issues and take all the shyt - and damn the needs of the country while all this Party politics is going on.

He also completely screwed up the chance for proportional representation. He should have made that conditional on his support, nit just a referendum but an actual change. Labour allowed it in scotland because they never believed the SNP would get anywhere and it would end up in hung parliaments at worst. Unfortunately for them scots have twigged that voting actually makes a difference, whether that will carry on to the Westminster election is a moot point

Clegg couldn't get PR conditional on his support. It was a step too far for the Tories who realise perfectly well that would hammer their electoral base. English Tories had the example of Scotland under PR to deter them, if any were needed. Then of course the Murdoch Press and Mail and Telegraph made damn sure the issues were as clouded and trivialised as they could be. It was also a time when the Lib Dems were wrestling with being new ministers and assessing the horrendous state of the finances and they didn't present well, imo. In short, a thorough disaster.

But Clegg needs to make a success of dealing with the mess that is the state of Human Rights in this country. His clock as leader is definitely ticking.

gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1367351 wrote: I agree the Lib Dems appear finished. I also think they've done the right thing for the country in the circumstances but are going to suffer because people hurt and want someone to kick. This was entirely predictable and it's for that reason this government has been set up to be fixed term - so we actually get to the end of it before being judged by the electorate. It is entirely likely we'll go down the tubes at that point, but whether or no, we'll have done the right thing as a Party and acted in the interests of the Country, NOT the Party. As everyone and his family tell us, the sensible thing for the Liberal Democrats would have been to let a minority Tory Govt fail to deal with any of the issues and take all the shyt - and damn the needs of the country while all this Party politics is going on.

Clegg couldn't get PR conditional on his support. It was a step too far for the Tories who realise perfectly well that would hammer their electoral base. English Tories had the example of Scotland under PR to deter them, if any were needed. Then of course the Murdoch Press and Mail and Telegraph made damn sure the issues were as clouded and trivialised as they could be. It was also a time when the Lib Dems were wrestling with being new ministers and assessing the horrendous state of the finances and they didn't present well, imo. In short, a thorough disaster.

But Clegg needs to make a success of dealing with the mess that is the state of Human Rights in this country. His clock as leader is definitely ticking.

I agree with you up to a point but afterwards we will go back to punch and judy politics and nothing will have changed. On the other hand had he walked away and the tories got only those policies the LIbdems supported and opposed those they didn't we might have ended with the same result policy wise. With another election voters might have realised there was actually some point to voting libdem and broken the back of the two party system. The only argument either of the two parties can come up with is the old wasted vote chestnut. People aren't stupid but tend to vote for the least disliked party. They didn't need the tories the tories needed them. Her played his hand badly. They did the same in the eighties with the liblab pact. They could have made a difference then as well instead we had a decade of thatcher. I would dispute he has one the best thing for the country. He's blown a chance top make a real difference and is obviously treated with contempt by the tories.

Incidentally the scots tories think PR wonderful - it's the only way the actually have any seats as all.
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

I agree with you up to a point but afterwards we will go back to punch and judy politics and nothing will have changed. On the other hand had he walked away and the tories got only those policies the LIbdems supported and opposed those they didn't we might have ended with the same result policy wise. With another election voters might have realised there was actually some point to voting libdem and broken the back of the two party system. (my bold)

That's two very big "mights" in close proximity, while the finances crash. Perhaps that is a price we will have to pay, but...shudder...the pain that's going on now is as nothing to what it would be like taking Greek medicine. Should the Lib Dems really have risked that for a really fairly remote possibility? In the following election, it seems more likely that the country would wearily and with reluctance have put in a Tory Govt with an overall majority just so the country had a government able to respond to the crises. Which by that point would be much worse. I don't think the country would have elected a Lib Dem majority govt which had no experience in living memory of power and necessarily very inexperienced MPs. There would have been chaos for a year, at a time when chaos could not be afforded.

We both seem to want to end up in much the same place, but disagree on methods. You want a higher risk/higher gain approach; I don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding and the price of failure is not something I would willingly visit on the UK. Does our end really justify your means?

I think the Lib Dems have to slog along doing unglamorous stuff well and making sure important elements of the Lib Dem agenda like Human Rights and issues of Press control are dealt with effectively. Given these issues are not in themselves financially that expensive, we may have some hope. Imo, Clegg did a great job getting us where we are, but he has to be able to take us on from here. He hasn't so far, in a clear way. I can excuse this as someone getting used to a new and fairly unprecedented job at a tough time, but he must now start to SHOW. There are some indications this is starting to happen, but it's hard to see yet. Though I think there are Lib Dem hands all over the Murdoch issue I can't prove it, and his comments to date on Human Rights have been nothing but sense (so far as I've seen). All is not lost. But it's a rough and bumpy road!

gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1367363 wrote: (my bold)

That's two very big "mights" in close proximity, while the finances crash. Perhaps that is a price we will have to pay, but...shudder...the pain that's going on now is as nothing to what it would be like taking Greek medicine. Should the Lib Dems really have risked that for a really fairly remote possibility? In the following election, it seems more likely that the country would wearily and with reluctance have put in a Tory Govt with an overall majority just so the country had a government able to respond to the crises. Which by that point would be much worse. I don't think the country would have elected a Lib Dem majority govt which had no experience in living memory of power and necessarily very inexperienced MPs. There would have been chaos for a year, at a time when chaos could not be afforded.

We both seem to want to end up in much the same place, but disagree on methods. You want a higher risk/higher gain approach; I don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding and the price of failure is not something I would willingly visit on the UK. Does our end really justify your means?

I think the Lib Dems have to slog along doing unglamorous stuff well and making sure important elements of the Lib Dem agenda like Human Rights and issues of Press control are dealt with effectively. Given these issues are not in themselves financially that expensive, we may have some hope. Imo, Clegg did a great job getting us where we are, but he has to be able to take us on from here. He hasn't so far, in a clear way. I can excuse this as someone getting used to a new and fairly unprecedented job at a tough time, but he must now start to SHOW. There are some indications this is starting to happen, but it's hard to see yet. Though I think there are Lib Dem hands all over the Murdoch issue I can't prove it, and his comments to date on Human Rights have been nothing but sense (so far as I've seen). All is not lost. But it's a rough and bumpy road!

The one that really angers me is university fees. I am one of a generation that benefited from the notion that access should be available to all. To have that taken away by two public schoolboys annoys me intensely. We can find enough to bomb llibya and bail out the banks bit not enough for education. I'm sorry but after voting libdem all these years they have lost my vote from now on. I want to punch him every tome I see him on TV. The paint throwing may be childish but it says a lot about how angry people are
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

The one that realu angers me is university fees. I am one of a generation that benefited from the notion that access should be available to all. To have that taken away by two public schoolboys annoys me intensely. We can find enough to bomb llibya and bail out the banks bit not enough for education. I'm sorry but after voting libdem all these years they have lost my vote from now on. I want to punch him every tome I see him on TV. The paint throwing may be childish but it says a lot about how angry people are

In England, I fear very much that anything that can be done by this government is only papering over some gaping cracks. The whole system is bust. We actually have to go back to first principles and decide what we want from our system at each stage and (imo) introduce a serious vocational side. Too many governments have tinkered for short term political gain. I feel education should be answerable to, but outside the direct control of, politicians.

Access should be available to all, but I think perhaps 20% of those who have gone to Uni in the last decade should never have been there. Unis should be about top end thinking and research as their primary concern, not about churning out hordes of barely adequate graduates. Not to mention GCSEs where market forces are loose and conspire to make each year's exam easier than the last so that a quarter of all kids get the top two grades. No. It's all gone to hell. Needs a look at from the ground up. Anyway, access free to all vanished when student grants arrived, well before this government. We're way past the point where the answer is a bit of cash.

Dunno exactly what the situation is north of the border. I thought your parliament had some autonomy in these matters.

edit: I'm all in favour of egging our politicians. I'll even go with paint, in a pinch. But I don't want it to escalate beyond that.

gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1367390 wrote: In England, I fear very much that anything that can be done by this government is only papering over some gaping cracks. The whole system is bust. We actually have to go back to first principles and decide what we want from our system at each stage and (imo) introduce a serious vocational side. Too many governments have tinkered for short term political gain. I feel education should be answerable to, but outside the direct control of, politicians.

Access should be available to all, but I think perhaps 20% of those who have gone to Uni in the last decade should never have been there. Unis should be about top end thinking and research as their primary concern, not about churning out hordes of barely adequate graduates. Not to mention GCSEs where market forces are loose and conspire to make each year's exam easier than the last so that a quarter of all kids get the top two grades. No. It's all gone to hell. Needs a look at from the ground up. Anyway, access free to all vanished when student grants arrived, well before this government. We're way past the point where the answer is a bit of cash.

Dunno exactly what the situation is north of the border. I thought your parliament had some autonomy in these matters.

edit: I'm all in favour of egging our politicians. I'll even go with paint, in a pinch. But I don't want it to escalate beyond that.

I agree with you about some of the university courses. The way things are going they will be able portray their experiences on the dole in music and dance.

There seems to be a concerted attack on the professionalism of teachers, this idea that you can walk in from industry or the forces. and somehow be a great teacher and that teaching is a cushy number. Secondary teaching in Scotland is an all graduate profession, you need a degree in maths, physics etc to teach the subject as well as a years teachers training or you can do a bsc in educational psychology with a subject qualification. Yo need to be able to pass the teaching practice. The lab technician in my wife's school (she's a chemistry teacher) has a PHD - she failed the teaching practice.

Did you see Jamie's school of horrors? You could see where some of them were gong so wrong right from the word go.
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

theia;1367348 wrote: I wouldn't have cried, Oscar, promise I wouldn't :wah: :wah::wah::wah:

Well, I can not say too much or else I will be killed but the BNP could be finished by the end of September.

Mainly thanks to the riots, memberships have risen this month by 20 %, a massive Increase and we are dealing with a lot of enquiries but that will all go tits up thanks to a 'Panorama' special about to be screened at the end of September about NG... It's not going to be pretty that's all I can say !!!
Bruv

Say it with paint.

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1367475 wrote:

Mainly thanks to the riots, memberships have risen this month by 20%,................

Panorama' special about to be screened at the end of September about NG... It's not going to be pretty that's all I can say !!!

Why the riots ?

And have they discovered he is a sleaze ball ?
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Bruv;1367487 wrote: Why the riots ?

And have they discovered he is a sleaze ball ?

Not sure why the riots. I have had myself many new enquiries to follow up In my area and It's the same all over the country.

NG won the recent leadership challenge by just 9 votes.

I really can't say about what Is happening with NG, I really can't but If found guilty, 9 people would be wising to hell they voted for the contender. The Panorama special will say It all.
Bruv

Say it with paint.

Post by Bruv »

I shall put that in my diary.....Panorama end of September.....right
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Bruv;1367493 wrote: I shall put that in my diary.....Panorama end of September.....right Yeah, should be last week of September, they have been Investigating NG for a year now. When I get the prior warning, I will let you know the exact date. Please note, this Is not about the Party but NG himself. Nick's getting ready for the fall out, blogging away today.
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

Just seen V for Vendetta.

It's not a bad portrayal of the Britain the BNP would create.

Bruv: Griffin has been downgraded to sleazeball? Blimey. It must be a very flattering Panorama.

Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Clodhopper;1367529 wrote: Just seen V for Vendetta.

Bruv: Griffin has been downgraded to sleazeball? Blimey. It must be a very flattering Panorama.

Innocent until proven guilty remember?

He may be a slimeball but he's OUR slimeball. :yh_rotfl
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

Since I don't know the current charges I have no opinion on them. Yet.

My opinion of him and his band of thugs is already so low that sleazeball is a comparative compliment.

I will be interested to see whether and in what direction BNP campaigning techniques have moved on from shaking up dog poo with water and pouring it through the letterboxes of people they disapprove of.

Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Clodhopper;1367540 wrote: Since I don't know the current charges I have no opinion on them. Yet.

My opinion of him and his band of thugs is already so low that sleazeball is a comparative compliment.

I will be interested to see whether and in what direction BNP campaigning techniques have moved on from shaking up dog poo with water and pouring it through the letterboxes of people they disapprove of.

And your evidence of this? Or was this a NOTW episode?

Show me the evidence.

Coming from a man who until I myself Informed him a year ago, had never heard of the UAF. Coming from a man who just over a year ago called me a liar on this forum when I stated that the BNP had gone to Yorkshire police with evidence of Asian peadophile grooming, You will excuse me If I surpress a guffaw at your silly comments.

Unlike you and many others, I actually know the man you are talking about but you just keep reading the tabloids If It makes you feel better dear.
Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

I agree with you about some of the university courses. The way things are going they will be able portray their experiences on the dole in music and dance.

...media studies...puke.

There seems to be a concerted attack on the professionalism of teachers, this idea that you can walk in from industry or the forces. and somehow be a great teacher and that teaching is a cushy number. Secondary teaching in Scotland is an all graduate profession, you need a degree in maths, physics etc to teach the subject as well as a years teachers training or you can do a bsc in educational psychology with a subject qualification. Yo need to be able to pass the teaching practice. The lab technician in my wife's school (she's a chemistry teacher) has a PHD - she failed the teaching practice.

Used to be like that when I was a teacher. But they can't get people to do the job. People from the forces or industry CAN (of course) make great teachers, and their wider experience be an advantage. But it is not a given. No-one really knows if they can teach until they stand up and try. And sometimes the bright and really highly qualified like your wife's techie find it nigh on impossible to teach because they cannot understand why the obvious to them is not obvious to others.

There are undoubtedly some poor teachers around. Generally, the schools know who they are but can't find replacements. Be a teacher - be highly qualified, exhausted, and poor for the rest of your working life. Very attractive.

If it weren't for the kids, no-one would do it. And yes, I still miss the kids. Not enough to go back to being permanently exhausted, though. Now I'm just poor and highly qualified - a definite advance!

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach." It's still what most in business really think of teachers.

Did you see Jamie's school of horrors? You could see where some of them were gong so wrong right from the word go.

Nope. Never heard of it. Missed most of him in an American school trying to do something about their diet, and that was interesting and something I wanted to watch (as much for the American dinner ladies as him!). Seems like a genuine bloke, so far as one can tell.

Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

Show me the evidence.

I have already. When we were arguing about the BNP last time. I'll see if I can go back and find it for you. Never done this before, so it might not work. Iirc, it was called Dog Poo and a desire for Mass Murder. It was based on a secret video shot by someone who had joined the BNP believing, like you, it ws a basically decent organisation much misrepresented. When he found out it really was a racist fascistic organisation he agreed to film and this is what those BNP members were filmed boasting about.

Clodhopper

Say it with paint.

Post by Clodhopper »

Couldn't find my article after a quick dig. HAVE found the video:

BNP Exposed - The Secret Agent BBC part 1 of 7 - YouTube

Watch from 8mins 30 secs.

gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1367529 wrote: Just seen V for Vendetta.

Good film but it annoys the life out of me. How did Guy Fawkes end up as a defender of democracy? It's a revision of history too far IMO. The religious wars were not simply about bigotry I don't think we should forget it. OK I don't like the orange lodge and all the bigotry they perpetuate but at the same time we should not forget what was fought for.
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

Clodhopper;1367573 wrote: Couldn't find my article after a quick dig. HAVE found the video:

BNP Exposed - The Secret Agent BBC part 1 of 7 - YouTube

Watch from 8mins 30 secs.

Try watching this one... Note what she says to the Black Christian Church...

Battle For Barking - Barking Mad Margaret - YouTube

Get In the real world Clod Instead of regurgitating tired old edited clips.
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

Be interesting to see if they can get regulation for the banks through. If they can't because of tory intransigence then I think they should end the coalition and force an election.

City hits back at Vince Cable over banking reform comments | Business | The Guardian

Business groups have argued that a weak domestic economy and eurozone turmoil mean banks shouldn't be burdened with extra regulation. Angela Knight, the head of the British Banking Association, said: "The emphasis at the moment should be on economic recovery rather than another assault on the banks."

CBI chief John Cridland said on Tuesday: "Taking action at this moment, which weakens the ability of banks to provide the finance businesses need to grow, is barking mad."

What planet are these pillocks on? I think they should appoint new directors to every bank and staple the testicles of the boards of directors who were in charge of the bank when it needed a bailout to the door of every boardroom as a warning. Fred the shred should be in stocks in RBS headquarters so every employee who has lost his job can kick the bastard. Extreme perhaps but effective I think in driving the point home. Remember when the board of RBS threatened to resign? it should have been accepted.

I have a soft spot for Blair and Brown, it's a bog in the far north of Scotland where no one will find them.
Oscar Namechange

Say it with paint.

gmc;1367695 wrote:

I have a soft spot for Blair and Brown, it's a bog in the far north of Scotland where no one will find them. You leave Gordon alone...
gmc

Say it with paint.

Post by gmc »

I see they are now talking about leaving it till after 2015. The one thing they really need to do and they want to keep in with their cronies. If the libdems cave in on this one I give up, they should walk away from the coalition.

Return to “United Kingdom”