Lovebird Illness

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
chonsigirl

Lovebird Illness

Post by chonsigirl »

Marvin, my 14 year old peach-faced lovebird has been ill. :-1

Three months ago, he was in this other cage with not a solid floor, it was wires. He fell off his perch one day, got his wing stuck in the hole, and I gently pulled it out. I put him back in his old cage with a solid floor, and he sat on the floor an hour or two before he go back up on the perch. He was tired for a few days but ate, and went back to normal.

Last night, he fell off his perch again, onto his back, and was thrashing on the floor. He would not calm down until I picked him him, put him right side up, and held him for awhile. I put him back on the floor portion of the cage, about an hour later he got up on his perch. He recovered more quickly this time-well, no wing injury-and is eating and cheeping again. But my son thinks he is slow in his reactions-I don't know if he meant himself or the birds.....:lips: But back to Marvin, has anyone had a similar problem with their birds like this? Is it old age? Should I take him to the vet-my personal vet doesn't see birds. I would have to find one for birds, an avian vet I guess.
CARLA

Lovebird Illness

Post by CARLA »

So sorry Chonsi :-1 I would say its old age as their average life span is 10-12 years maybe a little longer if well cared for as your Marvin is.

All about Lovebirds.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/l ... rofile.htm
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Odie

Lovebird Illness

Post by Odie »

Oh Chonsi I am so sorry, but it does sounds like its old age and perhaps he is losing his balance.:-1

or he is just to tired to stand.:(
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

Lovebird Illness

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I'm so sorry Chonsi. I would bring him to a vet just to have him checked out.

I hope he recovers...the poor, wee creature:-4

abbey

Lovebird Illness

Post by abbey »

Aw bun, I'm sorry your feathered friend is poorly. :(

I have a cockatiel, Dolly, She's about 15 now and this has happened to her a few times.

The vet said it was old age and her heart is just slowing down, the last time it happened was about a year ago.

She's up on her perch right now stuffing her face on seed quite happily!

I do hope Marvin picks up. :-4
Skylark

Lovebird Illness

Post by Skylark »

chonsigirl;1264888 wrote: Marvin, my 14 year old peach-faced lovebird has been ill. :-1

Three months ago, he was in this other cage with not a solid floor, it was wires. He fell off his perch one day, got his wing stuck in the hole, and I gently pulled it out. I put him back in his old cage with a solid floor, and he sat on the floor an hour or two before he go back up on the perch. He was tired for a few days but ate, and went back to normal.

Last night, he fell off his perch again, onto his back, and was thrashing on the floor. He would not calm down until I picked him him, put him right side up, and held him for awhile. I put him back on the floor portion of the cage, about an hour later he got up on his perch. He recovered more quickly this time-well, no wing injury-and is eating and cheeping again. But my son thinks he is slow in his reactions-I don't know if he meant himself or the birds.....:lips: But back to Marvin, has anyone had a similar problem with their birds like this? Is it old age? Should I take him to the vet-my personal vet doesn't see birds. I would have to find one for birds, an avian vet I guess.

I am sorry to hear about your love bird and yes it is probably old age. It may be bettter to lower the perches and then if he does fall it won't be so far. It would be best to take him to the vet and he would advise you. He may be able to give Marvin medication.
chonsigirl

Lovebird Illness

Post by chonsigirl »

Thank you all for your advice. Skylark, I think lowering the perches might be a good idea. I will start looking for an avian vet tomorrow, maybe they can give him something if it is his little heart. He is chirping right now and seems fine, but it has happened twice. He's a brave little soul, he flew out on a cargo plane when I moved here, in his little transport cage. So he has spirit, the little dear. I think he is sad not to move like he used to, I never clipped his wings, he was trained and could roam around the house, when the cat was asleep downstairs with the door closed. And he always was good about getting his exercise, and going back for a snack and a nap right cheerful. But I didn't let him out after the first time, I was afraid what a big fall might do to him, if he was up roaming on the shelves and all. And I worried his wing was hurt, now I know he didn't get it stuck being mischievous, but fell into it, poor little bird.
Odie

Lovebird Illness

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1264955 wrote: Thank you all for your advice. Skylark, I think lowering the perches might be a good idea. I will start looking for an avian vet tomorrow, maybe they can give him something if it is his little heart. He is chirping right now and seems fine, but it has happened twice. He's a brave little soul, he flew out on a cargo plane when I moved here, in his little transport cage. So he has spirit, the little dear. I think he is sad not to move like he used to, I never clipped his wings, he was trained and could roam around the house, when the cat was asleep downstairs with the door closed. And he always was good about getting his exercise, and going back for a snack and a nap right cheerful. But I didn't let him out after the first time, I was afraid what a big fall might do to him, if he was up roaming on the shelves and all. And I worried his wing was hurt, now I know he didn't get it stuck being mischievous, but fell into it, poor little bird.

he also could have arthritis.

let us know when you find a vet what they say.:)
Skylark

Lovebird Illness

Post by Skylark »

chonsigirl;1264955 wrote: Thank you all for your advice. Skylark, I think lowering the perches might be a good idea. I will start looking for an avian vet tomorrow, maybe they can give him something if it is his little heart. He is chirping right now and seems fine, but it has happened twice. He's a brave little soul, he flew out on a cargo plane when I moved here, in his little transport cage. So he has spirit, the little dear. I think he is sad not to move like he used to, I never clipped his wings, he was trained and could roam around the house, when the cat was asleep downstairs with the door closed. And he always was good about getting his exercise, and going back for a snack and a nap right cheerful. But I didn't let him out after the first time, I was afraid what a big fall might do to him, if he was up roaming on the shelves and all. And I worried his wing was hurt, now I know he didn't get it stuck being mischievous, but fell into it, poor little bird.

His long good health is a credit to you! You have let him fly out every day, and it has kept him fit and healthy. It is sad when they can no longer as fit as they were. I am wondering if he has had some mini strokes or maybe through age he has just lost his footing. Our bird has fell of his perch but has recovered straight away.

My bird is 20 years old and has flown every day. He is very fit for his age and even the vet could not believe his age. He loves being out so much he doesn't want to go back in so I have to catch him with my cardigan!
Skylark

Lovebird Illness

Post by Skylark »

Odie;1265001 wrote: he also could have arthritis.

let us know when you find a vet what they say.:)

Our bird has a little arthritis in his foot and often rests it.
Odie

Lovebird Illness

Post by Odie »

Skylark;1265242 wrote: Our bird has a little arthritis in his foot and often rests it.

awwwwww poor birdie, that has to hurt when a bird must stand.:(

Return to “Pets Animals”