In memory...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I was thinking about what I could post as my first thread on my return here.

My friends here will know that I posted many threads on the Greatest Race-Horse this Country has ever seen many times but much has happened to him In my absence.

First of all... The Big Day that I waited a year for came on the 19th March at The Cheltenham Festival when my hero 'Kauto Star' was matched In the Gold Cup against his rival 'Denman'.

Kauto Star Is the only horse to ever regain The Gold Cup winning In 2008 and 2010. In 2009 his Crown was stolen from him by stable mate and rival 'Denman..

Both Kauto and Denman were In Prime condition and I just can not explain the excitement that day as they paraded ready to race.

Denman ran a typical Denman style race ( When he Is In the mood ) and led from the front. I was standing by the track and I could see Kauto was boxed In from the start. I started getting a horrible feeling due to the fact that It had rained so hard and the going was soft, not what kauto does well In.

As I had a sinking feeling, Kauto made a horrendous blunder at the 8th fence but recovered. For a while he was riding back In fourth place with Denman taking the lead. I knew It would be un-likely he could regain enough ground to take the lead but was just relieved that he had survived the bluder and was on his feet.

Then 4 from home, I swear my heart stopped. Tears sprang to my eyes and I just could not stop gasping and crying as Kauto fell on his neck and rolled 3 times. Where I was standing, many, many people were just shouting 'Kauto, get up, get up'. For a split second he lay on the ground while the crowd held their breath. His Jockey Ruby Walsh re-mounted and gently cantered him In but with tufts of grass sticking out of his head, he was down and dejected. Denman ran a fantastic race but could not hold off the new star 'Imperial Commander' and came 2nd.

YouTube - Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase 2010

The news came back that the fall was so horrendous, Kauto Star may have never run again and so much rested on his recovery.

That was a very sad day for me so I was delighted when It was announced that Kauto Star WILL run Boxing Day at Kempton Park In a bid to make history yet again by securing his 5th King George Stakes on the bounce.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

I felt a tinge of sadness at the Gold Cup for one of Britains greatest horses that never was was missing and the Parade ring had an empty feeling without him.

Racing greats are far and few between but we aways remember the one's who get Into the Racing Papers posing with their trophies and Jockeys. Once In a while there Is a horse that Is greater than most but does not get to win the trophies because they run In the shadow of the Champions. They rarely get a mention but we see them and note their presence. Only a few do the public take to their hearts and cheer for even knowing they will not win.

The racing world lost the greatest horse that never was on 2nd April last year at Aintree. On returning to his enclosure, he just laid down and died.

I still can not take In that he Is gone. Every year at Cheltenham and Aintree, It was like seeing your favourite auntie once again that you had so much love and affection for although you would never put your money on his nose. The racing world will certainly never forget him and this Is a wonderful tribute to him.

YouTube - Exotic Dancer

Goodbye Exotic Dancer
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

I was so afraid, reading that story that it was going to end with Kauto not being able to race again . . .or worse. Hooray for Kauto Star!!
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Zapata;1323264 wrote: I was so afraid, reading that story that it was going to end with Kauto not being able to race again . . .or worse. Hooray for Kauto Star!!
Did you watch the race from the link I put In the OP? Watch him go down on his neck and roll.... Absolutely Horrendous !!!! It Is truely amazing he survived that.
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

oscar;1323267 wrote: Did you watch the race from the link I put In the OP? Watch him go down on his neck and roll.... Absolutely Horrendous !!!! It Is truely amazing he survived that.

OMG!! Horrible! You must have died a thousand deaths before he appeared to be unhurt. I've never watched that type of race--don't know if I could, my heart's in my mouth with each hurdle. When they say Kauto made a "mistake", what does that mean? An error in judging the hurdle?
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Zapata;1323269 wrote: OMG!! Horrible! You must have died a thousand deaths before he appeared to be unhurt. I've never watched that type of race--don't know if I could, my heart's in my mouth with each hurdle. When they say Kauto made a "mistake", what does that mean? An error in judging the hurdle?

Made a mistake... Yes, mis-judged the fence. He actually has a notorious history for banking or paddling fences... racing terms for either landing on top of the fence or trying to run through It. Regs have changed much in England over recent years and especially at Aintree and Cheltenham, the 2 most gruelling of races, they have opted for Spruce as fences as these damage the horse less If they paddle or bank a fence. I blame the rain on the day. As soon as It rained over-night I knew he would not like the going and he was too boxed In for my liking.

Usually Kauto Star and stable mate and rival Denman only meet together In the same race for the Cheltenham Gold cup but Denman Is listed for this years king George on Boxing Day In the same race as Kauto.

My husband who does not share my passion Is equally excited about seeing Denman and Kauto in the same race and If well enough he will actually come with me this time.

Last year was amazing when Kauto won his 4 th consequetive King George. I left my house at 6am to get a good position on the track and for the first time In history the race-course was on the verge of putting 'Full' signs up after thousands turned out to see Kauto. People were wearing his Jockeys colours and waving placards 'I'm 4 Kauto'. Quite amazing fan base this horse has.
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

How exciting! Makes me think of Seabiscuit.
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Zapata;1323275 wrote: How exciting! Makes me think of Seabiscuit. Seabiscuit was before my time but I am very excited about seeing Kauto and Denman again.

Did you notice In the commentary of the race that just before Kauto fell, the commentator said 'Ruby Walsh ( The Jockey) gives Kauto the signal of a slap on the shoulder' to get him going faster? Proof that our Jockeys do not thrash the horses with the whip.
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

oscar;1323280 wrote: Seabiscuit was before my time but I am very excited about seeing Kauto and Denman again.

Did you notice In the commentary of the race that just before Kauto fell, the commentator said 'Ruby Walsh ( The Jockey) gives Kauto the signal of a slap on the shoulder' to get him going faster? Proof that our Jockeys do not thrash the horses with the whip.

Yes, I heard the "slap on the shoulder" commentl. You may or may not know that my brother works at Calumet Farms in Lexington, home of many famous past racehorses. I've got videos of how well the horses are treated and cared for there. Some of the scenes from the movie Seabiscuit were filmed there, although most of it was done elsewhere. That's what I was referring to with my "Seabiscuit" comment, and the book, which has some of the most descriptive and exciting pages on horseracing that I can imagine.
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Zapata;1323285 wrote: Yes, I heard the "slap on the shoulder" commentl. You may or may not know that my brother works at Calumet Farms in Lexington, home of many famous past racehorses. I've got videos of how well the horses are treated and cared for there. Some of the scenes from the movie Seabiscuit were filmed there, although most of it was done elsewhere. That's what I was referring to with my "Seabiscuit" comment, and the book, which has some of the most descriptive and exciting pages on horseracing that I can imagine.
Yes, I remember a thread where I learnt about your brother In Lexington. Seabiscuit was one of those 'Once In a Life-time' horses but I must confess that I never saw the film or read the book. I reallly must do that.

After Kauto's fall, what touched me was when asked If he would race again, his trainer, Paul Nichols, said 'Only If Kauto Star wants to'.

Some folk think wrongly that race-horses are treated as nothing more than sporting cattle but the love and care they show them Is second to none.
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

oscar;1323296 wrote: Yes, I remember a thread where I learnt about your brother In Lexington. Seabiscuit was one of those 'Once In a Life-time' horses but I must confess that I never saw the film or read the book. I reallly must do that.

After Kauto's fall, what touched me was when asked If he would race again, his trainer, Paul Nichols, said 'Only If Kauto Star wants to'.

Some folk think wrongly that race-horses are treated as nothing more than sporting cattle but the love and care they show them Is second to none.

That is a true statement. I was fortunate to be able to go into the barn with the mares and foals, some of them only 1 or 2 weeks old and already worth half a million because of their breeding. Gorgeous little babies! And their mothers, so trusting of my brother, would come up to him and nuzzle him as he spoke to them and petted them.
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

ZAP;1323354 wrote:

That is a true statement. I was fortunate to be able to go into the barn with the mares and foals, some of them only 1 or 2 weeks old and already worth half a million because of their breeding. Gorgeous little babies! And their mothers, so trusting of my brother, would come up to him and nuzzle him as he spoke to them and petted them. You are very lucky... I would so love to see them as they start life.

Many race-horses are born worth half a million but who knows If they will be worth that by the time they retire?

There Is a lovely story to Kauto Star... he was not actually the horse that his owner was after. Having failed on the bid for the one he wanted, he was offered Kauto as a second best, yet Kauto's winnings to date are ₤2,012,654.... ! But he cost his owner Clive Smith a mere 400,000 Euro's !!!

He did not start life as Kauto Star but he was known as 'L'Extraterrestre' which translates to 'The Extraterrestrial' meaning 'out of this world' or 'not of this world' . A more fitting title I feel.

YouTube - Kauto Star - Before he was famous

This link Is how he started.
ZAP

In memory...

Post by ZAP »

Brilliant! That's interesting about the name. Last year I asked my brother (who is a walking encyclopedia on horse information) if he'd heard of Kauto Star and he replied, "Oh yes, The Extraterrestrial!"
Oscar Namechange

In memory...

Testing

Attached files

Return to “Pets Animals”