General Strike in the offing?

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Public sector strikes to go ahead - Home News, UK - The Independent

Looks like London underground will be out as well. Fist general strike of the 21st century do you think? Scottish teachers look set to strike as well.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1361708 wrote: Public sector strikes to go ahead - Home News, UK - The Independent

Looks like London underground will be out as well. Fist general strike of the 21st century do you think? Scottish teachers look set to strike as well.

It has a long way to go before it becomes a general strike but it's headed that way.

I can understand why the public sector workers are striking as they are taking a disproportionate portion of the cuts but why are the RMT striking over a case that's in the hands of the Employment Tribunal? Either they think the guy's not got a case and they're trying to pressure the tribunal into a skewed decision or they're using it as an excuse to strike. If they believe that the guy will win and either be compensated or re-instated then striking before the verdict is in is a nonsense.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1361710 wrote: It has a long way to go before it becomes a general strike but it's headed that way.

I can understand why the public sector workers are striking as they are taking a disproportionate portion of the cuts but why are the RMT striking over a case that's in the hands of the Employment Tribunal? Either they think the guy's not got a case and they're trying to pressure the tribunal into a skewed decision or they're using it as an excuse to strike. If they believe that the guy will win and either be compensated or re-instated then striking before the verdict is in is a nonsense.

I don't know the ins and outs of the RMT grievance - was it nopt involving one f the union representatives? Any way you do get a sense that the peasants are beginning to get really pissed off at what has been going on. It's labour That get me - they try and pretend the current mess has nothing to do with them - they really do believe we are all that stupid i think.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1361712 wrote: I don't know the ins and outs of the RMT grievance - was it nopt involving one f the union representatives? Any way you do get a sense that the peasants are beginning to get really pissed off at what has been going on. It's labour That get me - they try and pretend the current mess has nothing to do with them - they really do believe we are all that stupid i think.

All politicians work on the assumption that voters are stupid - and most of the time they're right.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

seems to me reading that article they have a good reason to strike.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1361717 wrote: seems to me reading that article they have a good reason to strike.

The RMT or the public sector workers?
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1361717 wrote: seems to me reading that article they have a good reason to strike.

They do and they don't the public sector pensions are not sustainable in their present form but governments for the last thirty years have avoided facing up to the reality and doing somnething about it. The public sector is bigger than the private industrial sector who ultimately are the ones that actually pay for it all. But all the cut backs and everything that is happening have to do with the banks and incompetent government and people and pursuit of a right wing economic ideology that most people in this country, when it comes right down to it do not actually agree with while getting involved in wars that no one really wants to be in where soldiers are getting killed because they don't have enough armoured vehicles. We can afford royal weddings, to bomb libya but we have to shut libraries, put up university fees and cut back on social services because we are skint. That's not what people voted for at the last election and summer is the traditional time for protests and riots. The next few months might be quite interesting.

Return to “United Kingdom”