Endangered Species

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Nomad

Endangered Species

Post by Nomad »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama on Tuesday overturned a last-minute Bush administration regulation that many environmentalists claim weakened the Endangered Species Act.

President Obama, with Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, marked the agency's 160th birthday Tuesday.

The regulation, issued a few weeks before George W. Bush left office, made it easier for federal agencies to skip consultations with government scientists before launching projects that could affect endangered wildlife.

By overturning the regulation, Obama said during an enthusiastic reception at the Interior Department, he had restored "the scientific process to its rightful place at the heart of the Endangered Species Act, a process undermined by past administrations."

Under the Bush administration rule, there was no need for a federal agency to consult with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or the National Marine Fisheries Services if that agency determined that no harm would come to an endangered species as a result of its project.

But the determination of what "no harm" meant rested with agency bureaucrats instead of scientists.

Obama issued a memorandum that effectively suspends the regulation while ordering a review to determine whether it promotes "the purposes of the [Endangered Species Act]."

"The work of scientists and experts in my administration, including right here in the Interior Department, will be respected," Obama said. "For more than three decades, the Endangered Species Act has successfully protected our nation's most threatened wildlife, and we should be looking for ways to improve it, not weaken it."

Environmental groups were quick to praise Obama's action.

"President Obama's announcement will allow to do what it was intended: protect our nation's endangered plants and animals," said Andrew Wetzler, director of the Natural Resources Defense Council's Endangered Species Program.

"Reversing the Bush administration's midnight action will restore protections for our last wild places and species."

Obama also helped celebrate the 160th anniversary of the Interior Department on Tuesday.

"Throughout our history, there's been a tension between those who've sought to conserve our natural resources for the benefit of future generations and those who have sought to profit from these resources," he told department employees.

"But I'm here to tell you this is a false choice. With smart, sustainable policies, we can grow our economy today and preserve the environment for ourselves, our children and our grandchildren."
I AM AWESOME MAN
Kindle

Endangered Species

Post by Kindle »

Nomad;1151468 wrote: ..............."The work of scientists and experts in my administration, including right here in the Interior Department, will be respected," Obama said. "For more than three decades, the Endangered Species Act has successfully protected our nation's most threatened wildlife, and we should be looking for ways to improve it, not weaken it."

Environmental groups were quick to praise Obama's action.

"President Obama's announcement will allow to do what it was intended: protect our nation's endangered plants and animals," said Andrew Wetzler, director of the Natural Resources Defense Council's Endangered Species Program................

I am for protecting endangered species. I'd be happier if Obama left out the phrase "in my administration". To me, this sounds like they can manipulate it how they want for what they want to do.

I'd rather see the scientists publicly state their case and then have Mr Wetzler act on their input. This would make it less a political football.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
qsducks

Endangered Species

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1151670 wrote: I am for protecting endangered species. I'd be happier if Obama left out the phrase "in my administration". To me, this sounds like they can manipulate it how they want for what they want to do.

I'd rather see the scientists publicly state their case and then have Mr Wetzler act on their input. This would make it less a political football.

Yes, because if a Repub gets into office in the next 4-8 yrs they will overturn this act as usual because they are all too friendly with "big business".:mad:
Oscar Namechange

Endangered Species

Post by Oscar Namechange »

qsducks;1151681 wrote: Yes, because if a Repub gets into office in the next 4-8 yrs they will overturn this act as usual because they are all too friendly with "big business".:mad: Is Nomad on the endangered species list? :(
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kindle

Endangered Species

Post by Kindle »

oscar;1151691 wrote: Is Nomad on the endangered species list? :(

He must be. He's still dancing...................:D

qsducks

Endangered Species

Post by qsducks »

Kindle;1151714 wrote: He must be. He's still dancing...................:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Endangered Species

qsducks;1151717 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Nomad did admit on another thread that he wears a flea coller :wah:

ENDANGERED SPECIE'S

THE GREATER SPOTTED NOMAD
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kindle

Endangered Species

Post by Kindle »

oscar;1151743 wrote: Nomad did admit on another thread that he wears a flea coller :wah:

ENDANGERED SPECIE'S

Hope he's had all his shots too.................................... :rolleyes:

qsducks

Endangered Species

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1151743 wrote: Nomad did admit on another thread that he wears a flea coller :wah:

ENDANGERED SPECIE'S

Yes, and he lives forever in a doghouse:wah:
Oscar Namechange

Endangered Species

qsducks;1151748 wrote: Yes, and he lives forever in a doghouse:wah:

Yep........ here he is :yh_rotfl

Attached files
sunny104

Endangered Species

Post by sunny104 »

poor nomad! :-1

:yh_giggle
Nomad

Endangered Species

Post by Nomad »

poor nomad!

I know right !

:yh_giggle

Oh.