Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by southern yankee »

My beagle pup is 8mos, fixed. she has a problem of chewing shoes,her bed,my flowers she pulls up. My other dog when she was a pup never had any of those problems. But Pippin,OMG!~ my husband is about fed up. i love this dog. She has MANY CHEW toys and other toys to CHEW on. Plus Dudette to play with. Does anyone have any suggestions?????:-1:(:mad:
Chezzie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by Chezzie »

My Scrappy used to pinch our shoes and take them outside and chew them, it was his way of telling us he wanted more walkies. Up till 12-14 months old he pinched stuff as a way of attention seeking. He will be 4 this October and he still occasionally pinches things, even the slippers of your feet but whereas before you would never get it back, now he loves the chase and gives it right back usually without teeth marks or holes.

Soz I have no suggestions other than to wear her out more on her walks.

southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Chezzie;925951 wrote: My Scrappy used to pinch our shoes and take them outside and chew them, it was his way of telling us he wanted more walkies. Up till 12-14 months old he pinched stuff as a way of attention seeking. He will be 4 this October and he still occasionally pinches things, even the slippers of your feet but whereas before you would never get it back, now he loves the chase and gives it right back usually without teeth marks or holes.

Soz I have no suggestions other than to wear her out more on her walks.

we live out in the country. she has plenty of room to RUN. Little stinker.:sneaky:
Chezzie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by Chezzie »

southern yankee;925961 wrote: we live out in the country. she has plenty of room to RUN. Little stinker.:sneaky:

just a wee bugga then :wah::wah:
valerie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by valerie »

Obedience training! Sounds like you aren't alpha enough! She's a beagle,

she's hit the teenage stage (oh joy!) and she needs more than what

she's getting as far as physical and mental stimulation. It may seem like

she gets enough, but she doesn't if she's doing those types of things!

You could try keeping her with you at all times, I know it sounds like

a hassle but unless you are SURE she can't get to anything... do

you have a crate for her?

I'd start practicing something called "NILIF" which stands for "Nothing

In Life Is Free" which means she "works" for everything she gets. Even

as simple as a sit/stay before she gets her meals. YOU go through

doors first, etc. and get eveybody in the household on board with this.

She sounds like a smart little dickens.

Good for you for having plenty of chew toys, that's half the battle

right there... have you tried a toy called a Kong? You can put things

in it (say peanut butter) and they spend ages trying to get it out.

Keeps them occupied.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

valerie;925999 wrote: Obedience training! Sounds like you aren't alpha enough! She's a beagle,

she's hit the teenage stage (oh joy!) and she needs more than what

she's getting as far as physical and mental stimulation. It may seem like

she gets enough, but she doesn't if she's doing those types of things!

You could try keeping her with you at all times, I know it sounds like

a hassle but unless you are SURE she can't get to anything... do

you have a crate for her?

I'd start practicing something called "NILIF" which stands for "Nothing

In Life Is Free" which means she "works" for everything she gets. Even

as simple as a sit/stay before she gets her meals. YOU go through

doors first, etc. and get eveybody in the household on board with this.

She sounds like a smart little dickens.

Good for you for having plenty of chew toys, that's half the battle

right there... have you tried a toy called a Kong? You can put things

in it (say peanut butter) and they spend ages trying to get it out.

Keeps them occupied.
she is SLICK!! i can be on the computer or making dinner. next room. in ear and eye view. yesterday, she,VERY QUIETLY ate a whole in her bed and i had WHITE POOFIES everywhere. When i came in the room she gave me this look. "I am sorry MOM". I fussed of corse. she hid a minute or 2 then gave me those soulful black eyes, SNOT!! But i will try harder to keep a eye on my busy BEE.:mad:
scholle-kid

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by scholle-kid »

Try this , Take a couple of old wash clothes get them damp ,tie each one in a knot put them in the freezer till frozen,being just damp it won't be real hard or drip all over as it 'thaws' , give it straght from the freezer to your little friend and see if that helps keep her busy.

I have a dalmation/black lab and he was 'a chewing son of a gun' , I found this wash cloth 'trick' on the purina dog chow web site , after he grew out of the puppy stage he stopped the chewing ,,thank goodness.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
buttercup

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by buttercup »

Google the dog whisperer beagles, he done an episode on one.
southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

scholle-kid;926044 wrote: Try this , Take a couple of old wash clothes get them damp ,tie each one in a knot put them in the freezer till frozen,being just damp it won't be real hard or drip all over as it 'thaws' , give it straght from the freezer to your little friend and see if that helps keep her busy.

I have a dalmation/black lab and he was 'a chewing son of a gun' , I found this wash cloth 'trick' on the purina dog chow web site , after he grew out of the puppy stage he stopped the chewing ,,thank goodness. i will try that. i just checked on my ANGLE.:sneaky: SHE IS A SLEEP!! The wash cloths are in the freezer now.
southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

buttercup;926046 wrote: Google the dog whisperer beagles, he done an episode on one.

last week my hubby was leaveing for work, 4am. he slipt on his work boots. and POP!! went the shoe string. Poor man had to go with his shoe lace tied together. he had no time to fuss. we were just saying when she chewed his tennis shoe laces. at least it was not his work boots!!:sneaky:;)
RedGlitter

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by RedGlitter »

Well, an 8 month old puppy is still a puppy.You haven't dog proofed your home? Such as putting shoes and other chewables in the closet or otherwise out of reach? You need to do this. If she has chew toys available as well as shoes and pillows how is she to know which is okay to chew and which is not? If you catch her chewing the wrong thing, take it away from her, saying NO and replace it with the right chew toy, praising her when she takes it. In all fairness it's a rare puppy owner who doesn't lose a shoe or two but you can't expect her to differentiate between the Michael Jordan sneaker and the rubber hamburger. :)
Odie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by Odie »

southern yankee;925941 wrote: My beagle pup is 8mos, fixed. she has a problem of chewing shoes,her bed,my flowers she pulls up. My other dog when she was a pup never had any of those problems. But Pippin,OMG!~ my husband is about fed up. i love this dog. She has MANY CHEW toys and other toys to CHEW on. Plus Dudette to play with. Does anyone have any suggestions?????:-1:(:mad:

yikes, my favorite dog! Do you have a pic?

Most puppies will chew anything, I would say ask your vet, don't get rid of her just because she chews...............ask some professsionals.
Life is just to short for drama.
southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

RedGlitter;926128 wrote: Well, an 8 month old puppy is still a puppy.You haven't dog proofed your home? Such as putting shoes and other chewables in the closet or otherwise out of reach? You need to do this. If she has chew toys available as well as shoes and pillows how is she to know which is okay to chew and which is not? If you catch her chewing the wrong thing, take it away from her, saying NO and replace it with the right chew toy, praising her when she takes it. In all fairness it's a rare puppy owner who doesn't lose a shoe or two but you can't expect her to differentiate between the Michael Jordan sneaker and the rubber hamburger. :)

i might have to do that with this with this goofy pup. i know she is a dog, not a child. my child was taught, to leave my and daddy;s pretties alone. it worked with my daughter and my Dudette. But this baby is a real challange.:sneaky: Dudette likes to please, always has:). Not Pippin. but like my vet said. Dudette is not your typical dog. Pippin is only my 2nd inside dog.
valerie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by valerie »

You have to remember that beagles are different... they need something

to DO or they find something themselves!! ;)

Just think of all the beagles you've seen in airports sniffing for

contraband... or some termite places have termite sniffing beagles!

Go, go, go... all the time!

So, what kind of a dog is Dudette?
Tamsen's Dogster Page

southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Odie;926138 wrote: yikes, my favorite dog! Do you have a pic?

Most puppies will chew anything, I would say ask your vet, don't get rid of her just because she chews...............ask some professsionals.

no, i couldn't get rid of her. just like i couldn't my own child. i was evicted years ago for my cat. got rid of her. swore i would never do that again.:-1
southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

valerie;926291 wrote: You have to remember that beagles are different... they need something

to DO or they find something themselves!! ;)

Just think of all the beagles you've seen in airports sniffing for

contraband... or some termite places have termite sniffing beagles!

Go, go, go... all the time!

So, what kind of a dog is Dudette? ahhhh Dudette. well she is suposed be a rat terrier. but she is 45lbs. and looks between a german shepard and basset hound. when she was very little. the vet held her up and said"a, rat terrier???? what are you going to be when you grow up??. her momma was a rat terrier her dad?????????????????:-4
valerie

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

Post by valerie »

southern yankee;926304 wrote: ahhhh Dudette. well she is suposed be a rat terrier. but she is 45lbs. and looks between a german shepard and basset hound. when she was very little. the vet held her up and said"a, rat terrier???? what are you going to be when you grow up??. her momma was a rat terrier her dad?????????????????:-4

Was an excellent fence jumper?

;)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

southern yankee

Chew! Chew!! Chew!!!

valerie;926512 wrote: Was an excellent fence jumper?

;) yep, but like i said i live in the country, could have been any hobo;) poor momma:(. she had 7 in that litter. my Dudette was born with birth defects:(. very crooked front leg. the momma died of kidney failure about a year ago. too big of litters.:( that's why my girls are fixed.;)

Return to “Pets Animals”