Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Murder most fowl as fox comes a cropper Video - Yahoo! News UK

Oh yeah, for sure... that naff piece of fencing Is going to keep foxes out. Haven't these people got any clue???
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, technically, being knocked out is what killed the fox.
southern yankee

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by southern yankee »

the fox wasn't sooo foxy, was he??;)
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

K.Snyder;1298270 wrote: Well, technically, being knocked out is what killed the fox.
Technically yes.

I was just appalled at the naff fencing. We have a big Issue In this country with some folk who view Foxes as vermin. They whinge and cry when a fox gets their dear little chicky wickys but erect fencing that wouldn't stop a slug on tranquillsers.

How about stopping the Fox getting In, In the First Place??

If I kept Chickens, I would have an 8 foot high fortress around them, electric fencing and I'd lock the bloody chickens up at night In a secure Coop.

Some People !!!!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

oscar;1298282 wrote: Technically yes.

I was just appalled at the naff fencing. We have a big Issue In this country with some folk who view Foxes as vermin. They whinge and cry when a fox gets their dear little chicky wickys but erect fencing that wouldn't stop a slug on tranquillsers.

How about stopping the Fox getting In, In the First Place??

If I kept Chickens, I would have an 8 foot high fortress around them, electric fencing and I'd lock the bloody chickens up at night In a secure Coop.

Some People !!!!!!

chicky wickys? naff fencing? funny, I feel for those chicky wickeys, ducks, and whatever else they kill, some even even have them as pets.

- not everyone can afford 8 foot fencing.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Odie;1298313 wrote: chicky wickys? naff fencing? funny, I feel for those chicky wickeys, ducks, and whatever else they kill, some even even have them as pets.

- not everyone can afford 8 foot fencing. Your missing my point.

Yes, people do indeed love their chickens as pets but that's the whole point. If they love them as pets, then make them secure so they are not at risk.

Simples.

I don't like seeing chickens meet their death any more than anyone else but If I kept them, I'd only keep them If i could afford the appropriate fencing to protect them.

Did you have chicken for dinner today? :sneaky:
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

It wouldn't matter what I said, its all got to do with fox's because you feed tons of them every night.

I pray that one day they won't attack humans/animals when you move and the food is no longer there.
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Odie;1298439 wrote: It wouldn't matter what I said, its all got to do with fox's because you feed tons of them every night.

I pray that one day they won't attack humans/animals when you move and the food is no longer there.
Oh Dear.... here we go again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;1298280 wrote: the fox wasn't sooo foxy, was he??;)

hey sis, you have to really watch out for those killer chickens!:yh_rotfl

K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Odie;1298495 wrote: hey sis, you have to really watch out for those killer chickens!:yh_rotfl

You find a fox being killed amusing but you were spitting fury at seals being killed two days ago?

What EXACTLY Is your policy on animal welfare?
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1298313 wrote: not everyone can afford 8 foot fencing.

12 bore/.22, trap, snare. The first is, unfortunately, time-consuming. Traps and snares must be inspected at least daily (twice a day is far better). It's equally important to ensure there're no "free meals".
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Bill Sikes;1298540 wrote: 12 bore/.22, trap, snare. The first is, unfortunately, time-consuming. Traps and snares must be inspected at least daily (twice a day is far better). It's equally important to ensure there're no "free meals". In the US maybe. Here, even farmers do not always have a shotgun license or can get one.

I actually have no problem with a farmer shooting a fox humanly should he be a threat during lambing however, more and more people are keeping chickens these days. There Is a garden full of them close to me on a Council housing Estate. As you know, they would never get a shotgun license.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1298540 wrote: 12 bore/.22, trap, snare. The first is, unfortunately, time-consuming. Traps and snares must be inspected at least daily (twice a day is far better). It's equally important to ensure there're no "free meals".

Traps here must be humane so the animals can be re-located.

snares are against the law here in the city.
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1298557 wrote: Traps here must be humane so the animals can be re-located.

snares are against the law here in the city.

Here, traps must be humane, but it is likely to be illegal to release the captured animal (most are somewhat more permenantly removed from the environment). Snares I dislike quite a lot (but have their uses), but are legal, but must be regularly examined. When you say "the city", do you mean a built-up area?
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1298594 wrote: Here, traps must be humane, but it is likely to be illegal to release the captured animal (most are somewhat more permenantly removed from the environment). Snares I dislike quite a lot (but have their uses), but are legal, but must be regularly examined. When you say "the city", do you mean a built-up area?

I mean where I live, in Toronto. -5.5 million population.

I have only known of one trap used and that was my X neighbour, he caught squirrels and killed them.:sneaky::lips:

They hated anything that had to do with any animals.:rolleyes:

They had a humongous electric bug zapper on 24/7-----sitting in our backyard was just hideous listening to all the bugs being zapped....bugs are good for the gardens and so many other things.

some do trap raccoons and I still have no idea why, if your chimney has a cap, there is no way they can get into attics.

We all have garbage containers that are secured with bungee cords and the new garbage containers are built high and nothing can get in them.
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Bill Sikes;1298540 wrote: 12 bore/.22, trap, snare. The first is, unfortunately, time-consuming. Traps and snares must be inspected at least daily (twice a day is far better). It's equally important to ensure there're no "free meals". The only legal traps In this country are these or similar makes.

Fox trap, The Trap Man live capture fox trap, catches foxes alive and unharmed. catches the fox humanely,Available now for quick UK delivery

Odie.... Re your previous post that foxes will attack Humans or cats. This section is taken from the link I have posted.

Foxes are rather nervous animals and generally fearful of people. They take every opportunity to avoid humans. It is inconceivable that a healthy fox would attack an adult or child unless cornered and an attempt was made to grab it. Foxes eat a variety of food including fruit, earth worms, insects, small mammals, such as mice, birds, rabbits, and scavenged food. Although there are cases of attacking cats this is extremely rare indeed. One problem that is prevalent in the months of June and July are young cubs that dig up areas of the lawn. Most are looking for leather jackets, grubs or lava. Alternatively, if you have placed a fish, blood or bone meal based fertilizer on your lawn the foxes will be attracted to this since its smells like buried food and thus encourages them to dig. Both foxes and cats are active at night and meetings between the two are probably a nightly occurrence. Observations of such meetings show that for the most part they either ignore each other or else the foxes are nervous of the cats. Foxes will attack pets such as rabbits or guinea pigs and also poultry. The best way of preventing this is to ensure that the livestock is housed in secure hutches and coops.

Do you get It now?

By the way Odie.... When it says the foxes are digging for Leather jackets, they do not mean some outfit a passing biker has discarded. A leather jacket is the grub of a British Crane fly.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

your missing my point again.

as said, you feed tons of fox every night, they are wild animals and should not be fed by humans.

my question: what happens to those fox when you move out?

You keep changing the subject, you refuse to answer.......yes, everyone knows what they eat........that wasn't my question was it?

not wasting anymore of my time here.:rolleyes:
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1298602 wrote: I mean where I live, in Toronto. -5.5 million population.

OK, I didn't know whether "city" meant urban area or UA + outlying areas.

Odie;1298602 wrote: I have only known of one trap used and that was my X neighbour, he caught squirrels and killed them.sneakylips:

Don't get me started on poxy squirrels. I had one in the attic, it did considerable damage until it was interrupted by a Mk IV Fenn Trap. The next-door-neighbour also suffered, he caught one in a cage trap, he said it was if a football team was playing in his attic. He dropped the lot into a water butt. Exterminate greys, bring back reds, nicer and not pesky!

Odie;1298602 wrote: We all have garbage containers that are secured with bungee cords and the new garbage containers are built high and nothing can get in them.

... and we have plastic "bin bags" to put out waste in. Hodgehegs get into them quite ofthen, prickly little blighters, but that's the only damage they seem to do. I get 'em out and put them in the hedge.
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Odie;1298612 wrote: your missing my point again.

as said, you feed tons of fox every night, they are wild animals and should not be fed by humans.

my question: what happens to those fox when you move out?

You keep changing the subject, you refuse to answer.......yes, everyone knows what they eat........that wasn't my question was it?

not wasting anymore of my time here.:rolleyes:

Your a hypocrite. do you really want me to pull up the previous threads on foxes where you have commended my feeding them saving them from getting killed on the roads or raiding gardens?

The moment you fall out with any-one on this forum, you change tact. Do you think the members here have forgotton your previous posts on feeding foxes?

Do people have to keep writing duplicates of previous posts on previous threads for you?

Then I will spell It out again.

For One... These are Red Foxes not Urbane that have been driven Into the grounds of the school next door due to mass building on their countryside. 12,000 new builds In the last 12 years Infact with more going up as I speak.

The average life span of a Red Fox (Fron the National Fox association) Is just 2 years. My oldest visitor has been coming to me for 7 years. Most foxes In my Village are killed on the main road after they try to get to the land-fill site.

If they do not have a regular meal, they will first of all, dig up gardens for their staple diet which Is earthworms. If the ground Is frozen or too hard to dig, they will then go for the trash bins.

Due to the Increase of Pesticides on local crops, the population of their other staple diet, small rodents Is diminishing.

If desperate, they will then raid chicken houses or take pet rabbit from gardens.

In the 14 years I have fed them from this house, we have never had bins raided In the Immediate neighbourhood nor any pets or chickens taken from gardens.

Feeding foxes does not Increase their numbers. You have some strange vision of them multiplying like Rabbits. Approx one year after being born, cubs move on and take over a new territory leaving the core pack and parents behind.

If the pack leader dies or becomes Infirm, another male from another territory will move In.

All food Is put on the ground. They are never touched especially new cubs who will approach you blindly.

Besides my own pack, our village Is teeming with foxes. We see them on the roads every night. Most residents feed them.

Should anything happen to me, my neighbour would continue to feed them and If anything happened to him, another neighbour would feed them.

Most foxes around here are fed regually by other residents. The fact that my pack regually dig my garden up, shows that they still have the Instincts to dig for their staple diet of worms.

I suggest you do some research with the British National Fox Association.

There has been a very recent Government Directive to elected Councillors to Dis-courage people from paving their gardens. This Is because they want to attract wildlife which Includes foxes. The National Fox association encourages residents to feed foxes as It does save bins being torn apart and pets being taken.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1298614 wrote: OK, I didn't know whether "city" meant urban area or UA + outlying areas.

Don't get me started on poxy squirrels. I had one in the attic, it did considerable damage until it was interrupted by a Mk IV Fenn Trap. The next-door-neighbour also suffered, he caught one in a cage trap, he said it was if a football team was playing in his attic. He dropped the lot into a water butt. Exterminate greys, bring back reds, nicer and not pesky!

... and we have plastic "bin bags" to put out waste in. Hodgehegs get into them quite ofthen, prickly little blighters, but that's the only damage they seem to do. I get 'em out and put them in the hedge.

You can buy caps for your chimney, allowing no animals to get in.

Squirrels can be down-right nasty indeed and cause a lot of damage inside and out! Here they tear gardens apart, uprooting plants, digging everywhere!

Hedgehogs, I have never seen them here.

We have greys and brown squirrels, never seen reds.
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1298621 wrote: We have greys and brown squirrels, never seen reds.

There are none in most areas of the UK. However, they do exist, and in some areas they are being extensively culled. This allows the reds to be re-introduced, and seems to be working.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1298674 wrote: There are none in most areas of the UK. However, they do exist, and in some areas they are being extensively culled. This allows the reds to be re-introduced, and seems to be working.

did the reds become extinct at one time?
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1298727 wrote: did the reds become extinct at one time?

There are none whatsoever in most of the UK. A few small areas still have them, so the "line" still exists. Stirling efforts to eradicate the grey in some areas allows the re-introduction (or where possible, spread/infill) of red ones. The RSST is one organisation doing fine work.
southern yankee

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Odie;1298495 wrote: hey sis, you have to really watch out for those killer chickens!:yh_rotfl

ATTACK OF THE KILLER CHICKENS!!!!!!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1298736 wrote: There are none whatsoever in most of the UK. A few small areas still have them, so the "line" still exists. Stirling efforts to eradicate the grey in some areas allows the re-introduction (or where possible, spread/infill) of red ones. The RSST is one organisation doing fine work.

glad they are coming in slowly.
southern yankee

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Bill Sikes;1298736 wrote: There are none whatsoever in most of the UK. A few small areas still have them, so the "line" still exists. Stirling efforts to eradicate the grey in some areas allows the re-introduction (or where possible, spread/infill) of red ones. The RSST is one organisation doing fine work. weren't they hunted to death there??:(
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

southern yankee;1298800 wrote: weren't they hunted to death there??:(

As far as I know, red squirrels have not been hunted. They have been displaced by greys (which also carry a disease fatal to reds). Grey squirrels are controlled because of the damage they do (they're unpleasant little brutes for several reasons), and in the areas where they're being exterminated (few, unfortunately) reds seem to be making a comeback! I don't think greys are hunted "for the pot" for all but curiosity value - there's little meat on them, and they're hell to skin. I've tried them, they're OK, but not really worth the effort of preparation.
G#Gill

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by G#Gill »

There are red squirrels in some parts of Scotland, I believe. I'm not sure if there is a protection order on them, but I do hope so.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

G#Gill;1298862 wrote: There are red squirrels in some parts of Scotland, I believe. I'm not sure if there is a protection order on them, but I do hope so.

In a (readable) nutshell....

It is an offence to:

Intentionally kill, injure or take any red squirrel

Have possession or control of any red squirrel, or any part of, or anything derived

from a red squirrel unless it can be proven that it was obtained lawfully

Damage, destroy, or obstruct access to any structure or place used by a red squirrel

for shelter or protection

Disturb a red squirrel while it is occupying a structure or place used for shelter or

protection

Sell, offer or expose for sale, or have for the purpose of sale any red squirrel

Publish or cause to be published any advertisement likely to infer that squirrels can,

or are intended to be bought or sold.

Use certain indiscriminate methods of taking red squirrels, such as snaring or poisoning
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1298862 wrote: There are red squirrels in some parts of Scotland, I believe. I'm not sure if there is a protection order on them, but I do hope so.

Have you ever seen one Gill, we don't have them here.
K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

The red squirrel or Eurasian red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) is a species of tree squirrel (genus Sciurus). A tree-dwelling omnivorous rodent, the red squirrel is common throughout Eurasia.

Red Squirrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

K.Snyder;1299400 wrote: Red Squirrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We are getting a new strain of squirrel here now Kev... The Black Squirrel. Not sure what effect they will have on the Grays.
K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1299409 wrote: We are getting a new strain of squirrel here now Kev... The Black Squirrel. Not sure what effect they will have on the Grays.

Is squirrel consumed regularly for food in the UK?

I know it's probably considered apart of Kentucky's livestock but seeing as how those people don't use paper it's not technically defined!!!!

:yh_rotfl :yh_wink :yh_kiss
Oscar Namechange

Killer Chickens kill Fox

K.Snyder;1299411 wrote: Is squirrel consumed regularly for food in the UK?

I know it's probably considered apart of Kentucky's livestock but seeing as how those people don't use paper it's not technically defined!!!!

:yh_rotfl :yh_wink :yh_kiss
No we don't eat them here :wah: Maybe In Scotland :yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1299412 wrote: No we don't eat them here :wah: Maybe In Scotland :yh_rotfl

Well, that explains their popularity in Kentucky!!!! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink :yh_kiss
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;1299411 wrote: Is squirrel consumed regularly for food in the UK?

It is occasionally dished up in restaurants courting a "foodie", "alternative" audience, or controversy. Some individuals eat them, too, but not many, and most likely those working on the land. I have had them, but they're re a lot of effort considering the result.
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1299415 wrote: Well, that explains their popularity in Kentucky!!!! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink :yh_kiss

killer reds!:yh_rotfl

K.Snyder

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by K.Snyder »

Bill Sikes;1299451 wrote: It is occasionally dished up in restaurants courting a "foodie", "alternative" audience, or controversy. Some individuals eat them, too, but not many, and most likely those working on the land. I have had them, but they're re a lot of effort considering the result.

Yes, they would be wouldn't they?

I can't imagine squirrels are dirty animals considering their lifestyles but for some reason they don't sound appetizing. I think it's probably to do with their color. Most squirrels here in Ohio are gray so they appear sort of dirty. I'd try one no doubt but as you've said one would have to be a pro at skinning and butchering them.

BBQ sauce makes anything taste excellent! :yh_rotfl
bongbong

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by bongbong »

where can you get these killer chickens do they breed them for the purpose
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

bongbong;1311362 wrote: where can you get these killer chickens do they breed them for the purpose

only in Canada, pity eh?:yh_rotfl
Bill Sikes

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;1299504 wrote: (squirrels a big effort for little return) Yes, they would be wouldn't they?

Information: Get an air line, and one of those quills for inflating footballs. Stick the quill under the squirrel's skin, blow it up, and it skins very easily!
Odie

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1311500 wrote: Information: Get an air line, and one of those quills for inflating footballs. Stick the quill under the squirrel's skin, blow it up, and it skins very easily!

awwwwwwwwww Bill, that's just nasty!:yh_rotfl
YZGI

Killer Chickens kill Fox

Post by YZGI »

Bill Sikes;1311500 wrote: Information: Get an air line, and one of those quills for inflating footballs. Stick the quill under the squirrel's skin, blow it up, and it skins very easily!
Wow, never thought of that. Great idea. I wonder if it works on rabbits also.

Return to “Pets Animals”