How smart is your dog?...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I've had some pretty smart dogs in my life-time but this one beats the lot hands down. Last night's events left Mr O and myself quite stunned at the brains that our puppy has.

You all know the story of our puppy, the timy Jack Russell pup found in a cage last year.

Over the year, she has shown remarkable intelligence that we have laughed at on many occassion. One such example was when she realised that children came out of the school next door every day at 3pm. She waited by the gate and many kids would rush over to see her. Then it occurred to her that these kids may play ball with her. So she began to wait by the gate with her tennis ball at 3pm. Then It occurred to her that she was not big enough to hand the ball over the gate to the kids. Very soon, she tore one particular piece of wire in the gate until there was a prefect tennis ball hole for her to pass the ball through the wire to the kids.

Then we got a new sideboard and the tennis balls would dissapear under them. She was too big to get under the gap underneath the side-board but she quickly worked out that if she laid on her sides and used her front paws, she could push the ball so it re-bounded on the wall behind and spin out again.

Last night was the best. We got a new bookcase that sits behind the lounge door.

Similar gap underneath but if the lounge door is open fully, it is up against the bookcase and she can't get her paws underneath to do the re-bound trick. last night, she circled round it for a moment with that head cocked on one side type look, and decided the only way to the ball was to close the longe door. She got behind it, nudged it, laid on her stomach nudging it until it was closed and she could get under the gap for her ball. However, after a few hours, as it was windy and we had the front door open, the lounge door just kept swinging open back on to the book case again. She then, did the proceedure of shutting the door but this time, leapt up on the handle to make sure it was latched.

We were astonished.

Have your dogs ever done anything like this?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1242489 wrote:

Have your dogs ever done anything like this?

Sorry, ours is the dumbest dog in the universe - no competition there :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1242491 wrote: Sorry, ours is the dumbest dog in the universe - no competition there :wah: Not possible Bryn... My Mulder takes that prize. When his balls dissapear he just sits there whining at Pete. What breed do you have? They do say the Jack Russell is one of the smartest but even so, she astonished us.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

My dog is ok I guess. Knows what he needs to know.

I may not have him much longer. Vet bill is getting too steep for my buget. sometimes, you have to give up some things.
Oscar Namechange

Sunshine;1242502 wrote: My dog is ok I guess. Knows what he needs to know.

I may not have him much longer. Vet bill is getting too steep for my buget. sometimes, you have to give up some things. That's really sad. Do you have aided animal charities in the States as we have here such as the PDSA who treat animals for free for folks on no or low incomes?
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

oscar;1242506 wrote: That's really sad. Do you have aided animal charities in the States as we have here such as the PDSA who treat animals for free for folks on no or low incomes?

Yes we do, but unfortunatly I make too much to use the service. I make enough to cover the must pay stuff but with very little left over. He is a purebreed so I am thinking a Sheltie Rescue center. I know he will get good care and will be adopted quicky
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1242493 wrote: Not possible Bryn... My Mulder takes that prize. When his balls dissapear he just sits there whining at Pete. What breed do you have? They do say the Jack Russell is one of the smartest but even so, she astonished us.

She's a Bichon Frise - they're supposed to be circus dogs capable of learning lots of tricks but April's settled for letting the grandkids carry her round like a baby

She's just visited the flat - here's a picture of her favoured mode of transport (she has arthritis and cannot walk too far).

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1242511 wrote: She's a Bichon Frise - they're supposed to be circus dogs capable of learning lots of tricks but April's settled for letting the grandkids carry her round like a baby

She's just visited the flat - here's a picture of her favoured mode of transport (she has arthritis and cannot walk too far). That is fantastic :wah: Maybe the Bichon is so clever that she's worked out that humans will carry her :wah:. I had the delimma when Rosie was younger of her tiring quicker than the other two older dogs on long walks. I found a store in Easton that sold doggie carrying bags but Rosie fidgeted too much and it all descended into a farce. Far too interested in what was going on down on the ground. There is a local lady who unashamed takes her elderly dog out each day in a pram.
Oscar Namechange

Sunshine;1242507 wrote: Yes we do, but unfortunatly I make too much to use the service. I make enough to cover the must pay stuff but with very little left over. He is a purebreed so I am thinking a Sheltie Rescue center. I know he will get good care and will be adopted quicky I'm so sad for you to have to part with him :( The pure-breeds do tend to get adopted very quickly and I pray he gets good peeples.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1242511 wrote: She's a Bichon Frise - they're supposed to be circus dogs capable of learning lots of tricks but April's settled for letting the grandkids carry her round like a baby

She's just visited the flat - here's a picture of her favoured mode of transport (she has arthritis and cannot walk too far).

oh my that is just so cute!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1242517 wrote: oh my that is just so cute!:-6

Shout "dumbdog" and she comes to see what you want - you have to shout though as she's going deaf.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1242530 wrote: Shout "dumbdog" and she comes to see what you want - you have to shout though as she's going deaf.
Pardon?
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

oscar;1242515 wrote: I'm so sad for you to have to part with him :( The pure-breeds do tend to get adopted very quickly and I pray he gets good peeples.

Thank you Oscar. The Rescue people do a very intense research on the people who what to adopt, so I think he will be placed correctly.
Oscar Namechange

Sunshine;1242537 wrote: Thank you Oscar. The Rescue people do a very intense research on the people who what to adopt, so I think he will be placed correctly. Yes, they are pretty tough here on checking out new owners.

I often wonder If I should take puppy to the people who had her so they can see how she turned out. I accept no responsibility for the revolting throw in this pic... It's what happens when you let men go to Ikea alone.

Attached files
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1242530 wrote: Shout "dumbdog" and she comes to see what you want - you have to shout though as she's going deaf.

awwww that's nasty, dumbdog!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1242667 wrote: awwww that's nasty, dumbdog!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Good job she's deaf :wah:

Our dogs have 'selective' hearing. They only hear what they want to hear.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1242667 wrote: awwww that's nasty, dumbdog!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Do you know any other guard-dog that responds to an "intruder" by barking whilst continuing to lie on her back with her legs in the air?

Dumb, seriously dumb!
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1242690 wrote: Do you know any other guard-dog that responds to an "intruder" by barking whilst continuing to lie on her back with her legs in the air?

Dumb, seriously dumb!
No... but I do know one who throws his ball at Intruders to play. :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1242690 wrote: Do you know any other guard-dog that responds to an "intruder" by barking whilst continuing to lie on her back with her legs in the air?

Dumb, seriously dumb!

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

My brother and his wife had a bisson, not sure if that is spelled right?

She was the cutest little dog, they shaved her and she looked quite different from the normal breed.

But I laughed as she failed dog training obedience school!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

She had to take the class again to get her diploma!

just to cute!
braq

Post by braq »

Hello,

My dog likes to spend his free time solving Rubix cubes, reading classic literature, and playing chess. I like to reward his good behaviour by taking him wine tasting in the valley. He gets so excited once he figures out where we are going that he pees all over himself…
[link removed]
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If I had a dog it would be the smartest dog ever. Smarter than me probably. Well maybe not that smart but it would be the first dog accepted into MIT and it would go on to make great discoveries in science that would blow regular people not as smart as my dog away.

No question !
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Post by minks »

I used to live out on an acerage and we had a mixed breed mutt of a dog and she had puppies. We gave away all the pups but one. We kept the 2 dogs out in the barn and had an outside pen built so they could come and go from the barn to the pen all year round. (barn was loaded with hay so doggies were warm)

All of us were away from the house during the week so the dogs were left on their own till we got home. Well everyday as we drove down our country road we could see the dog pen, the puppy would be lying outside of the pen watching the world go by. As soon as he would see our cars he would jump back into the pen. I don't know if that is deemed smart or dumb but it sure was funny.

Current dogs I have, very very very dumb hehehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

My Dog is smarter than anyone, especially me!

Except he's a humper. Will hump any dog, sometimes a human.

Not ME! OKAY!!???:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Amythest;1294193 wrote: My Dog is smarter than anyone, especially me!

that's okay, my 4 male cats who have been fixed hump each other!:yh_rotfl
Bevdee

Post by Bevdee »

Amythest;1294193 wrote: My Dog is smarter than anyone, especially me!

Humper!! Mine is a crotch hound.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Our second dog was a rescue dog from the RSPCA. He had been found 'living rough' in woods north of Nottingham. He was about the size of a poodle (not standard), he was black all over and had shaggy dog hair. You couldn't see his eyes because he had a fringe of black hair which flopped over them, and we often wondered how he could see! When we lived in an area called West Bridgford, a residential area, we could not keep him in the garden because he would jump over a 6 ft 6 inch high wall, or similar height fence. The locals called him the wall-walker!:wah: He was a hellova character, and very bright.

One occasion was when we were on our summer holiday and we were relaxing on the sandy beach. We had a beach hut, which was lovely, and there was an icecream shop just 30 yards away from our hut. Outside that icecream shop were a couple of wire mesh, tall waste baskets, side by side. Each one was about half full of rubbish and there were several wasps buzzing around them Tinker was lying about 3 feet away from these baskets and was looking from one to the other, and he was doing this for some minutes. Suddenly he jumped up and dug furiously between the two baskets, and in a very short time the pair of baskets toppled over together, tipping their contents onto the sand. Tinker dived into one of them, totally disregarding the wasps and rummaged amongst the debris till he found a tasty tub that had contained ice cream. We just hooted with laughter at his antics, realising that his history of scavenging, when he was a stray, would never leave him ! What amazed us was his 'working things out' it seemed that he was working out the best and most economic way of tipping the baskets so that he had access to the inviting contents. He tipped them both at the same time, rather than one at a time !

Smart ? I'd say so :yh_rotfl

This display of intelligence was not an isolated example. Back home he left a pair of boots outside our back door (socks tucked inside !) They were adult boots size 9, and hardly used! Now to get the pair he would have had to make two trips as they were not tied together by the laces! Why would a dog know that one boot by itself was useless? We could just imagine the owner leaving them on the doorstep, rather than tramp inside the house with muddy boots! The same night, Tinker also managed to bring back a hearth rug ffs! How he got all these things over the wall is anybody's guess! We advertised these things in our local corner shop, but heard nothing, so after 4 weeks, we cleaned the rug and used it, and our son took over the boots. We binned the socks though ! :yh_rotfl He did the same thing with a pair of child's walking shoes (hardly worn), but fortunatley they were claimed, much to the relief and amusement of the mum! :wah:

It was at this point that I wondered if we could train Tinker to recognise bundles of £20 notes and send him round to the bank ! :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl I would put a pic on of our dear little Tinker, but I haven't any uploaded on my laptop :-1
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “Pets Animals”