I still hate Thatcher

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

I still hate Thatcher

Post by gmc »

Thank you I feel better now for saying that out loud.
littleCJelkton

I still hate Thatcher

Post by littleCJelkton »

what about, potter, Smith, or Mason
Snowfire

I still hate Thatcher

Post by Snowfire »

littleCJelkton;1350380 wrote: what about, potter, Smith, or Mason

It is historical fact that you could ascertain from peoples names, the nature of their business

Coopers made barrels

Fletchers made arrows

Potters made pots

and Thatcher made people sick

Quoted by gmc

Thank you I feel better now for saying that out loud.

Yep it happens to me too. Blair and Brown took the feeling away for a bit but now I think the pain's coming back again
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
littleCJelkton

I still hate Thatcher

Post by littleCJelkton »

Snowfire;1350383 wrote: It is historical fact that you could ascertain from peoples names, the nature of their business

Coopers made barrels

Fletchers made arrows

Potters made pots

and Thatcher made people sick

You have pluar Potter(s), Fletcher(s),Cooper(s), and singular Thatcher. If Cooper(s) made barrels if you put cheddar cheese in a barrel with knives do you get Cooper sharp cheese out.
Snowfire

I still hate Thatcher

Post by Snowfire »

littleCJelkton;1350384 wrote: You have pluar Potter(s), Fletcher(s),Cooper(s), and singular Thatcher. If Cooper(s) made barrels if you put cheddar cheese in a barrel with knives do you get Cooper sharp cheese out.

Sure. Cooper Cutler's sharp cheese.

We have many Coopers, Fletchers, Cutlers and Wrights but only one Thatcher that can still make the hackles rise. We're still trying to decide whether Blair and Brown makes those hackles rise a little bit further
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
littleCJelkton

I still hate Thatcher

Post by littleCJelkton »

Snowfire;1350387 wrote: Sure. Cooper Cutler's sharp cheese.

We have many Coopers, Fletchers, Cutlers and Wrights but only one Thatcher that can still make the hackles rise. We're still trying to decide whether Blair and Brown makes those hackles rise a little bit further

there are people over there with the last name Hackle too? I dont think many of them kept the same last name when they migrated over to america they changed it too Mathews, O'rielly, Beck, ect..., Though I dont know if Hackler is a Heackler what is a Hackle's proffession?
gmc

I still hate Thatcher

Post by gmc »

littleCJelkton;1350422 wrote: there are people over there with the last name Hackle too? I dont think many of them kept the same last name when they migrated over to america they changed it too Mathews, O'rielly, Beck, ect..., Though I dont know if Hackler is a Heackler what is a Hackle's proffession?

They might have been soldiers. A hackle was and still is the plume decoration worn by some regiments in the british army - maybe their ancestors were soldiers that decided to stay after 1776 or something, there were Hanoverian and Hessian troops as well who were there so maybe that's the connection? a derogatory term for an ex soldier or something. Would be interesting to find out. The hackles are also the hairs on the neck of an animal or feather on a bird that rise when it is getting angry - hence people talk about feeling the hackles rise and it's use in war bonnets.

Hackle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of scottish and irish names couldn't be pronounced by an english speaker and were written down as they sounded phonetically to them and the new name was just kept for convenience. It's interesting sometimes with american TV programmes sometimes looking at the names to try and work out what they were originally.

posted for snowfire

Yep it happens to me too. Blair and Brown took the feeling away for a bit but now I think the pain's coming back again

Thatcher you could hate and in some ways respect, Blair and brown just arouse contempt. For all her faults I can't see her getting us involved in Iraq or Afghanistan

Thatcher reveals her doubts over basis for Iraq war - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

She added: "The fact was that there were no facts, there was no evidence, and there was no proof. As a politician the most serious decision you can take is to commit your armed services to war from which they may not return."

Return to “United Kingdom”