What's wrong with my lovebird?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Flan

Post by Flan »

I have a 12 year old lovebird. Ever since he started drooping his head, I figured he was sick, so, I took him to the vet. The vet said that an ear infection was way too rare at his age and that he probably has something internal. I totally forgot to ask when to expect my lovebird to pass away, but the vet did say that when my bird starts drooping around at the bottom of his cage, I'll know that he's on his last days...My bird did start hanging around the bottom of his cage, that week, but after another week or two, he seemed alright. He's still doing alright. In fact, he's improved A LOT. He's eating his food, drinking his water, standing on his perches, and he even chirps sometimes...the only problem is that he's still drooping his head. I don't know why he's still drooping, and I don't know what to do.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks. :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

12 years is a long life for a love bird I suspect its just old age.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Have you thought of getting him a mate? Remember that these birds live in large colonies in the wild and it is un-natural for them to be alone.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My little lovebird has been getting old too, about 14. They can perk up and get better for awhile, mine has. But 12 years old is a good age for thsoe darlings.:-4
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Flan;1273769 wrote: I have a 12 year old lovebird. Ever since he started drooping his head, I figured he was sick, so, I took him to the vet. The vet said that an ear infection was way too rare at his age and that he probably has something internal. I totally forgot to ask when to expect my lovebird to pass away, but the vet did say that when my bird starts drooping around at the bottom of his cage, I'll know that he's on his last days...My bird did start hanging around the bottom of his cage, that week, but after another week or two, he seemed alright. He's still doing alright. In fact, he's improved A LOT. He's eating his food, drinking his water, standing on his perches, and he even chirps sometimes...the only problem is that he's still drooping his head. I don't know why he's still drooping, and I don't know what to do.

Have you called the vet back to voice your concerns?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Flan;1273769 wrote: I have a 12 year old lovebird. Ever since he started drooping his head, I figured he was sick, so, I took him to the vet. The vet said that an ear infection was way too rare at his age and that he probably has something internal. I totally forgot to ask when to expect my lovebird to pass away, but the vet did say that when my bird starts drooping around at the bottom of his cage, I'll know that he's on his last days...My bird did start hanging around the bottom of his cage, that week, but after another week or two, he seemed alright. He's still doing alright. In fact, he's improved A LOT. He's eating his food, drinking his water, standing on his perches, and he even chirps sometimes...the only problem is that he's still drooping his head. I don't know why he's still drooping, and I don't know what to do.

Flan when these birds are sick (like most parrots and parakeets and lorikeets ) the way they protect themselves in the wild is to act 'well', a sick bird is is a dead bird. It's a natural instinct in these types of birds . You're bird is going to die. he's feining being healthy. They do that ....it also concerns me that you havent mentioned him flying? you didn't clip his wings did you?

Return to “Pets Animals”