Man escapes charges for barbecuing pet dog

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

(CNN) -- A man who roasted his pet dog to enjoy as a meal with his family and friends escaped prosecution after authorities in New Zealand determined the animal was killed humanely.

"We were in a dilemma at seeing something we were fairly upset about -- but being in a position of being able to do absolutely nothing about it," said Garth Halliday, of the Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, on Monday.

The SPCA -- which investigates acts of animal cruelty and presses charges -- responded to the house in Mangere, south of Auckland.

There, officers found the charred body of a Staffordshire terrier cooking in a barbecue pit.

"They had had the dog for a while, but the man told us his wife was getting tired of the dog. He was becoming a pest," Halliday said.

"They decided to get rid of him. But instead of bringing him to the SPCA -- which we recommend -- they decided to have a meal, and cook and eat him."

The family is from Tonga where eating a dog is not uncommon, Halliday said.

"He didn't think he was doing anything wrong," he said. Is eating dog meat acceptable? Sound Off below

The incident occurred in February. For the next few months, the SPCA looked into whether the man ought to be charged for the killing. Over the weekend, the organization decided it couldn't because the animal had been killed humanely.

The man, Halliday said, struck the dog in the head with a hammer, rendering it unconscious. He then slit its throat.

"That is the normal way -- if one can use that word -- that animals are killed all over the world," Halliday said.

And under New Zealand's Animal Welfare Act, it is legal to kill an animal if it is slaughtered swiftly and painlessly.

Dr Malakai Koloamatangi, a Tongan cultural expert from the University of Canterbury, told CNN affiliate TVNZ that dog meat is a delicacy enjoyed mostly by young men in his homeland.

Still, the case infuriated and repulsed many New Zealanders.

"It's appalling," said Gracie Williams of Auckland. "As an animal lover, I am sickened. The law needs to be changed."

Auckland Mayor John Banks, an animal rights activist, told reporters that rather than a new law, what is needed is better education of local customs.

In the end, the SPCA closed the case without charges.

"We talked to the people. We told them that although it's not against the law, it is against the general culture of the country to actually kill and eat your own pet dog," Halliday said.

Above: BBQ Pit where dog was roasted.

I guess we're supposed to be tolerant of other cultures and surely the way we slaughter animals in the western world is nothing to be proud of, but I have trouble understanding how you just decide to eat your (apparently not so) beloved pet one day.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

What else can you do with a dead dog?:confused:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Give it a proper burial? Find him a good home instead of killing him? Sounds good to me.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

That's not very nice.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Sick Bastard. :mad:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

When the kids said that they wanted hot dogs for dinner.......
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

I know somebody who adores her two shih-tzus, yet she will go on and on about how great the veal is at her favourite restaurant, and she struts around town in an expensive fur coat, a status symbol of her successful career. :-5

"Why are some animals called "pets", and others called "dinner"?"

k.d. lang
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Richard Bell;1231744 wrote: I know somebody who adores her two shih-tzus, yet she will go on and on about how great the veal is at her favourite restaurant, and she struts around town in an expensive fur coat, a status symbol of her successful career. :-5

"Why are some animals called "pets", and others called "dinner"?"

k.d. lang Double standards.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
cigar898

Post by cigar898 »

Korea it's allowed. Why do we judge others for what to them is a 'norm' but not to us? I'm sure 'we' eat things or do things that to others seem weird or strange........
Those who made the ultimate sacrifice thought YOU were worth dying for. Remember THEM

I'm Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Christian, and a proud Veteran. Therefore, my government has labeled me a "right-wing extremist", a militia member, and a possible domestic terrorist
Odie

Post by Odie »

cigar898;1231883 wrote: Korea it's allowed. Why do we judge others for what to them is a 'norm' but not to us? I'm sure 'we' eat things or do things that to others seem weird or strange........

so its okay to eat your own pet?

not with me its not.:lips:
Life is just to short for drama.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

cigar898;1231883 wrote: Korea it's allowed. Why do we judge others for what to them is a 'norm' but not to us? I'm sure 'we' eat things or do things that to others seem weird or strange........

YA like tofu.. I mean what the feck is that???

Return to “Pets Animals”