Britain could force owners to microchip their dogs

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Associated Press Writers from across Europe contributed to this story.

Story Link: Britain could force owners to microchip their dogs
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Any responsible dog owner In Britain who takes their dog to the Vet for Vaccinations will be offered a package by the Vet with a new puppy that Includes The Vaccinations, Chip and Puppy Check.

This Is a ridiculous Policy. How on earth are they going to Police It.? When you have your dog chipped here at a Vet's you are given a green tag for their collar that tells any-one If the dog Is lost, that he Is chipped. What are the Police or Council going to do? Go round looking at every dog Collar? It's stupid beyond belief.

Folk who love their dogs will always get them chipped for fear of them being lost or stolen. So what will the penalty be for not chipping your dog?

The Irresponsible will not bother as per usual.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1295476 wrote: Associated Press Writers from across Europe contributed to this story.

Story Link: Britain could force owners to microchip their dogs

It's mandatory here, when you buy a pup, its automatically done.

Dogs should be micro chipped as they become loose, they are a nuisance, some are raised for the sheer enjoyment of killing others, thank god pit bulls are illegal here now.
Life is just to short for drama.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

A few days ago, a man adopted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier from a dog sanctuary (not sure if it was the RSPCA), when he was playing with it at his home, the dog tore into him and ripped his face open! He had numerous stitches and he will now have scars. He returned the dog to the place he got it - not sure what they have done with it. Of course this news hit the TV and since that story broke, dog sanctuaries have been inundated with returned/abandoned Staffordshire Bull terriers!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1299918 wrote: A few days ago, a man adopted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier from a dog sanctuary (not sure if it was the RSPCA), when he was playing with it at his home, the dog tore into him and ripped his face open! He had numerous stitches and he will now have scars. He returned the dog to the place he got it - not sure what they have done with it. Of course this news hit the TV and since that story broke, dog sanctuaries have been inundated with returned/abandoned Staffordshire Bull terriers!

OUCH!

Someone didn't bother to train him.:-5
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1300065 wrote: OUCH!

Someone didn't bother to train him.:-5 Not Necessarily so.

If he was from a rescue home, he may have had a history of being beaten or abused. He may have attacked his new owner out of fear In new surroundings.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1300067 wrote: Not Necessarily so.

If he was from a rescue home, he may have had a history of being beaten or abused. He may have attacked his new owner out of fear In new surroundings.

If he was from a rescue, they would have known and told him.

Now they'll probably put him down.:(
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1300069 wrote: If he was from a rescue, they would have known and told him.

Now they'll probably put him down.:( They would not have necessarily known.

Not all rescue dogs are taken there by their previous owner and a full history of the dog given to the home.

If a dog has been abused, It often ends up In rescue homes when the owner fearing prosecution for cruelty dumps It by a road. The dog may not show signs of aggression while In the rescue home but In a new home, a smell, a sound, a sight, may frighten him Into being aggressive.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1300072 wrote: They would not have necessarily known.

Not all rescue dogs are taken there by their previous owner and a full history of the dog given to the home.

If a dog has been abused, It often ends up In rescue homes when the owner fearing prosecution for cruelty dumps It by a road. The dog may not show signs of aggression while In the rescue home but In a new home, a smell, a sound, a sight, may frighten him Into being aggressive.

I'm shocked to hear this!

I assumed at rescue homes, the dogs would be thoroughly checked out, and made sure they stay there until they know what the dog is like?

How can anyone give a rescue animal to someone that they don't know what they are like themselves.....if it was a rescue place.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1300105 wrote: I'm shocked to hear this!

I assumed at rescue homes, the dogs would be thoroughly checked out, and made sure they stay there until they know what the dog is like?

How can anyone give a rescue animal to someone that they don't know what they are like themselves.....if it was a rescue place. All dogs entering a rescue home will go through a probationary period, however, a dog could be In there for years until a particular fear comes to light. For example, My first rescue dog was terrified of Motorbikes... yet she went through the statatury probation period In the home before she was given to me.

How do you suggest that a rescue home finds every noise, smell, sight and sound that could make a dog fearful?

If they tested every smell, sound and sight, the dog would be In the home for so long that new admissions would be Impossible.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1300109 wrote: All dogs entering a rescue home will go through a probationary period, however, a dog could be In there for years until a particular fear comes to light. For example, My first rescue dog was terrified of Motorbikes... yet she went through the statatury probation period In the home before she was given to me.

How do you suggest that a rescue home finds every noise, smell, sight and sound that could make a dog fearful?

If they tested every smell, sound and sight, the dog would be In the home for so long that new admissions would be Impossible.

They should know when one is viscous.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1300128 wrote: They should know when one is viscous. How? Do you think Dog rescue centres have written Gauruntee's?

If a dog admited to a rescue home Is triggered by one sight, one smell, or one noise, how long do you think they should keep the dog be-fore re-homing until they find If It's sensitive to one area? What if never find It? The dogs would never be re-homed.

How about, the new owner applying some sensibility?

I have had 22 rescue dogs In my adult life-time. One was terrified of Motor-bikes and I did not learn that for a year until I had a visitor call on one.

Another dog I had, a Rottwieler cross hated any-one on a bycycle.

When you take a dog from a rescue home, you can not rely on the probationary period. The home has done their bit. They have rescued the dog, assessed It and kept It for a probation period. The rest Is up to you.

Any-one taking a dog from a rescue home should apply extra care and attention... far more than a new puppy. They should give the dog a fair settling In period and observe before say, putting your face near the dogs head.

Return to “Pets Animals”