I want to share this with the Animal Lovers...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

All of here know of my Passion and strive to protect the most persecuted species this country has ever seen... The Fox.

There are many Fox rescue homes all over the country but I want to share an Insight from mine and the news that reached. us today.

Do you know what happens to a Fox taken into a Fox rescue Org? Do you think about them? After all, take away the prejudice and they have hearts the same as any species.

Let me show you what we strive to do and share this up-date with you:

What has happened since the last Up-date:

What 2 cubs were doing up a tree Is any-one's guess but we could not resist calling them 'The Lumberjacks'. Re-Trained and made to settle for a ground level life-style, they are now back In the wild.

Other cubs Included 'Greta' and 'Knot' both suffering with Injured rear legs. Greta's was saved but Knot, unfortunately lost his leg. Following amputation, one could see the relief In his face. The pain othe operation clearly therapeutic In comparison to the dull aching pain of the Injury. Knot has since been released and arrives daily for food left In our rehabber's garden.

'Robert', Roger, Rudolph, Randolph, Boxer, Jeeves, Elfie, Warick and Mr Green were successfully treated for Sarcoptic Mange.

Sadly, 'Isabel, Harvey, Ruth and Kimberley did not make It but Rod, recovered from concussion and Larry was lucky to be found after being trapped In an under-ground drain. Following a long over-due meal, Larry slept around the clock and was the better for It.

A big old fella named Turner came In with a swollen shoulder, which Initially thought was dislocated. In fact, this harmless, gentle Old Fox had shotgun pellets In both his neck and upper leg. It was touch and go as to weather the leg could be saved but Turner Insisted he was OK, ate well and responded to treatment. It was not possible to remove the pellets and he will always be lame but he accepted his pain and the decision was made to return him to his home. Since then 2 months ago, he has been seen around frequently and appears to be In good health.

Presently being cared for are Agatha, Alberta, Little Mo, and Roni all recovering from Mange.

There Is Ben, dumped In a sack out-side an animal sanctuary for no understandable reason.

Selbourne Is dis-orientated and we are waiting to see If he gets his thought process back.

Saskia was rescued with barely hours to spare. A wound on her abdomen had already attracted flies and was filling with maggots. Very soon, It would have been a desperate battle to save her.

Shirley, a four month Vixen from Croyden was admitted to the Fox Intensive care unit after a life threatening bite from a dog. She was thankfully lured In one of the humane traps and 3 weeks of treatment saw her released back into Mr and Mrs Longleys garden.

Many people like The Longleys are lucky enough to be re-united with the Foxes they love. The Fox Project always puts the welfare of each Individual patient first and no cost Is too great for the value of a second chance.

You can google the Fox Project but remember this post and the work that goes on behind the scenes to save one of the very few beautiful species of Great Britain.

The next time you see a stricken Fox... do not turn away or carry on driving.... Please call some-one... call the Fox Project.

Thank-you.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

My dear Clarkson... so badly missed.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That was very interesting, and heart warming, Oscar. They must keep up the good work. :):-6

Has Clarkson actually died, do you know?

At least you have a photograph of him - very difficult to get, as their hearing is so fantastic and the slightest unfamiliar noise and they're away !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1336969 wrote: That was very interesting, and heart warming, Oscar. They must keep up the good work. :):-6

Has Clarkson actually died, do you know?

At least you have a photograph of him - very difficult to get, as their hearing is so fantastic and the slightest unfamiliar noise and they're away ! Clarkson showed up a few months ago with a severly busted leg. It was the night I was In hospital FFS of all nights. If I had been there I would have been able to grab him I am sure because he ate at my feet and brushed against me. Peter fed the Foxes that night and they will never come as close to him as they do me. He was worried at making a grab for such a big Alpha Dog Fox. Then he dissapeared for a few nights and the care-taker of the school next door told us there was a large Fox dead In the grounds. Peter went and got him and It was definately him because of the leg. I think he died of shock, possibly Internal bleeding. WE have buried him In the garden.

I could kick myself for not being there that night as I am sure he would have let me help him after all I have fed him for 7 years. Foxes average life span Is a mere 2 years In the wild so I was honoured to have him come to me every night for 7 years.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

oscar;1336970 wrote: Clarkson showed up a few months ago with a severly busted leg. It was the night I was In hospital FFS of all nights. If I had been there I would have been able to grab him I am sure because he ate at my feet and brushed against me. Peter fed the Foxes that night and they will never come as close to him as they do me. He was worried at making a grab for such a big Alpha Dog Fox. Then he dissapeared for a few nights and the care-taker of the school next door told us there was a large Fox dead In the grounds. Peter went and got him and It was definately him because of the leg. I think he died of shock, possibly Internal bleeding. WE have buried him In the garden.

I could kick myself for not being there that night as I am sure he would have let me help him after all I have fed him for 7 years. Foxes average life span Is a mere 2 years In the wild so I was honoured to have him come to me every night for 7 years.

Oh that is so sad. Nature can be so harsh. But Oscar, hindsight is a wonderful thing. You cannot possibly feel guilty about not being there to help him, how would you know that that would happen that night ? You did him proud any way - he lived a lot longer and with good health, than he would have without you and Peter. Just keep a watch on his successors. I am sure that many of the younger male foxes could well be his sons ! How about calling one of them Hammond (or the Hamster !), I really don't think you could call a dog fox 'May' (after James May LOL). Take heart, you are doing a wonderful job with all those foxes ! :-6 :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1336980 wrote: Oh that is so sad. Nature can be so harsh. But Oscar, hindsight is a wonderful thing. You cannot possibly feel guilty about not being there to help him, how would you know that that would happen that night ? You did him proud any way - he lived a lot longer and with good health, than he would have without you and Peter. Just keep a watch on his successors. I am sure that many of the younger male foxes could well be his sons ! How about calling one of them Hammond (or the Hamster !), I really don't think you could call a dog fox 'May' (after James May LOL). Take heart, you are doing a wonderful job with all those foxes ! :-6 :)
I think Clarky's demise was a car rather than nature. It Is estimated that 100,000 Foxes are hit by cars every year. So many do not get rescued and die a slow painful death from their Injuries.

I have just been out to feed my brood. The older cubs have moved on to new territories now. One day they are there, the next they are gone and I never see them again but that's the way It Is. I am down to the core family again but heartened to see that one Peter named 'Runty' seems to have stayed on. I am very pleased about that because as his name suggests, he was very under-sized and so weak as a cub. When you feed them, one must observe pecking order the same as In canines but with Runty, he was the only one I broke protocol with. He would always be hanging back and the last to come In so I would throw him a chicken quarter first. He would snatch it up and run Into the school with his prize. Now the cubs have moved on, he Is getting a good share.

You are right about Clarky having sons. He had a distinctive white tip right on the end of the tail and some of the cubs are born with this. One I am missing, Is 'Stumpy' who was born with no tail or he lost It In an accident very young. I worried for him as a cub because they rely on the tail for balance.

Shortly after we lost Clarky, another big Alpha Dog Fox muscled In on the territory and we call him 'The Big Fella'. A new Vixen also appeared shortly after but she seems to co-habit with Clarky's alpha Vixen although there has been some hissing over the food order.

I have lots of very close shots of all my Foxes Gill but I am having trouble loading them here. When I get time I must make an effort to get that sorted. I have a particually good one of Clarky's Alpha Vixen with the stray cat.

I think that Is a brilliant Idea about the name and will call one of the cubs 'Hamster'.

Return to “Pets Animals”