Poodle With an Attitude

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Clint

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by Clint »

We have a poodle that's a little over a year old. We got her because she was in a home with another poodle and she was so dominate the other poodle didn't any quality of life.

We have been able to train her out of a lot of the things that made her hard to live around but she can still get meaner than a snake if she decides she wants to do something her way. We are getting worried because she has started biting when we try to get something she's not supposed to have out of her mouth. She will stand an challenge me with bare teeth and growling when I tell her not to do something she really wants to do.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
RedGlitter

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by RedGlitter »

Sounds like she needs to learn the command of "drop it!" Maybe you could use food rewards to get her to drop the thing in her mouth. Offer her a small treat such as a piece of weiner and tell her firmly "drop it" and hopefully she will be interested enough in the treat to do just that so you can exchange it for whatever she was chewing on. I think this is one for Val or LuvDawgs or one of our other dog people. If I know Val, she'll probably tell you that you need to establish that you are the "alpha" in the family and that your command is the rule. I would be interested in how you are to do that though. I'll buzz her and ask her to come in here.
Clint

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by Clint »

Offering food to replace what she has in her mouth sounds like a good idea. We know she loves food! I've made some progress in the alpha department but she's a tough one.

I'll be turning in pretty soon so I'll look for more in the morning.

Thank you!
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
RedGlitter

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by RedGlitter »

You're welcome Clint! Wish I could be of a lot more help. I did email Val and asked her to give us some advice. :) She is a smart cookie with animals.
gmc

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by gmc »

The one and only time I have hit pup was to stop him biting while still a pup-play bite puppy teeth still hurt and wanted that behaviour stopped while still a pup. By hit I mean a sharp tap on the nose, once was all it took and I felt a real **** at the time just because of the look I got. it's more the shock value than anything else I suspect. Older dogs discipline a young pup with a sharp nip. You can also grab it by the scruff and make it do what you want That's what an adult dog would do-gently but firmly works.

Getting him to release something takes patience. Constant repetition of the command leave and a big fuss and reward when he does what you want. Don't get involved in a tugging match cos he'll think you are playing with him. Speak softly and try tapping he nose gently. When he lets go big fuss and reward. You see a lot of people when a pup finally does what is wanted that are so relieved they forget to reward the dog so he doesn't get the point.

If he's outside and picks up something you don't want him to have trying yelling leave and throw the lead so it lands beside him (not at him) some people use a can with stones for the same purpose. It's basic operand conditioning. Don't shout unless it's to get his attention by calling his name or to give a command like leave. Give commands softly.

He wants you to interact with him you just need to make sure it's on your terms. It's a dog remember so don't read human motives in to what it's doing.

Remember his name is not a command. Call his name and give the command- classic at the weekend there my mother in law calling the dog kept calling his name (she wanted him to come to her) which got his attention but didn't give a command, telepathy doesn't work with dogs.( neither does being a smart arse with the mother in law so be careful how you make the point if the situation arises with yours)

Disclaimer: I don't pretend to be an expert but the above worked for me. Poodles are actually amongst the most intelligent of the dogs-well the standards are not so sure about the mutant mini versions. Used to have one get a mountain bike and tire the thing out though I would wait till he's a bit older before you take him very far.
Accountable

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by Accountable »

Whisper to her, Clint. :wah:

Red's suggestion is good. I would just add to give LOTS of praise when she does what you want (the poodle, not Red. Red never does what you want ;)). Establish yourself as alpha while the dog is calm, not only during the mean periods. Roll her on her side & give her lots of petting & loving. Maybe eventually roll her on her back.
kazalala

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by kazalala »

There are a few things i have learnt that seems to establish that your the boss. One of the things is to always go in the door of your house first and then tell the dog to come in! also the basic rule of nothing in life is free:wah: so your dog should have to sit or lie down or come to you etc. to get a reward/treat, and even their main food, and they should wait to be told ok before they are allowed on to furniture, that if you alow them at all. My dog sometimes barks at us to tell us something or when she gets overexcited playing,, its not an aggresive bark though and she is usually wagging her tail at the same time, i normally say go to your bed! she dont go to her bed but she stops barking:wah: I started using a water bottle to try to stop her more dangerous behaviour such as suddently pulling to chase motor bikes while we are walking, i just say NO and squirt her with the water, seems to be working , well she dont so it as much now and sometimes i can see she is wanting to pull towards the road and normally a NO and tightening of her leash does the trick. Hope you get it sorted anyway:D I love poodles:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
valerie

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by valerie »

Some good suggestions here.

If your girl is a little over a year old, she's hit that teenage "butthead"

stage in addition to not knowing that ALL humans are alpha. I would

start with Kaz's NILIF (Nothing in Life Is Free) suggestion. Here is

a link that should get you started:

NILIF

This plan WILL work, you have to be committed to it and so does

everyone in the household. I would also maybe try hand feeding her

if you can. (Don't bite the hand that feeds you!) As for on the furniture

Kaz mentioned, don't know if you allow but that stops here and now.

She will have to earn that right back and that comes after quite some

time of good behavior.

I would avoid any attempts at alpha rolls or any hitting or "taps" on the

nose or anywhere else.

Use Red's idea of substitutes, make sure they are "high value" treats,

hot dogs are good (small pieces) but try anything that works for this

particular dog. I had to go through a lot of different things with my

current dog before I hit on "Yummy-chummies" which are salmon based.

Like gmc said, poodles are very intelligent, you need to give her

something to do. Even if it's just quite a bit of obed work, or games

like "search" where she can look for a family member in the house.

And really up her exercise, she's old enough now. A tired pup is a good

pup.

That NILIF site recommends a vet check, if your girl has had a recent

one I don't think you need to worry, there are some things (like thyroid)

that can cause behavior probs but I think this is pretty cut and dried...

she gets her way because she has for a long time.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

pantsonfire321@aol.com

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

We're actually seeing a dog trainer right now . My Pup is an 18 week old Rottie and very stubbon . One of the things the trainer told us was never use the word 'no' .

He says if the dog is doing something bad like growling or nipping you never pull your hand away, make a really loud (and i mean loud arrggggggggg ) make it so that for a second it startles the dog (not scares) what i have found is the dog doesn't understand 'no' but the argggg noise he associates with hurting you and then he stops .

Every thing Kaz has said is bang on the money . Make the dog wait to come into the house you always walk in first if your going up the stairs you go first, all these sort of things establish you as the pack leader . If you have the dog on a lead and hes pulling, don't pull up on the lead as this brings the dog up to a fighting stance.

If you imagine when dogs are about to fight they puff up their chests so by pulling the dog up your doing the same thing . So, you need to make a quick pull down of the lead . By pulling down on the lead this brings the dogs head inline with the tail (i'm talking about a spilt second pull down of the lead) .

Our trainer gets us to take things regulary from the dogs mouth ie..like bones and high value things like pigs ears

I can take any thing and i mean any thing from the pups mouth and hes not little hes over 3 and half stone already . One thing we were showed was to sit on a chair (it works better the smaller the dog so you start when their small ) and put the dog on your lap so his belly is facing out wards if they wriggle (which they do a lot ) you growl (it looks worse than it is ) now you growl and start to stroke the dogs belly . The more the dog wriggles the louder you growl . Within a few mins the dog stops wriggling and puts you as the pack leader .

I'll go look for a link to our trainer.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
kazalala

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by kazalala »

Val,, thats a great link i will keep it to my faves as well:D I must admit i do allow my dog on the furniture, and probably a few other things i shouldnt do as well:o

Pants.. when we got our dog she was already 18 months old and had quite a few bad habits and problems, walking her was a nightmare! i dont think she got many walks before. First i got a harness as she is a staffie and very strong, i also did a lot of reading for hints etc. and tried this and somehow it worked! When she started pulling i stopped, turned around and started walking the other way for a few steps, which she would usualy walk ok ,, then i would turn and go back in the direction we were going to start with. as soon as she started puling again i repeated the process. at first it took about five minutes for her to settle down and walk better, but eventualy it started to work quicker, until she was loads better on the lead. I dont know why it works, something to do with showing your dog you are in charge of where you walk and not them i think:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
valerie

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by valerie »

Kaz I allow mine on the furniture, too, but not when we first got her...

for a few months until she settled in she had to do NILIF, too. Once

I saw she was recognizing me as the higher authority, then things were

relaxed a bit. She doesn't ever challenge me on anything. (DH another

story... ) ;)

And the direction change thing for walks, I did that a bit, too, it

worked really well, now she walks on very loose lead.

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

kazalala

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by kazalala »

valerie;944453 wrote: Kaz I allow mine on the furniture, too, but not when we first got her...

for a few months until she settled in she had to do NILIF, too. Once

I saw she was recognizing me as the higher authority, then things were

relaxed a bit. She doesn't ever challenge me on anything. (DH another

story... ) ;)

And the direction change thing for walks, I did that a bit, too, it

worked really well, now she walks on very loose lead.

:)

well Sheila is a lot better than she was but she still has a few probs to iron out:rolleyes::wah:hence why i kpt that lnk to my faves :D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Clint

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by Clint »

Wow! lots of great advice. We've already started putting some of it into action. I'll let you know how it works.:yh_clap

I'm off again...wish I could stick around longer.:(
Odie

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by Odie »

Clint;943747 wrote: We have a poodle that's a little over a year old. We got her because she was in a home with another poodle and she was so dominate the other poodle didn't any quality of life.

We have been able to train her out of a lot of the things that made her hard to live around but she can still get meaner than a snake if she decides she wants to do something her way. We are getting worried because she has started biting when we try to get something she's not supposed to have out of her mouth. She will stand an challenge me with bare teeth and growling when I tell her not to do something she really wants to do.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions?

honestly, she needs obedience school, call around them and tell them what the problem is.

all dogs need obedience school, if not, they run your life.

its all in the training.
Life is just to short for drama.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Poodle With an Attitude

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Also another thing . When your palying tug with your dog (you know with Ragga toys,ball on a rope thingy) you should also always win every time . I know it sounds kinda mean but the trainer said by winning every time it shows your the pack leader .

I found my trainer's name online but i'm still trying to find a link to his site :(.

Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)

Return to “Pets Animals”