Don't mess with whales !

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Kathy Ellen

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Whale breaches yacht....scary stuff!

Full story...

Whale breaches onto Cape Town yacht [PICS] | Life is Savage
Oscar Namechange

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I saw this on the news last night Kathy. Apparently they have notorious bad eyesight.

Perhaps the hump wanted to hump :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Don't mess with whales !

Post by CARLA »

Yikes..!! man overboard..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1323321 wrote: Whale breaches yacht....scary stuff!

Full story...

Whale breaches onto Cape Town yacht [PICS] | Life is Savage

eeek!
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Peg »

I saw that on the news. I just can't imagine what the people on board felt at that time. My guess would be total fear and disbelief.
YZGI

Don't mess with whales !

Post by YZGI »

I wonder if they will change the name of the boat from intrepid to scared sh*tless.
CARLA

Don't mess with whales !

Post by CARLA »

OK now that I have looked at it several time my first question is who took the picture??? They just happened to be there at the exact moment this happened.??
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

cars

Don't mess with whales !

Post by cars »

CARLA;1323422 wrote: OK now that I have looked at it several time my first question is who took the picture??? They just happened to be there at the exact moment this happened.??

Great minds think alike, that was exactally my first thought!!
Cars :)
flopstock

Don't mess with whales !

Post by flopstock »

More photos and story

Whale picture amazes local marine life experts | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects

apparently folks were out whale watching. I would think some would be taking pictures.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Don't mess with whales !

Post by spot »

Even so, and though there are photos from after that I'm sure are genuine, and I've no doubt the incident happened just as described, I find the pre-smash photo entirely unbelievable. Maybe someone skilled at diagnosing photoshop overlays will come out with an analysis, I'll keep an eye out, but nobody has yet that I've seen. The whale may well have been taken on the same camera within minutes of the event but I bet it wasn't on that same frame.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Don't mess with whales !

Post by G#Gill »

You are such a suspicious and cynical lot aren't you? If you read the further report, as indicated at the end of the initial report, you would have read that another boat, carrying some whale-watchers, about 300 metres (I think) away from that incident. One of them was taking pictures and was lucky enough to catch the whale in mid-leap. Perhaps from that distance they may not have realised at first, that the whale was going to land on the sailing boat.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
CARLA

Don't mess with whales !

Post by CARLA »

Humm...!! OK Gill that's a resonable explanation. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

cars

Don't mess with whales !

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1323460 wrote: You are such a suspicious and cynical lot aren't you? If you read the further report, as indicated at the end of the initial report, you would have read that another boat, carrying some whale-watchers, about 300 metres (I think) away from that incident. One of them was taking pictures and was lucky enough to catch the whale in mid-leap. Perhaps from that distance they may not have realised at first, that the whale was going to land on the sailing boat.

Well yes in today's world, with all the "photoshopping" that is being done over & over again on photos for shock effect, amazing photos such as that cause some to doubt it.

See example:

Attached files
spot

Don't mess with whales !

Post by spot »

There's all sorts of red flags about the picture. It wasn't taken by the person who took it into the Cape Argus newsdesk, to start with, it was taken by "James from Botswana" which has all the hallmarks of don't go looking for him. Maybe it's the same whale as crashed onto the boat, maybe it's taken on the same day, maybe all sorts. What I see when I look at that photo is a whale falling back into the water after jumping, not on its way up, the splashes are all oriented that way. I don't see any supporting high-resolution imagery anywhere on the web. The "supporting video" people discuss is actually video showing that picture and a few other stills, no video of the event at all. Photoshop-aware commenters are dubious about the pixel content too. I expect we'll find out one way or the other eventually.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Clodhopper »

Hmm. The BBC website has the same photo, but carefully says it "apparently" shows the moment before the whale landed. They do have a shot of the boat after it was hit. Link to article: BBC News - Whale of a tale for couple yachting off Cape Town
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
G#Gill

Don't mess with whales !

Post by G#Gill »

cars;1323477 wrote: Well yes in today's world, with all the "photoshopping" that is being done over & over again on photos for shock effect, amazing photos such as that cause some to doubt it.

See example:

I saw that photo a while ago, and I believe it was published in the National Geographic. Are you telling me that it was a con? How do you know?
G#Gill

Don't mess with whales !

Post by G#Gill »

Hey, Mr. Spot, who sent you the 'banhammer' ? :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Don't mess with whales !

Post by chonsigirl »

Maybe Thor left it for him-probably good for cracking walnuts.
Kathy Ellen

Don't mess with whales !

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I was just watching CBS news at 5:00PM tonight. They showed a video of the breeching whale hitting the boat.

CBS says it really happened.

Here's a link to CBS report...Look for the video 'whale vs boat' (to the right of page in 'top videos' if the below video doesn't play....

Video Library - wcbstv.com

South Africa Whale Encounter Stuns The World - wcbstv.com
cars

Don't mess with whales !

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1323572 wrote: I saw that photo a while ago, and I believe it was published in the National Geographic. Are you telling me that it was a con? How do you know?

To find out that hoax, along with many others, you will have to take the hoax test in the link below.

Hoax Quiz - Spot the Fakes!
chonsigirl

Don't mess with whales !

Post by chonsigirl »

Good grief, those giant housecats!
spot

Don't mess with whales !

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1323655 wrote: I was just watching CBS news at 5:00PM tonight. They showed a video of the breeching whale hitting the boat.

CBS says it really happened.

Here's a link to CBS report...Look for the video 'whale vs boat' (to the right of page in 'top videos' if the below video doesn't play....

Thank you Kathy Ellen, I found it and played it a few times. "CBS says it really happened", so do I, I don't think anyone's said it didn't happen. The photo that's been challenged doesn't mesh at all well with the video clip though. I'm even more of the opinion, having seen the video, that the still photo of the whale in flight by the boat is a composite of two originals.
chonsigirl

Don't mess with whales !

Post by chonsigirl »

It is still such an unusual event to have happened-you really think the photo is a composite, spot?
spot

Don't mess with whales !

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1323797 wrote: It is still such an unusual event to have happened-you really think the photo is a composite, spot?

Let me try to show you what I see, how's that.

The best copy of the video I've found it at BBC News - Whale's 'yacht landing' caught on film

The photo itself is in the OP here.

Firstly, the shape of the hills in the background is different, which suggests to me that the photo was taken at a different time (just minutes before, perhaps, but evidently not at the same moment as the whale jumping onto the boat).

Secondly, regardless of the place the video and the photo were taken from, the angle of the boat relative to the sun is diferent too. On the video, the direct sunlight on the sail only extends to the skyline. On the composite photo the boat's a few degrees further clockwise and the sun's shining far further up the sail than it is in the video. Again that indicates the boat part of the photo was taken at a different time to the video.

It may only be by a matter of minutes, the two halves of the composite may well have been taken from the same catamaran which took the video but the photo itself is two shots merged into a whole, one of the whale jumping earlier and one of the Intrepid sailing earlier. Someone's freeze-framed the video on a layer and zoomed it, put the two halves of two photos into the same locations, deleted the freeze frame and then melded the join. At the moment of impact on the video the direct sun and the shadows on the sail are visibly different to those in the video and since the smash only happened once it can't be a genuine photograph of the event, regardless of the angle it was taken from.

Is that adequately convincing?
ZAP

Don't mess with whales !

Post by ZAP »

cars;1323670 wrote: To find out that hoax, along with many others, you will have to take the hoax test in the link below.

Hoax Quiz - Spot the Fakes!

That's cool, Cars. I'm gonna forward that. Thanks.
cars

Don't mess with whales !

Post by cars »

ZAP;1323861 wrote: That's cool, Cars. I'm gonna forward that. Thanks.
You're welcome!!! Here's another one, fake or real?

Attached files

Return to “Pets Animals”