Are you afraid to go into the water?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

We weren't allowed to go into the sea for a few days last week. There were 2 sharks swimming around about 60 ft. close to the shore. They didn't seem to be feeding and some thought they were sick as they hung out here for 2 weeks.....

Surfers here say that they see sharks all the time while surfing.

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Sharks at the Jersey Shore, Not this Season

When I was in Siesta Key, FL not too long ago a woman about 80 ft. from me, in waist high water, was bitten by a bull shark. The shark took a chunk of her thigh away with him. Thankfully, the woman is ok. I didn't go into the water after that:thinking::-6

Does it frighten you to swim in the sea knowing that there may be sharks about?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

No, I have never seen a shark in the water when swimming and surfing.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Growing up living at the beach basically you see sharks, stink rays, and jelly fish all the time you just stay away from them and they usually do the same to do. Anyone going to the beach here knows this time of year you do the "Stink Ray Shuffle" when you walk in the water to stir up the sand and the rays that way you won't get stung by one.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1323778 wrote: We weren't allowed to go into the sea for a few days last week. There were 2 sharks swimming around about 60 ft. close to the shore. They didn't seem to be feeding and some thought they were sick as they hung out here for 2 weeks.....

When I was in Siesta Key, FL not too long ago a woman about 80 ft. from me, in waist high water, was bitten by a bull shark. The shark took a chunk of her thigh away with him. Thankfully, the woman is ok. I didn't go into the water after that:thinking::-6

Woah, that woman was lucky!

sharks are killers and I have never been in waters where they are.
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

CARLA;1323805 wrote: Growing up living at the beach basically you see sharks, stink rays, and jelly fish all the time you just stay away from them and they usually do the same to do. Anyone going to the beach here knows this time of year you do the "Stink Ray Shuffle" when you walk in the water to stir up the sand and the rays that way you won't get stung by one.

We do that too Carla. We've only been seeing sting rays here for the last 3 years and do see sharks and have tons of jelly fish in August. We also have the whales and especially dolphins who come close to shore. I bring my binoculars to the beach.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1323812 wrote: Woah, that woman was lucky!

sharks are killers and I have never been in waters where they are.

Yes, she was very lucky. The problem is that you don't see the sharks or what's really in the ocean. When I was in Siesta Key, FL a manatee was feeding directly behind me and I never saw him:wah:

If you wear snorkel gear, you see schools of fish, sting rays, dolphins, whales and snails and puppy dog tails:wah:
Peg

Post by Peg »

If I saw a shark or even heard there was one, I wouldn't go in the water.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1323819 wrote: Yes, she was very lucky. The problem is that you don't see the sharks or what's really in the ocean. When I was in Siesta Key, FL a manatee was feeding directly behind me and I never saw him:wah:

If you wear snorkel gear, you see schools of fish, sting rays, dolphins, whales and snails and puppy dog tails:wah::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Manatee's are huge, that must have took you off guard and scared you half to death!:yh_rotfl

I hope I see a dolphin before I die.:-6
cars

Post by cars »

Kathy Ellen;1323778 wrote: We weren't allowed to go into the sea for a few days last week. There were 2 sharks swimming around about 60 ft. close to the shore. They didn't seem to be feeding and some thought they were sick as they hung out here for 2 weeks.....

Yes it worries me when going into the ocean, as I used to do a lot of "fishing" from my boat, "in NJ", when I was younger. I was going for blues, snapper, white fish, flounder, and it seemed I that caught more sharks, (only 4 feet or so long, but still could do nasty damage to a body) & numerous 3 to 4 foot dia sting rays then the fishI I went for. So I always remember that they are still living & waiting there in the ocean for their next meal!!!
Cars :)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

mmmmmmmmmmmm Snapper!!! YUM!!! Large Snapper with it's gut filled with capsicum, onion, Balsamic vinegar and tomatoe, wrapped up in tin foil and baked............To die for.

Sharks are always around here. We swim with them anyway. As long as they are not mako's I don't mind.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

cars;1323911 wrote: Yes it worries me when going into the ocean, as I used to do a lot of "fishing" from my boat, "in NJ", when I was younger. I was going for blues, snapper, white fish, flounder, and it seemed I that caught more sharks, (only 4 feet or so long, but still could do nasty damage to a body) & numerous 3 to 4 foot dia sting rays then the fishI I went for. So I always remember that they are still living & waiting there in the ocean for their next meal!!!

Did you live in Noo Joisey Cars???
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1323913 wrote: mmmmmmmmmmmm Snapper!!! YUM!!! Large Snapper with it's gut filled with capsicum, onion, Balsamic vinegar and tomatoe, wrapped up in tin foil and baked............To die for.

Sharks are always around here. We swim with them anyway. As long as they are not mako's I don't mind.

Snapper is a great fish to eat, yummy!

you can keep those sharkies.:sneaky::sneaky:
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Still Afraid To Go In The Water « Weekends in Paradelle

Since the release of the movie, Jaws, I am a little wary.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Post by Lon »

My wife and I Scuba and did a dive with about 12 other people that went down to 45 ft, formed a circle and watched as the boat above us lowered part of a pig carcass on a chain down into the middle of the circle. A Blue Tip Shark the size of a sofa went into the circle and started to devour the carcass. EXCITING!!! Blue Tips are not known to generally attack human beings. I have gone swimming and diving where Great Whites and other aggressive sharks are known to be and I have always had a somewhat uneasy feeling but figured that the odds were in my favor given the really small number of attacks each year. Sort of the same odds as dying in a plane crash.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, that was a brave thing to do, Lon.
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1323987 wrote: Still Afraid To Go In The Water « Weekends in Paradelle

Since the release of the movie, Jaws, I am a little wary.

That was a classic!:guitarist
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Lon;1324005 wrote: My wife and I Scuba and did a dive with about 12 other people that went down to 45 ft, formed a circle and watched as the boat above us lowered part of a pig carcass on a chain down into the middle of the circle. A Blue Tip Shark the size of a sofa went into the circle and started to devour the carcass. EXCITING!!! Blue Tips are not known to generally attack human beings. I have gone swimming and diving where Great Whites and other aggressive sharks are known to be and I have always had a somewhat uneasy feeling but figured that the odds were in my favor given the really small number of attacks each year. Sort of the same odds as dying in a plane crash.

Just dive if you're in trouble. . Sharks can't dive or they'll drown. That's why they circle.
cars

Post by cars »

Kathy Ellen;1323920 wrote: Did you live in Noo Joisey Cars???

Hi KE, yes my folks had a summer home in Tuckerton, that was right on a lagoon, that had a floating dock at the end of the property, with 21 foot Seacraft tied up at that dock. The logoon lead out to the ocean. It was great, my family & I & many of my realitives spent many long weekends there, it was always a blast! I spent many years driving from NE to NJ on Fiday nights, (ofcourse, since was still working at the time) and it was worth every minute of the drive!!! Anyone for a Khor's? :-6

(Not to mention, getting the Kohr's just before going into to Bally's! :wah: )
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

cars;1324138 wrote: Hi KE, yes my folks had a summer home in Tuckerton, that was right on a lagoon, that had a floating dock at the end of the property, with 21 foot Seacraft tied up at that dock. The logoon lead out to the ocean. It was great, my family & I & many of my realitives spent many long weekends there, it was always a blast! I spent many years driving from NE to NJ on Fiday nights, (ofcourse, since was still working at the time) and it was worth every minute of the drive!!! Anyone for a Khor's? :-6

(Not to mention, getting the Kohr's just before going into to Bally's! :wah: )

Geeze, that sounds lovely Cars...didn't know you had a summer home in Tuckerton...That's not too far south of me. No wonder you know khors on the boardwalk;)

That's a long ride from NE to NJ Cars. Why Tuckerton?
cars

Post by cars »

Kathy Ellen;1324162 wrote: Geeze, that sounds lovely Cars...didn't know you had a summer home in Tuckerton...That's not too far south of me. No wonder you know khors on the boardwalk;)

That's a long ride from NE to NJ Cars. Why Tuckerton?

My folks had several friends (that we all knew) that owned houses there, so they joined in, lucky for me & my family who also benifited from it!!!

Return to “Pets Animals”