Electoral Reform

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

Electoral Reform

Post by gmc »

The end of the lib dems?

Andrew Grice: David Cameron may oppose electoral reform, but his Coalition will struggle to survive a 'No' vote - Andrew Grice, Commentators - The Independent

I've always supported proportional representation and supported parties that were in favour of it. I'm getting to the point I'm considering not voting at all. It makes no difference we just end up with a government the majority of the peopole don't actually want and we're in the shits because of it. So I hope wwe get electoral reform. Made a huge difference in scotlans breaking the back of the labour mafia. We need a parliament that is frightened of the electorate.

YouTube - Barclays Bank Boss Drilled Over Corporate Tax and Tax Havens

We could do with a few more like this guy. Never heard of him before but it's nice to see a banker squirm.
Bryn Mawr

Electoral Reform

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1354194 wrote: The end of the lib dems?

Andrew Grice: David Cameron may oppose electoral reform, but his Coalition will struggle to survive a 'No' vote - Andrew Grice, Commentators - The Independent

I've always supported proportional representation and supported parties that were in favour of it. I'm getting to the point I'm considering not voting at all. It makes no difference we just end up with a government the majority of the peopole don't actually want and we're in the shits because of it. So I hope wwe get electoral reform. Made a huge difference in scotlans breaking the back of the labour mafia. We need a parliament that is frightened of the electorate.

YouTube - Barclays Bank Boss Drilled Over Corporate Tax and Tax Havens

We could do with a few more like this guy. Never heard of him before but it's nice to see a banker squirm.

There was a debate about it on the morning's Politics Show and the amount of misinformation was staggering - the government is certainly running scared.
gmc

Electoral Reform

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1354289 wrote: There was a debate about it on the morning's Politics Show and the amount of misinformation was staggering - the government is certainly running scared.

Not the lib dems as it should help them but it should worry the tories and labour. Imagine the last three decades with thatcher and blair not having overwhelming majorities in the house. A lot of the damage they managed to inflict might have been curtailed if the house had reflected how people actually voted and they had to worry about it. I find I despise both labour and tory and their attitude that they have a right to govern with a passion that makes me want to punch the canvassers. Only a complete idiot can think the present system satisfactory.
gmc

Electoral Reform

Post by gmc »

So how will you vote in the referendum?
spot

Electoral Reform

Post by spot »

gmc;1356691 wrote: So how will you vote in the referendum?

People would be far likelier to mark a ballot paper if they could list all the candidates in the order they most despise their policies. Which is, I think, what we're being offered. So long as no voter outside my consitituency can influence the election of my representative, and nobody can get into the Commons on a party list or using top-up votes from other areas, then I'll be pleased to experiment.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Electoral Reform

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1356691 wrote: So how will you vote in the referendum?

I'll be glad of the chance to vote against someone I absolutely cannot support without necessarily voting for someone I have no wish to support.
gmc

Electoral Reform

Post by gmc »

People don't bother voting because they know the same ones always get in. It made a huge difference in scotland - without it the scots parliament would be 100% labour despite the fact in most cinstituencies they don't have an overall majority of the votes. We'd be ruled by a kind of labour mafia. Effectively first past the post disenfranchises more than two thirds of the electorate. They need to do something about letting scots and welsh MP's vote on issues that affect england and not scotland or wales though.

The last thirty years thatcher and blair had overwhelming majorites despite half the electorate actively voting against them. Imagine the last thirty years if they hadn't had that, we might have had governments a bit more interested in listening to what people had to say rather than knowing they could just ignore them. Almost anything has got to be better than what we have. Mind you I think the liberal have commited suicide.

Return to “United Kingdom”