A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

The What and Why of Atheism.
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1513635 wrote: When?





That I don't know.
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1513692 wrote: No? What is it then that I'm now replying to? You waited for LM to come to your defense and he didn't so now you're resorting to this. You're right, I don't. I've given you plenty of opportunities to explain all this ridiculousness to me, but you can't. What you do is post reading assignments and try to talk over my head, but you can't, and I'm not following you down any rabbit holes.



Its not easy to get Atheist support , because they impeach all of your explanations !
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1513707 wrote: That I don't know.
So, your god isn't helping you feel like a complete person? How long is it that you've given this god of yours? Perhaps it's time to kick god to the curb and take matters into your own hands.

Unless, of course, you enjoy being abused and feeling sorry for yourself?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1513708 wrote: Its not easy to get Atheist support , because they impeach all of your explanations !
They're pretty easy to impeach because they have no foundation or basis in reality. Why would you want "Atheist support" anyway?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ted »

Nonsense
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1513717 wrote: So, your god isn't helping you feel like a complete person? How long is it that you've given this god of yours? Perhaps it's time to kick god to the curb and take matters into your own hands.

Unless, of course, you enjoy being abused and feeling sorry for yourself?



I already tried that; been there , done that! The way of man is not in himself. Jer. 10:23. Dig it!
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1513718 wrote: They're pretty easy to impeach because they have no foundation or basis in reality. Why would you want "Atheist support" anyway?





I want to see what its like.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, I'm an agnostic: I don't blooming know! It seems to me that the most likely thing is that when we die that's it, battery has run down, lights out. Not so bad.

My impression of Ted is that he is trying to live like the early church fathers, living a religious life in the world. A friar, perhaps, were he a Catholic type? But he's moved beyond one religion to seek the roots of true religion? There's a lot in common between the major world religions. I respect his position - even seeing it in somewhat romantic terms as a quest for a Holy Grail. Perhaps I am reading too much into it all.

In contrast I don't have much time for literalists and those who look to force their beliefs on others. Particularly when used to oppress women and Christianity has a dreadful track record on that. When religion is used to oppose action on climate change, or tries to deny the evidence for evolution, or claims the Earth is the centre of the Universe and everything else moves round it, then it is not religion, it is delusion.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1513852 wrote: I want to see what its like.



You're seeing it from one atheist.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Clodhopper;1513988 wrote: Well, I'm an agnostic: I don't blooming know! It seems to me that the most likely thing is that when we die that's it, battery has run down, lights out. Not so bad.

My impression of Ted is that he is trying to live like the early church fathers, living a religious life in the world. A friar, perhaps, were he a Catholic type? But he's moved beyond one religion to seek the roots of true religion? There's a lot in common between the major world religions. I respect his position - even seeing it in somewhat romantic terms as a quest for a Holy Grail. Perhaps I am reading too much into it all.

In contrast I don't have much time for literalists and those who look to force their beliefs on others. Particularly when used to oppress women and Christianity has a dreadful track record on that. When religion is used to oppose action on climate change, or tries to deny the evidence for evolution, or claims the Earth is the centre of the Universe and everything else moves round it, then it is not religion, it is delusion.





I think most of religions are diluted with many useless things. But I grow tired of Atheist using that as an excuse for their unbelief. An Atheist is an Atheist, only because their supposed to be! We are what were supposed to be. No one is responsible for my beliefs, but me! I hold no need to blame Atheist , or anyone else.
Ahso!
Posts: 10215
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ahso! »

Mickiel;1513851 wrote: I already tried that; been there , done that! The way of man is not in himself. Jer. 10:23. Dig it!
What you mean is that you've been convinced either by yourself or someone else (or both) that unless you remain intensely focused on something that you see as clean and righteous (the way of god) that you'll be distracted into the same behaviors you've done in the past (you've mentioned them before so there's no need to rehash all that).

What you are blinding yourself to is that it is in your hands and it always has been, and, you've decided to do what you're doing. In fact, if you look at all your threads, they are not conversations as much as they are affirmations you practice in order to continue to convince yourself of god so you can remain focused on that. Why? Because you've convinced yourself there are only two options for you and the god option is safe. What you don't appear to understand is that the focus part is an illusion. You're making the choices yourself - all alone, without anyone else's help. You're stronger than you realize.

I don't know where you got all this bs from, but I suspect AA or some other religiously based counseling like that where they preach the 'let go and let god" philosophy.

You can't let god though unless you believe in him, which you really don't, so you constantly convince yourself of god's existence by creating your own version. You know the god everyone else talks about can't be real so you're continually reshaping that god into a version that suits you. There is no god, Mickey, and there never will be no matter how hard you try to create one.

Quit being scared of yourself.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire



I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean


Fiona Apple
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ahso!;1514106 wrote: What you mean is that you've been convinced either by yourself or someone else (or both) that unless you remain intensely focused on something that you see as clean and righteous (the way of god) that you'll be distracted into the same behaviors you've done in the past (you've mentioned them before so there's no need to rehash all that).

What you are blinding yourself to is that it is in your hands and it always has been, and, you've decided to do what you're doing. In fact, if you look at all your threads, they are not conversations as much as they are affirmations you practice in order to continue to convince yourself of god so you can remain focused on that. Why? Because you've convinced yourself there are only two options for you and the god option is safe. What you don't appear to understand is that the focus part is an illusion. You're making the choices yourself - all alone, without anyone else's help. You're stronger than you realize.

I don't know where you got all this bs from, but I suspect AA or some other religiously based counseling like that where they preach the 'let go and let god" philosophy.

You can't let god though unless you believe in him, which you really don't, so you constantly convince yourself of god's existence by creating your own version. You know the god everyone else talks about can't be real so you're continually reshaping that god into a version that suits you. There is no god, Mickey, and there never will be no matter how hard you try to create one.

Quit being scared of yourself.





I am not intensely focused on God, I don't know him. And I don't understand him. Never seen him, and only heard from him once in 62 years, and that was last month. I cannot create God, I did not create him in my consciousness, he simply invaded my consciousness. And even how he did it was never to my liking. I have always wanted more from him. Each year of my life was filled with discovering how wrong I was about him each year. Do you know how hard it is to believe in a being that only spoke to you once in 62 years?

Man, you don't know me, or understand why I believe. An Atheist, or even a Theist explanation of how they view me is useless to me. I appreciate talking with you, but I don't try to define your life with my own guesses. You dare tell me that I do not believe in God, which is complete foolish conjection to me. I would never tell you that you really believe. You are insulting without even knowing it or caring.
Ted
Posts: 5652
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:05 pm

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Ted »

Mickiel the problem with some is they never tell you what God they don't believe in. Some evangelicals on the religious side often pontificate on things they simply do not unerstand and so do some evangelical athiests. Papists on both sides? LOL
User avatar
Mickiel
Posts: 4440
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

A forum called godlessness , and with no Atheist support.

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1514322 wrote: Mickiel the problem with some is they never tell you what God they don't believe in. Some evangelicals on the religious side often pontificate on things they simply do not unerstand and so do some evangelical athiests. Papists on both sides? LOL





Well yes, they don't understand just how to explain their god to others. I find it hard at times myself. I have never heard of an " Evangelical Atheist." Care to explain it to me?
Post Reply

Return to “Godlessness”