*^()kljghs

A forum to discuss local issues in the UK.
gmc

*^()kljghs

Post by gmc »

Bank charges ruling goes against consumers

Bank charges ruling goes against consumers | Money | guardian.co.uk

ooh I could spit.
Oscar Namechange

*^()kljghs

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1266149 wrote: Bank charges ruling goes against consumers | Money | guardian.co.uk

ooh I could spit.

I'd like to see that !!! :wah:

What did you expect from them?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Barman

*^()kljghs

Post by Barman »

Go overdrawn you pay, simple.
Bryn Mawr

*^()kljghs

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1266235 wrote: I'd like to see that !!! :wah:

What did you expect from them?

The new Supreme Court? That they apply the letter of the law - as they have done.

Of the Government? That they make laws that are fair and reasonable for all parties and are phrased in such a way as to be applicable in all circumstances.

In this particular case? If you have an agreed overdraft limit of £1,000 and you take your account £1,500 overdrawn, is it fair and reasonable for the bank who supplied the extra £500 to charge you for it? Would it be more reasonable for them to strictly prevent you from exceeding your overdraft limit in the first place?

I saw an interview with a complainant who had exceeded her overdraft limit and had been charged for it. The gist was that she'd had to work all hours to pay the charges off. Would it not have been better for her to work extra hours sooner to prevent the account going overdrawn in the first place or, if this was not possible, to have contacted her bank to arrange the additional credit before it was needed?
gmc

*^()kljghs

Post by gmc »

It takes five days for money to get in to your bank account yet money leaves it straight away. You can have a direct debit being paid that takes you overdrawn yet the money goes in later the same day but you still get a £38 overdraft charge, the next direct debit bounces because you are overdrawn so you get an unpaid direct debit charge and another £38 charge for the letter to tell you the dd hasn't been paid you can be £100 in bank charges and yet the money was there. On bank holidays money leaves your bank account but doesn't get paid in-funny that, why is it only the computers in charge of paying money in that get a holiday? If you're on a tight budget £100 in charges starts digging a hole surprisingly quickly. A lot of people have less than that left at he end of the month and the charges start piling up because you are now £100 down at the start of the month. This is not just people who can't control their finances complaining about this.

You are talking about organisations so badly run they have gone bankrupt and had to be bailed out by the taxpayer, it's a rip off.

If the OFT isn't allowed to look at this kind of thing why bother having it?
Bruv

*^()kljghs

Post by Bruv »

Two examples in The Mail today.

One guy was overdrawn for minutes, and got charged.

A student claimed nearly £1000 back.

Something is not reasonable.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

*^()kljghs

Post by gmc »

Guess which banks are in the crapper when Abu Dhabi goes down? I vote we don't bail them out again.

Return to “United Kingdom”