'Miracle' Elephant Calf Takes First Steps

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

(March 11) -- A baby elephant that zookeepers are calling a "miracle" after presuming him to be stillborn is now shuffling around his pen in an Australian zoo.

The 255-pound male calf was born Wednesday morning after veterinarians at Sydney's Taronga Zoo declared him dead in the womb after they recorded no vital signs during his mother's six days of labor. It was the longest labor ever recorded for a land mammal.

But the newborn apparently survived in a coma, even despite an ultrasound test that concluded he had died. "That unconscious state would explain the complete absence of any vital signs during all the checks and examinations conducted during the labor," senior veterinarian Larry Vogelnest told a huge crowd of reporters gathered at a news conference in Sydney.

Story Link (with picture) Australia's Miracle Elephant Calf, 'Mr. Shuffles,' Thought to Be Stillborn, Is Thriving - AOL News
Odie

Post by Odie »

-the newborn apparently survived in a coma, even despite an ultrasound test that concluded he had died. "That unconscious state would explain the complete absence of any vital signs during all the checks and examinations conducted during the labor," senior veterinarian Larry Vogelnest told a huge crowd of reporters gathered at a news conference in Sydney.

just to weird what can happen.

so happy they didn't just pronounce him dead.

he's a real cutie!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

They did pronounce him dead. A woman keeper saw him next morning at some distance from his mother and thought she'd expelled the dead calf. But then he moved. The zoo's a short ferry ride from me.. I'll hope to go see him soon.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1296433 wrote: They did pronounce him dead. A woman keeper saw him next morning at some distance from his mother and thought she'd expelled the dead calf. But then he moved. The zoo's a short ferry ride from me.. I'll hope to go see him soon.

I know they pronounced him dead, that's why I said he was lucky they just didn't get rid of his body.

Take a pic please when you go!:-6
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Odie;1296357 wrote: -the newborn apparently survived in a coma, even despite an ultrasound test that concluded he had died. "That unconscious state would explain the complete absence of any vital signs during all the checks and examinations conducted during the labor," senior veterinarian Larry Vogelnest told a huge crowd of reporters gathered at a news conference in Sydney.

just to weird what can happen.

so happy they didn't just pronounce him dead.

he's a real cutie!:-6

Odie;1296480 wrote: I know they pronounced him dead, that's why I said he was lucky they just didn't get rid of his body.

Take a pic please when you go!:-6

-----------------------

Oh OK, I didn't understand that you were actually saying you were glad they didn't get rid of his body. I must have misread what you wrote.

When I do next go to the zoo, I'll take a photo for sure.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1296497 wrote: -----------------------

Oh OK, I didn't understand that you were actually saying you were glad they didn't get rid of his body. I must have misread what you wrote.

When I do next go to the zoo, I'll take a photo for sure.

that's okay Pam, oh I would love to see a pic of the baby, so glad he made it!

I have never ever heard of this kind of birth circumstances before, just so glad he survived!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

6 days of labor? How is mom?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

AussiePam;1296433 wrote: The zoo's a short ferry ride from me.. I'll hope to go see him soon.

Oh, Pam, I so wish I could go with you and see this baby elephant. You take the greatest pictures and I can't wait for you to go and post some of him for us.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1296656 wrote: Oh, Pam, I so wish I could go with you and see this baby elephant. You take the greatest pictures and I can't wait for you to go and post some of him for us.

hey, I asked her first eh?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Seriously, I can't wait to see him as well.:-4

he's truly a miracle.:-6

Return to “Pets Animals”