Dog walking neglect

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Tan

Dog walking neglect

Post by Tan »

How often is 'normal' to walk your dog?

Does anyone have tips on controlling a pulling doggy?

My husky gets plenty of running and walking time, although Ive been feeling guilty lately, with the cold weather Ive been neglecting her for a few days now:yh_worry

She loves to pull and is getting bigger and stronger. When we neglect her walking routine she pulls even harder and stronger and I feel I have to train her over again.

Attached files
Tan
Odie

Dog walking neglect

Post by Odie »

Tan;1126565 wrote: How often is 'normal' to walk your dog?

My husky gets plenty of running and walking time, although Ive been feeling guilty lately, with the cold weather Ive been neglecting her for a few days now:yh_worry

She loves to pull and is getting bigger and stronger. When we neglect her walking routine she pulls even harder and stronger and I feel I have to train her over again.

walk her twice a day, but not for long if its that cold, her pads will freeze.......it's like they always say, if your cold, your pet is.....

start over again with the training and always remember to give her treats when she does well.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Dog walking neglect

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have always gone by Caesar Milan's philosophy...LOVE...EXERCISE...DISCIPLINE. The weather has been pretty awful here with snow this week also. I have had alot of experience with big dogs but not a Husky. If mine pulled, I'd simply stop walking. Stand still and make him stand still. As soon as the strain on the lead slakens, start up again. They soon get very fed up with this and learn to walk by your side. How do you hold your lead? How long is it? It should not be so long that he can drag you. Hold the lead in your hand and with the other hand grip the lead further down near to the neck as this will give you much greater control.

Don't worry about not being able to get out in bad weather. It happens to us all. try to make 3 brief walks instead of one or two longer one's. A dog needs regular excersise not so much the length of the walk. If it really gets bad and you can't get out with him, make sure you give him a few special one on one times during the day and evening by playing games with balls etc. Even a simple 'hide and seek' game will wear the biggest of dogs out.

He looks a beauty :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Sunshine

Dog walking neglect

Post by Sunshine »

I somewhat cheated with mine. I used a harness, as a collar never worked well, like Jester said. I used a fanny pack with treats in it and held one in my right hand while controling the dog with my left. Short leash your dog as well. If you hold the treat near your body on your left hand side, waist level, your dog should learn to watch you and follow and stop when you do and sit. If he does well, let him have the treat and praise him for a job well done. Let us know how it works out for you. Pretty dog too. I :-4 huskys. They look so regal.
Oscar Namechange

Dog walking neglect

Sunshine;1126648 wrote: I somewhat cheated with mine. I used a harness, as a collar never worked well, like Jester said. I used a fanny pack with treats in it and held one in my right hand while controling the dog with my left. Short leash your dog as well. If you hold the treat near your body on your left hand side, waist level, your dog should learn to watch you and follow and stop when you do and sit. If he does well, let him have the treat and praise him for a job well done. Let us know how it works out for you. Pretty dog too. I :-4 huskys. They look so regal.

Sunshine, as this is a British and American forum, to stop you getting into trouble, i had better point out hat the word 'Fanny' means something else in Britain and can be deemed offensive :wah: A Fanny here is your Virgina. :wah: If you tell a British girl that she has a nice fanny, you are likely to be arrested.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Sunshine

Dog walking neglect

Post by Sunshine »

oscar;1126651 wrote: Sunshine, as this is a British and American forum, to stop you getting into trouble, i had better point out hat the word 'Fanny' means something else in Britain and can be deemed offensive :wah: A Fanny here is your Virgina. :wah: If you tell a British girl that she has a nice fanny, you are likely to be arrested.

Opps, :o Ummmm, need to find the right wording for the type of item then. Just a sec. Ahhh, waist pack. That should clear it up a bit. LOL

Oscar Namechange

Dog walking neglect

Sunshine;1126670 wrote: Opps, :o Ummmm, need to find the right wording for the type of item then. Just a sec. Ahhh, waist pack. That should clear it up a bit. LOL

arrrrrrr Shop-lifting gear as we in britain call them :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
buttercup

Dog walking neglect

Post by buttercup »

Hi Tan

1st your dog is beautiful, but its a husky of course its going to pull, its bred to pull. As for the weather well again its a husky, its in heaven when it sees snow of course it wants out more. Now your likely going to hate me for saying this but there's no nice way to say it - no matter what the weather get your dog out, it needs at the absolute minimum of 1 hour of exersize per day. If for whatever reason you cannot give this to the dog you are asking for trouble, Husky's are very intelligent dogs & it will destroy things in your house & garden in its boredom, this will not be the dogs fault - it will be yours.

When you take on a husky your life changes, its a working dog & needs to work or its life will be crap. Get yourself a bike & attatchment where the dog can run alongside you, you will find them on e-bay called walky dog. Buy a scooter or rig, hitch it up & let it pull to its hearts content, its great fun. My dogs can do an 8 mile hike & still not be out of puff, they'd go all day.

If you cannot do any of these things you should seriously consider the possibility of rehoming the dog to someone who will. I really dont want to upset you but i am involved in Husky rescue & the general public just dont know what they are taking on when they get one, sure they are just like any other dog as a puppy but once they hit 10 months & above you would not believe the amount that come into rescue, please, please, please join Husky forums, use google to find out as much information about them as you can. I would be more than happy to send you some helpful links if you dont hate me too much at this point.

Oscar - Cesar says - excersize - disipline - affection (in that order) not the way you put it :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Dog walking neglect

buttercup;1126736 wrote: Hi Tan

Oscar - Cesar says - excersize - disipline - affection (in that order) not the way you put it :wah:

Alright Alright..... It was a long day :wah:
Victoria

Dog walking neglect

Post by Victoria »

I have 3 dogs and with the bad weather it is less attractive to go for long walks but it is not fair for them to be indoors too long . When we get a dog we must accept the responsability that comes with them.

I walk mine 3 times a day.

I change the route regularly this helps to stop them getting bored. I regularly take them to a place where I can let the 2 I trust off lead to run around and interact with other dogs. If I go to the post box or the bank I take them with me its only 5 minutes but as an extra its exciting for them.

I have lots of playthings at home for them.

A bored dog will bark, rip up your home and act up when you walk him/her.
kazalala

Dog walking neglect

Post by kazalala »

i use a harness for my dog, a staffie. She was a nightmare when we first got her, and it was taking me hours to walk her with keep stopping every time she pulled. So every time i went out as soon as she started pulling,, i stopped turned the opposite way and started walking again, she would walk a few steps well, then start pulling again,, so again i would turn the opposite way and walk,,, this would sometimes take 5 to 10 mins of walking up and down like an idiot:yh_rotfl but it worked for us,, and after only a few days she was remarkably better. :D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
buttercup

Dog walking neglect

Post by buttercup »

Pawtrekker - Dog Scooters | Scooter Parts | Scooter Accessories

Harnesses, Lines, Booties and Sled Dog Equipment from Culpeppers

Siberian Husky Club of Canada > Official Website >
buttercup

Dog walking neglect

Post by buttercup »

Sled Dog Central: Links to Other Mushing Sites

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/
Helen

Dog walking neglect

Post by Helen »

Sunshine;1126670 wrote: Opps, :o Ummmm, need to find the right wording for the type of item then. Just a sec. Ahhh, waist pack. That should clear it up a bit. LOL

also known as bum bags here too so just as rude lol:yh_rotfl
Helen

Dog walking neglect

Post by Helen »

i have an english springer spaniel who pulled like a train. no matter how far you walk then they just do not wear out !!

however, i had to have him castrated to prevent colon cancer ( these dogs produce a lot of testosterone which causes this ) and since he's had that done, he's calmed down a lot.

must have been a shock to him lol !!
Oscar Namechange

Dog walking neglect

jimbo;1126796 wrote: having just spent the last two weeks laid up in bed ,i'd like to point out my dogs neglected to walk me not even once at all even :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: mans best friend my arse

Know how you feel mate........ can't even get mine to bring me tea in bed :(:(:(
Chezzie

Dog walking neglect

Post by Chezzie »

My Scrappy has at least 2 good walks a day which are part lead then he's let off to run round, mainly forests or common land no matter what the weather.
Tan

Dog walking neglect

Post by Tan »

WOW thanks for all the great replies guys and gals. I really appreciate the advice.

I am obsessed with my Nikita

Attached files
Tan
Chezzie

Dog walking neglect

Post by Chezzie »

Tan;1127242 wrote: WOW thanks for all the great replies guys and gals. I really appreciate the advice.

I am obsessed with my Nikita

Awww Tan Nikita is so beautiful, and if your the blonde in the pic, so are you hun...Looking mighty fine girlfriend....Bow Chicka Wow Wow:-6
kazalala

Dog walking neglect

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;1127277 wrote: Awww Tan Nikita is so beautiful, and if your the blonde in the pic, so are you hun...Looking mighty fine girlfriend....Bow Chicka Wow Wow:-6

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:thinking:i have serious doubts about you chez:-3:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Chezzie

Dog walking neglect

Post by Chezzie »

kazalala;1127284 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:thinking:i have serious doubts about you chez:-3:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I like giving compliments:o:o:o...Im a married lady and like meat thanks :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Chezzie

Dog walking neglect

Post by Chezzie »

jimbo;1127301 wrote: not into sushi then :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

ewwww no way....:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl...maybe a bit of muffin:yh_rotfl
kazalala

Dog walking neglect

Post by kazalala »

Chezzie;1127287 wrote: I like giving compliments:o:o:o...Im a married lady and like meat thanks :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

what about veg:sneaky::sneaky::D:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Tan

Dog walking neglect

Post by Tan »

:yh_rotfl

Thanks for the bow chicka wow wow
Tan
Tan

Dog walking neglect

Post by Tan »

:wah:

:thinking:

..wait a second...

jimbo;1127263 wrote: it always amazes me how much dogs love the taste of cheap aftershave :sneaky::sneaky::yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/attac ... 08-009.jpg
Tan

Return to “Pets Animals”