If you ever wondered what all the fuss is over... this is It..

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

As many of you know, Mr O and his pals are Barbel hunters.

Most of the Fuss is due to low numbers of Barbel, the difficulty in getting one hooked and the sheer power and might of the fish when being 'Played' into the net.

Many stories are abound of how these fish fight and Mr O had one recently that got away after It managed to straighten out a forged steel hook.

This Is Mr O's mate who caught this very near record breaker on the banks of The River Avon this morning. This is the fella they have all been after. Click on pic to enlarge.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mr O nad ?

Perhaps you can explain your love of animals in relationship to fishing ?

Just asking.

Scoundrel that I am....................
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

oscar;1257259 wrote: As many of you know, Mr O nad his pals are Barbel hunters.

Most of the Fuss is due to low numbers of Barbel, the difficulty in getting one hooked and the sheer power and might of the fish when being 'Played' into the net.

Many stories are abound of how these fish fight and Mr O had one recently that got away after It managed to straighten out a forged steel hook.

This Is Mr O's mate who caught this very near record breaker on the banks of The River Avon this morning. This is the fella they have all been after. Click on pic to enlarge.

are they your wedding photos ... you look so much younger :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

removed
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1257275 wrote: Mr O nad ?

Perhaps you can explain your love of animals in relationship to fishing ?

Just asking.

Scoundrel that I am.................... Thanks for pointing out the typo, I have edited it.

I and Mr O would not fish at all if It were not for the very strict rules and regs of British Freshwater fish. The Barbel It'self has more regs than many things. How they are landed, what they must land on, how long they are to be kept out the water, how to be re-introduced to the water etc etc. keep nets are banned also.

The welfare of the fish is paramount.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

el guapo;1257277 wrote: so lets get this right you say

its ok for horses to be whipped to make them race faster

its ok to drag a large fish out of the water with a large hook

but fox hunting and fox shooting is wrong Horses are rarely whipped in Horse racing. The whip is mostly for show and is used in training. It is in most cases used as a signal to the horse and not to beat It. A simple tap on the flank of the horse tells the horse to speed up. Jockeys who do actually HIT horses with the whip are disqualified by the Jockey Club. Study any horse race and watch the whip as it rarely comes into contact with the horse.

Any fish will fight when hooked but they are not dragged out of the water because there comes a point where all fish give up. It's then they are very carefully brought in avoiding weeds, tree roots etc into the safety of a landing net where they are placed onto a padded landing mat.

I have no problem with a farmer shooting a fox if it is a threat to his livestock. People who shoot them but are not farmers do not have that right to kill any wild animal for no reason. Hunting foxes with hounds is barbaric where the animal is torn to pieces. You can not equate that to bringing in a fish and carefully returning it to the water to live another day.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Originally Posted by el guapo View Post

so lets get this right you say

its ok for horses to be whipped to make them race faster

its ok to drag a large fish out of the water with a large hook

_________________________________________________________-

I hate horse racing for that reason, we see it here all the time, especially towards the end of a race, some jockeys even keep a little something extra on the side.:sneaky::-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am being argumentative I have no problems with fishing, or many forms of hunting.

But jamming a hook into the fleshy mouth part of a struggling fish cannot be humane........especially to an animal lover.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1257259 wrote: As many of you know, Mr O and his pals are Barbel hunters.

It's like our salmon here, your only allowed to catch so many or they will be fished out.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Wow! That is one huge fish. What did it weigh? I've fished for salmon & halibut in Alaska. I know the 8-9 lb. Silvers put up a good fight. I brought up a 50 lb. halibut once that I thought was going to pull me in! :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1257352 wrote: I am being argumentative I have no problems with fishing, or many forms of hunting.

But jamming a hook into the fleshy mouth part of a struggling fish cannot be humane........especially to an animal lover.
I agree on some fish Bruv as I've seen their mouths so terribly scarred where they have been repeatedly caught in man made lakes, one reason he doesn't like fishing the man made lakes, only rivers. The Barbel is capable if straightening a forged steel hook as happened to Mr O recently. Barbel are like the great White sharks of the river and Mr O has never ever seen one scarred just due to the strength of the fish. Some Carp have far fleshier mouths than others but Barbel do not. Having said that, they are so precious that the experienced guys treat them like new born baby's. Look at the pic again, there is real love for that fish in that guy's eyes.
Oscar Namechange

Zapata;1257370 wrote: Wow! That is one huge fish. What did it weigh? I've fished for salmon & halibut in Alaska. I know the 8-9 lb. Silvers put up a good fight. I brought up a 50 lb. halibut once that I thought was going to pull me in! :wah: That specimen was almost 13lb. They only p[ose for a quick pic and then they are very gently put straight back in the water.

It is Illegal here to kill a Barbel or any Carp.

Many years ago, I used to go sea fishing but I never caught a 50lb der.... That would drag me in :wah: I remember once the landing of a conger eel went horribly wrong for my nephew and it took a chunk out of his ankle on the deck.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1257259 wrote: As many of you know, Mr O and his pals are Barbel hunters.

just clicked on it now.

what did this one weigh? 25/30 lbs?

my god, its huge...awesome catch!:guitarist:guitarist
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Tons of hugs for Mr.O Oscar ((((((((((Mr. O)))))))))

Good on him and hope he catches many, many more elsusive fishes:-4
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

oscar;1257381 wrote: That specimen was almost 13lb. They only p[ose for a quick pic and then they are very gently put straight back in the water.

It is Illegal here to kill a Barbel or any Carp.

Many years ago, I used to go sea fishing but I never caught a 50lb der.... That would drag me in :wah: I remember once the landing of a conger eel went horribly wrong for my nephew and it took a chunk out of his ankle on the deck.

I caught a 13.13 lb Silver in the fishing derby in Seward once & it put up a great fight. Halibut don't fight so much but when they run, you have to reel & reel & reel forever to get them up.
Oscar Namechange

Zapata;1257589 wrote: I caught a 13.13 lb Silver in the fishing derby in Seward once & it put up a great fight. Halibut don't fight so much but when they run, you have to reel & reel & reel forever to get them up.
Very similar to Barbel. Once hooked, they run for England. My husband uses a titanium centre pin reel for Barbel due to the running. In the water they are shaped like Torpedo's and just run and run.

Kathy.... It was Pete's mate who caught him in the pic. Pete just wishes :wah:

Return to “Pets Animals”