Any one with experience of elderly dogs here?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I am baffled despite having had dogs all my life, read numerous books on behaviour problems and had a various assortment of canine hooligans from rescue.

Agent Fox Mulder ( yes, we really did call him that ) Is a 14 year old Parson Russell Terrier.

His traits are typical of the breed. Aggressive, Territorial, Jealous and Possessive.

Over the years, we have learnt to live with his daily grumpiness which even Includes him taking himself off to his room to sulk when he doesn't get his own way.

Over the past few weeks, he has started growling a lot. This Is In fact normal as he growls at anything he can't hump, eat, or fight with.

I suppose It's fair to say that out of our 3 dogs, he Is more my husbands dog and they have a mutual understanding when it comes to Mulder's more unsociable habits.

Yet, he has suddenly taken to sitting at my feet growling whenever I plonk my rear on the sofa and growling even when there Is nothing to growl at.

Today I have him down the vets for an MOT and was told he Is actually In very good shape without any apparent signs of a pain problem although the vet did ask me to muzzle him.

It is very strange. The moment I sit down, he Is at my feet growling Into space despite there being nothing to growl at.

Is he going senile I wonder?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

Post by valerie »

It could be senility but the first thing I'd do, and I'm surprised the

vet didn't suggest it, is run a blood panel. Specifically, thyroid.

It can quite often go wonky and that might be the reason behind

his more-than-usual grumpiness.

If he has had a recent one done with nothing showing then at his

age, it could be brain tumor. There would be no way to tell at

this point, really, unless there are clear neurological signs.

Good on you for the ol' boy making it to 14, that's up there even

for a small dog!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Oscar Namechange

valerie;1365795 wrote: It could be senility but the first thing I'd do, and I'm surprised the

for a small dog!! Thank You very much Valerie.

He hasn't had blood tests or a scan yet for the problems you mention but I think I will ask the vet to do these to make sure. The vet did tell me today to keep a close eye on him and If he got any worse, to bring him back.

In all other aspects, he appears to be quite normal In his habits. He can still sniff out a Rabbit warren from a great distance, swim, and run after balls.

I have another Parson/Jack Russell cross who is 15 years old. Agent Dana Scully and she Is also In very good health but I put It down to the fact they are not fed tinned or processed food.

Thanks again.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1365790 wrote: I am baffled despite having had dogs all my life, read numerous books on behaviour problems and had a various assortment of canine hooligans from rescue.

Agent Fox Mulder ( yes, we really did call him that ) Is a 14 year old Parson Russell Terrier.

His traits are typical of the breed. Aggressive, Territorial, Jealous and Possessive.

Over the years, we have learnt to live with his daily grumpiness which even Includes him taking himself off to his room to sulk when he doesn't get his own way.

Over the past few weeks, he has started growling a lot. This Is In fact normal as he growls at anything he can't hump, eat, or fight with.

I suppose It's fair to say that out of our 3 dogs, he Is more my husbands dog and they have a mutual understanding when it comes to Mulder's more unsociable habits.

Yet, he has suddenly taken to sitting at my feet growling whenever I plonk my rear on the sofa and growling even when there Is nothing to growl at.

Today I have him down the vets for an MOT and was told he Is actually In very good shape without any apparent signs of a pain problem although the vet did ask me to muzzle him.

It is very strange. The moment I sit down, he Is at my feet growling Into space despite there being nothing to growl at.

Is he going senile I wonder?

As you know, I have cats, however I think why Mulder is now latching onto you is because he is now jealous of you, that is why he growls and stays by your feet so yo won't go near your husband.

To me, you should start taking him for short walks, playing with his favorite toy here and there and just paying more loving attention to him, that way he will learn that you truly love him and that you are no threat to your husband anyone, and he will learn in time to love you to.

Because Mulder is such an older dog now, it will take some time for him to learn he can trust you.....so try it every day for a least a month if you have time and let me know how he is then.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1365854 wrote: As you know, I have cats, however I think why Mulder is now latching onto you is because he is now jealous of you, that is why he growls and stays by your feet so yo won't go near your husband.

To me, you should start taking him for short walks, playing with his favorite toy here and there and just paying more loving attention to him, that way he will learn that you truly love him and that you are no threat to your husband anyone, and he will learn in time to love you to.

Because Mulder is such an older dog now, it will take some time for him to learn he can trust you.....so try it every day for a least a month if you have time and let me know how he is then.

Wrong on some may points.

For one, he has had 14 years to stop me going near my husband and never has because he enjoys us both.

For two, he Is a very aggressive dog and always has been but both my husband and I have been able to manage that over the years. If he really got that jealous and was growling at me to stop me going near my husband, It would be a different kind of growl which would be the warning growl and not the growl he Is making now.

Three.. If he was growling to stop me going near my husband, he would be facing me as he does when he squares up to visitors. I know the difference In my dogs various growls, what they mean, the one's to Ignore and the one's that I pay Immediate attention to.

You say " Because Mulder is such an older dog now, it will take some time for him to learn he can trust you".... what do really think he has been doing for the past 14 years.? That dog trusts me with his life !!! The reason I said he tends to be more of my husbands dog Is because he chooses more often to sit with Peter.

As for short walks and playing with toys, what do you think we do with him? Lock him up 24/7 ?

We have a field outside our front door. He Is taken In the field for 'Ball time' 3 or 4 times a day for approx 20 minutes because he Is an old dog and needs pacing. I take him In alone and play with him every day. When he's had enough, I take him Inside and take the other two out for ball time with them. I take him alone first because of his jealous nature. If he has one on one times with me throughout the day, he mood swings are easier to control.

Every two days, all three are put In the car and taken to the river bank or to an area a few miles very popular with walkers. Once a week, I take myself and Mulder off of a trek through our countryside. He knows he Is loved and because we have a rigid routine, he knows he will get his one on one time.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1365856 wrote: Wrong on some may points.

For one, he has had 14 years to stop me going near my husband and never has because he enjoys us both.

For two, he Is a very aggressive dog and always has been but both my husband and I have been able to manage that over the years. If he really got that jealous and was growling at me to stop me going near my husband, It would be a different kind of growl which would be the warning growl and not the growl he Is making now.

Three.. If he was growling to stop me going near my husband, he would be facing me as he does when he squares up to visitors. I know the difference In my dogs various growls, what they mean, the one's to Ignore and the one's that I pay Immediate attention to.

You say " Because Mulder is such an older dog now, it will take some time for him to learn he can trust you".... what do really think he has been doing for the past 14 years.? That dog trusts me with his life !!! The reason I said he tends to be more of my husbands dog Is because he chooses more often to sit with Peter.

As for short walks and playing with toys, what do you think we do with him? Lock him up 24/7 ?

We have a field outside our front door. He Is taken In the field for 'Ball time' 3 or 4 times a day for approx 20 minutes because he Is an old dog and needs pacing. I take him In alone and play with him every day. When he's had enough, I take him Inside and take the other two out for ball time with them. I take him alone first because of his jealous nature. If he has one on one times with me throughout the day, he mood swings are easier to control.

Every two days, all three are put In the car and taken to the river bank or to an area a few miles very popular with walkers. Once a week, I take myself and Mulder off of a trek through our countryside. He knows he Is loved and because we have a rigid routine, he knows he will get his one on one time.

what you needed to do was say exactly what you just said here in the beginning so myself and others would had a proper and full description of your entire lives with Mulder.

and also added the info you had plus any underlying problems he may have or not had in his lifetime.

I suggest to take him to a dog obedience training for older dog issues or write a letter to The Dog Whisperer who is renowned all over the world in correction of any issues with any dogs of all specific breeds he works with and cures and you can easily do this by googling The Dog Whisper and look for 'contact me.'
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1365858 wrote: what you needed to do was say exactly what you just said here in the beginning so myself and others would had a proper and full description of your entire lives with Mulder.

and also added the info you had plus any underlying problems he may have or not had in his lifetime.

I suggest to take him to a dog obedience training for older dog issues or write a letter to The Dog Whisperer who is renowned all over the world in correction of any issues with any dogs of all specific breeds he works with and cures and you can easily do this by googling The Dog Whisper and look for 'contact me.'

I don't believe he has any older dog Issue's. I believe their Is something wrong with him.

Obedience Is not the Issue here, He Is not being disobedient. He Is just acting strange.

He Is actually a very obedient dog as the other two are. It Is because he Is so obedient that we have managed his mood swings for the past 14 years.

Thank You for the suggestion. I assume you are referring to Cesar Milan ? If so, we already have his books and DVD's.

I agree with Valerie that there Is tests that need to be carried out If he gets any worse such as thyroid or a brain tumour.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1365862 wrote: I don't believe he has any older dog Issue's. I believe their Is something wrong with him.

Obedience Is not the Issue here, He Is not being disobedient. He Is just acting strange.

He Is actually a very obedient dog as the other two are. It Is because he Is so obedient that we have managed his mood swings for the past 14 years.

Thank You for the suggestion. I assume you are referring to Cesar Milan ? If so, we already have his books and DVD's.

I agree with Valerie that there Is tests that need to be carried out If he gets any worse such as thyroid or a brain tumour.

yes, Cesar Melan, reading books does not solver all issues, so again I suggest you contact him via his email address.

I must go, as its now after 11pm & and I have spent far to much time on this considering you know I cannot see with the caterat in my eye and its taken me over 3 hours to correct my mistakes.

END OF.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1365862 wrote: I don't believe he has any older dog Issue's. I believe their Is something wrong with him.

yes, Cesar Milan, reading books does not solver all issues, so again I suggest you contact him via his email address.

I must go, as its now after 11pm & and I have spent far to much time on this considering you know I cannot see with the caterat in my eye and its taken me over 3 hours to correct my mistakes.

END OF.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

valerie;1365795 wrote: It could be senility but the first thing I'd do, and I'm surprised the

for a small dog!!

Hi Val...Hope all is good with you and family :-4
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

older dogs can be like older people. just a little displeased tthe way things are. he could be a little off. did your vet do any blood work?? because our four legged pals. can't say. u know i don't feel right. if it doesn't change, try another vet.
Odie

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1365873 wrote: older dogs can be like older people. just a little displeased tthe way things are. he could be a little off. did your vet do any blood work?? because our four legged pals. can't say. u know i don't feel right. if it doesn't change, try another vet.

Hello Darlene!:-6

-that's just what I tried to say that older pets can be the same as older people.

see you back on facebook:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

southern yankee;1365873 wrote: older dogs can be like older people. just a little displeased tthe way things are. he could be a little off. did your vet do any blood work?? because our four legged pals. can't say. u know i don't feel right. if it doesn't change, try another vet. Yes, I did wonder about arthritis. I have changed vets many times over the years through not being happy with them. The one I use now Is a Romanian chappie and I have been very happy with him. I won't bore you with the long story but It was him who saved Scully's leg when all others were telling me to have It amputated.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Don't mind me, I was just making sure my wife wasn't posting in this thread.
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1365938 wrote: Don't mind me, I was just making sure my wife wasn't posting in this thread.
:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
southern yankee

well, if u feel , right with the vet. well poor dear is just getting older. good luck
Oscar Namechange

southern yankee;1365951 wrote: well, if u feel , right with the vet. well poor dear is just getting older. good luck Yes, he has always been a disagreeable little fella so maybe he Is just becoming a grumpy old man like my husband :wah:
southern yankee

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Pets Animals”