Fisher

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Jazzy

Fisher

Post by Jazzy »

I kept seeing this strange animal in my yard and found out it's a Fisher. It's the strangest looking little animal and at first I thought it was a stray cat. Do you have these where you live?

Fisher link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
LarsMac

Fisher

Post by LarsMac »

I saw one once when I was in Washington State, but they don't venture very far south.

The look to be related to critters like ferrets, martins, wolverines and weasels.

Probably help keep the vermin in check, so as long as you don't have a cat or dog that runs about your yard, that you'd like to keep, you can let it hang about.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1299712 wrote: I kept seeing this strange animal in my yard and found out it's a Fisher. It's the strangest looking little animal and at first I thought it was a stray cat. Do you have these where you live?

We don't see those here at all Jazzy, watch those teeth!:yh_rotfl

here he is, he looks like a weasel, how cute!:-6

click for a better view of him!

Life is just to short for drama.
Jazzy

Fisher

Post by Jazzy »

He or she is cute but I wouldn't want to get to close to it :wah: It darts out of the woods and drinks water out of my pond and then darts back into the woods. I used to see a rabbit every morning and a few squirrels but I don't see them anymore. I hope this Fisher didn't get them but then again such is nature. My dogs are the size of cats so I'm very careful when I take them out for their walks now. The nearest neighbor is two miles away from me and I ran into him at the store the other day. He told me something was killing his chickens (which he lets run loose) and I told him that I saw a Fisher in my yard. He's got his gun ready to kill one if he sees it :(
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1299776 wrote: He or she is cute but I wouldn't want to get to close to it :wah: It darts out of the woods and drinks water out of my pond and then darts back into the woods. I used to see a rabbit every morning and a few squirrels but I don't see them anymore. I hope this Fisher didn't get them but then again such is nature. My dogs are the size of cats so I'm very careful when I take them out for their walks now. The nearest neighbor is two miles away from me and I ran into him at the store the other day. He told me something was killing his chickens (which he lets run loose) and I told him that I saw a Fisher in my yard. He's got his gun ready to kill one if he sees it :(

Oh do be very careful with your dogs as they will eat domestic animals.

and it sounds like he is eating your neighbors chickens and your squirrels & rabbits.:(

Fishers eat hares, rabbits, squirrels, mice, shrews, porcupines and sometimes other domestic animals. If food supply is low, they may eat berries and nuts. Fishers are known to eat young grouse or turkey as well.
Mustang

Fisher

Post by Mustang »

Jazzy;1299712 wrote: I kept seeing this strange animal in my yard and found out it's a Fisher. It's the strangest looking little animal and at first I thought it was a stray cat. Do you have these where you live?

Yes we have them where we live. They are a member of the weasel family. Excellent tree climbers and will den in abandoned owl and hawk nests or high tree cavities. They are dependent on forested areas for their survival. They'll forage on the forest floor and select their prey based on abundance and catchability. They breed in the spring and usually have a litter of 2 or 3 cubs once a year.

Really cool animal to observe! Keep looking up in the tree tops Jazzy, you just might see another one. :D
Amythest

Fisher

Post by Amythest »

Yes we have Fishers here although i haven't seen one. I see more coyote and fox.

Since i value my Garden; bulbs and veggies, i prefer having the predators about. There's a nesting pair of Horned Owls and a Red Tailed hawk Family in the back.

Too many voles, mice, squirrels and rabbits.

If you don't want him , trap 'im and send it up here. There's lots to hunt and plenty of woods to dart about in. :yh_rotfl
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Amythest;1299829 wrote: Yes we have Fishers here although i haven't seen one. I see more coyote and fox.

Since i value my Garden; bulbs and veggies, i prefer having the predators about. There's a nesting pair of Horned Owls and a Red Tailed hawk Family in the back.

Too many voles, mice, squirrels and rabbits.

If you don't want him , trap 'im and send it up here. There's lots to hunt and plenty of woods to dart about in. :yh_rotfl

she may if he keeps eating the neighours chickens!:yh_rotfl

If you can take a pic of the Horned Owls and Hawks, that would be awesome.:guitarist
Amythest

Fisher

Post by Amythest »

Odie;1299841 wrote: she may if he keeps eating the neighours chickens!:yh_rotfl

If you can take a pic of the Horned Owls and Hawks, that would be awesome.:guitarist

Oh cripes. U know how hard it is to get a pic of the owls? We hear them regularly in the twilight hours during spring. They should strat up soon. Gawd it sounds so beautiful. We know it's a mating pair cause they have 2 distinctive tones. Took a year before we saw one. We saw one twice in a month span this winter, roosting in the Hemlock. They fly off if you get too close. Very elusive quiet creatures.

My neighbours grandkid found some capsules ( they regurgitate what they don't digest in neat hairy bundles) If i knew where he found them I'ld have a chance at some pics.

I'll get on that right away!:-3
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Amythest;1299860 wrote: Oh cripes. U know how hard it is to get a pic of the owls? We hear them regularly in the twilight hours during spring. They should strat up soon. Gawd it sounds so beautiful. We know it's a mating pair cause they have 2 distinctive tones. Took a year before we saw one. We saw one twice in a month span this winter, roosting in the Hemlock. They fly off if you get too close. Very elusive quiet creatures.

My neighbours grandkid found some capsules ( they regurgitate what they don't digest in neat hairy bundles) If i knew where he found them I'ld have a chance at some pics.

I'll get on that right away!:-3

True as their nests are so high up.

One can only imagine their sounds and how they look.
Amythest

Fisher

Post by Amythest »

Odie;1299886 wrote: True as their nests are so high up.

One can only imagine their sounds and how they look.

I haven't found the nest yet.

They ( Owls) nest inside hollow trees. Gotta find that pile of "nuggets".:-3
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

I may be strange looking but I was no where near your yard.:p:p
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

fisher;1300006 wrote: I may be strange looking but I was no where near your yard.:p:p

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

welcome back, nice to see you posting again!
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Odie;1300057 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

welcome back, nice to see you posting again!

Thank you Odie... I do drop in from time to time.
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

fisher;1300073 wrote: Thank you Odie... I do drop in from time to time.

fishing season.

when does it start again?
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Odie;1300107 wrote: fishing season.

when does it start again?

I am in the middle of the season now it ends the last day in May..
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

fisher;1300142 wrote: I am in the middle of the season now it ends the last day in May..

has it been good his year?
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Odie;1300144 wrote: has it been good his year?

No it has not. We are getting a very low price again this year for our lobsters.This time last year we were getting $8.00 per pound, this year $4.50. I hope it gets better soon.
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

fisher;1300186 wrote: No it has not. We are getting a very low price again this year for our lobsters.This time last year we were getting $8.00 per pound, this year $4.50. I hope it gets better soon.

that's scary!:(
Mustang

Fisher

Post by Mustang »

fisher;1300186 wrote: No it has not. We are getting a very low price again this year for our lobsters.This time last year we were getting $8.00 per pound, this year $4.50. I hope it gets better soon.

Unbelievable what you're getting paid to harvest lobster when we're paying $23.99 a pound in the stores for them here.
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Mustang;1303066 wrote: Unbelievable what you're getting paid to harvest lobster when we're paying $23.99 a pound in the stores for them here.

What! no way..What part of the US are you from?
Mustang

Fisher

Post by Mustang »

fisher;1303307 wrote: What! no way..What part of the US are you from?

Yes...way! :wah:

Lobster is expensive to buy here and hard to find because of the price. Most lobster in our stores are coming from Brazil right now.

Northeast region of the US. (red zone)
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1303066 wrote: Unbelievable what you're getting paid to harvest lobster when we're paying $23.99 a pound in the stores for them here.

Canada also Mustang, few can afford lobster.
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Mustang;1303312 wrote: Yes...way! :wah:

Lobster is expensive to buy here and hard to find because of the price. Most lobster in our stores are coming from Brazil right now.

Northeast region of the US. (red zone)

I don't understand what's going on. Our buyer is telling us that the demand is down because of the economy and they can't get rid of the lobster and that's why we are getting such a low price. They ship the most of our lobsters to the us. Somebody is making loads of money and it sure is not us.:mad::mad:
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Odie;1303324 wrote: Canada also Mustang, few can afford lobster.

What is the price of lobsters there where you live Odie?
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

fisher;1303361 wrote: What is the price of lobsters there where you live Odie?

I will check it out this week, as I haven`t bothered now in years as its just to costly.

Arctic char is a fish, that sells at 16.00 a lb. alone.
fisher

Fisher

Post by fisher »

Odie;1303364 wrote: I will check it out this week, as I haven`t bothered now in years as its just to costly.

Arctic char is a fish, that sells at 16.00 a lb. alone.

Ok great:)
Odie

Fisher

Post by Odie »

Hey Fisher!

It was 9.99 a lb today for fresh lobster in the tank.

Return to “Pets Animals”