Are Anglers A Menace To Wildlife?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My husband has fished since he was a boy. He is always of the mind that the fish's welfare comes first. Often, if it's a large carp, he will not even pose for the picture, worrying about getting the fish back in the water.

Today after many hours & not even a tiddler to his name, he phoned me from the banks of the river & asked how to unhook an extremely irate male swan. I am pleased to say that the swan was un-injured & took his revenge on my husbands private parts as he climbed the bank. To add insult, the hooligan swan then ate his sandwiches. Husband said the swan was in no mood for an arguement & so left him to it. All anglers should be banned for the sake of our wildlife. My husband blamed the swan for swimming as he was casting. On a serious note, i have seen ducklings with lead & line in their mouths.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

p.s. Many thanks to the swan for getting him in the fishing tackle department.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

I must say I have never understood fishing, they hang around for hours in the cold then drag a fish out of the water by means of a sharp metal hook in its mouth, then they either throw it back or keep it for hours in a keep net to show friends 'what a whopper I caught today'

Or if they are German they whack the poor creature on the head and throw its dead body back in the water to rot.:-1

Hunting any animal just does not seem like 'sport' or 'fun' to me:(
Oscar Namechange

Victoria;979932 wrote: I must say I have never understood fishing, they hang around for hours in the cold then drag a fish out of the water by means of a sharp metal hook in its mouth, then they either throw it back or keep it for hours in a keep net to show friends 'what a whopper I caught today'

Or if they are German they whack the poor creature on the head and throw its dead body back in the water to rot.:-1

Hunting any animal just does not seem like 'sport' or 'fun' to me:( This is my husbands passion in life but i agree with you. He spends a small fortune on tackle & i'm pleased to say comfy landing mats for the fish but he insists fish are cold blooded & do not feel the hook. He is a considerate angler who has rescued many a ducking from other anglers neglect. It is by any means "Hunting" in my opinion. I find it ironic that our British Anglers are now bitterly complaining that carp resources are being stretched by polish immigrants who's sunday roast happens to be the common carp & a delicacy for them. On his return today he spoke of another angler who emptied his keep net of 15 or so bream. It is only our laws that stop them doing what the germans do.
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;979855 wrote: My husband has fished since he was a boy. He is always of the mind that the fish's welfare comes first. Often, if it's a large carp, he will not even pose for the picture, worrying about getting the fish back in the water.

Today after many hours & not even a tiddler to his name, he phoned me from the banks of the river & asked how to unhook an extremely irate male swan. I am pleased to say that the swan was un-injured & took his revenge on my husbands private parts as he climbed the bank. To add insult, the hooligan swan then ate his sandwiches. Husband said the swan was in no mood for an arguement & so left him to it. All anglers should be banned for the sake of our wildlife. My husband blamed the swan for swimming as he was casting. On a serious note, i have seen ducklings with lead & line in their mouths.

Anglers are not the problem, over fishing and mass netting in the North Atlantic, Central Atlantic, New Zealand waters and indiscriminate taking of whales and sharks is.
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

I like to go fishing every now & then.

Can't fish much around here atm as it's an hours drive to the nearest river that has no water in it because of the drought:-1

Some anglers are a menace but most are pretty responsible about what they do.

The swan got revenge;):wah::lips:
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;980096 wrote: Anglers are not the problem, over fishing and mass netting in the North Atlantic, Central Atlantic, New Zealand waters and indiscriminate taking of whales and sharks is.
I totally agree Lon. Sharks & whales? I can't even bear to think of their suffering. We had a horrid picture in one of our papers very recently. Our authorities put a baby whale to sleep because it was orphaned & pitifully trying to get milk from a yacht. Man will gradually empty every ocean of anything edible to make a doller or £. Most anglers in the U.k. are regulated. They need licenses etc & most are considerate but many are not. I have seen heron & commerant nests shot up by anglers who have objected to them eating fish out of their precious man made lakes. Other species here have been gradually driven to the brink of extinction such as otters just to save fish stocks for anglers. We have a t.v. prog on here in the U.K. at the moment with an American guy called "Rich Hall". Do you know of him as i'd like to marry him?

I ask my husband what is the joy in sitting on a damp riverbank miserable as sin for hours on end. He says it's sport??????:mad:
Oscar Namechange

mrsK;980122 wrote:

The swan got revenge;):wah::lips: Oh, what i would have given to be there. I will not be nursing husbands bruised bits.:wah::wah::wah: I owe that swan a sandwich
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;979855 wrote: My husband has fished since he was a boy. He is always of the mind that the fish's welfare comes first. Often, if it's a large carp, he will not even pose for the picture, worrying about getting the fish back in the water.

You did save them didn't you?
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;980152 wrote: You did save them didn't you? Oh, your so sweet for caring.:-1 We do what we can at the time, if we find them quick enough. If i go fishing with my husband, i get very bored very quickly. I'm not allowed to talk because husband says it disturbs the feeding of the fish. I always take a walk round a lake or river bank & it's frightening to find the amount of discarded lead shot, hooks & line. Alot of anglers will use hook size way too big for the fish. I see so many with their mouths scarred from being constantly landed. I found a huge hook recently with bait still attached on a lake side with two day old ducklings feet away from it. It's horrible:mad:
Odie

Post by Odie »

I have fished my entire life...........never hurt anything..........most fish are put back into the water.......the only ones I have kept is for food.

what really pissed me off is to see fishing line everywhere!

now that right there is the anglers fault!
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Odie;980206 wrote: I have fished my entire life...........never hurt anything..........most fish are put back into the water.......the only ones I have kept is for food.

what really pissed me off is to see fishing line everywhere!

now that right there is the anglers fault! Bloody line. Every time i've gone fishing with the husband, it's everywhere. What's wrong with them?? If they charged £10 for a foot of the stuff, they'd pick it up then. It's not just the wildlife, some take their kids fishing & there is discarded hooks lying around. Some people are so stupid. I was at a well fished man made carp lake with husband last year. Woman came along, took her labrador off the leash ready to swim in it before i stopped her. She got nasty, she thought i was being mean to the dog Derrrr!
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;985681 wrote: Bloody line. Every time i've gone fishing with the husband, it's everywhere. What's wrong with them?? If they charged £10 for a foot of the stuff, they'd pick it up then. It's not just the wildlife, some take their kids fishing & there is discarded hooks lying around. Some people are so stupid. I was at a well fished man made carp lake with husband last year. Woman came along, took her labrador off the leash ready to swim in it before i stopped her. She got nasty, she thought i was being mean to the dog Derrrr!

I have also seen those dreaded fish hooks lying around!

they have no respect!
Oscar Namechange

The latest thing in Britain is yobs mugging solitary anglers for their fishing gear. Was a time when anglers could wander off to chat to other fisherman. Not any more if there is young hoodies about. No respectable yob is going to be miles from any where up a river bank for no reason. One angler was badly beaten up for his gear.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;980177 wrote: Oh, your so sweet for caring.:-1 We do what we can at the time, if we find them quick enough. If i go fishing with my husband, i get very bored very quickly. I'm not allowed to talk because husband says it disturbs the feeding of the fish. I always take a walk round a lake or river bank & it's frightening to find the amount of discarded lead shot, hooks & line. Alot of anglers will use hook size way too big for the fish. I see so many with their mouths scarred from being constantly landed. I found a huge hook recently with bait still attached on a lake side with two day old ducklings feet away from it. It's horrible:mad:

I just have a thing for duckies. My son collects the rubber ones and they have grown on me. Hence my screen name. I collect them also for him. But to see those little duckies in pain makes me sick. I don't get hunting either. Sitting in a tree all morning, freezing your a$$ off is way too boring.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;991608 wrote: I just have a thing for duckies. My son collects the rubber ones and they have grown on me. Hence my screen name. I collect them also for him. But to see those little duckies in pain makes me sick. I don't get hunting either. Sitting in a tree all morning, freezing your a$$ off is way too boring.
The Canadian geese goslings are the best. They hatch tiny little bright yellow things & soon become as big as mom. A woman was prosecuted in our courts for taking Canadian geese eggs. I think she was heavilly fined. That will be the most expensive omelette she's ever had. Watched a t.v. prog last night. Robson Green caught a 90 lb cat fish. Wish we had them in our rivers.
Oscar Namechange

Love your pic ODIE. One of my fav t.v. progs.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;992698 wrote: The Canadian geese goslings are the best. They hatch tiny little bright yellow things & soon become as big as mom. A woman was prosecuted in our courts for taking Canadian geese eggs. I think she was heavilly fined. That will be the most expensive omelette she's ever had. Watched a t.v. prog last night. Robson Green caught a 90 lb cat fish. Wish we had them in our rivers.

Oh, the bottom feeders (catfish). As for the idiot and the eggs, yes she should get fined big time. Granted, down here, geese are a pain in the butt, pooping everywhere.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;992698 wrote: The Canadian geese goslings are the best. They hatch tiny little bright yellow things & soon become as big as mom. A woman was prosecuted in our courts for taking Canadian geese eggs. I think she was heavilly fined. That will be the most expensive omelette she's ever had. Watched a t.v. prog last night. Robson Green caught a 90 lb cat fish. Wish we had them in our rivers.

tis a law..............do not hunt Canadian Geese!
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;992704 wrote: Love your pic ODIE. One of my fav t.v. progs.

I forget which one I had posted now!:-5
Oscar Namechange

Odie;992712 wrote: I forget which one I had posted now!:-5 Twas the guy who never takes his shades off.:wah: Only in Britain can you get just 4 yrs prison for stamping on some-one's face & breaking every bone going & yet face prison if you take a Canadian Goose egg. Having said that, i'm glad she got hauled before the courts & fined. Omelette's will be off the menu in her house for a while. One of our national papers did a spread about what a nuisence Canadian Geese are. I love them even though they do poo everywhere. I love the tiny stumpy wings the chicks have when they hatch. If you want to feed the chicks, mums are far more placid than Swans. Big big mistake to try to hand feed cygnets when mom's about.
Oscar Namechange

Those catfish have got a mouth like Cherie Blair. That reminds me, must post a letter.:wah: In this prog last night, they had caught catfish up to 250 lb... I'd love to see one of them coming out the water when the husband is expecting a 3lb bream. They said there was a rumour about this river in Spain where they were catching them, that they had cut one open & found a woman. Urban Myth's eh??:confused: Well done to Robson Green for returning them live.

Return to “Pets Animals”