Stump Spot - The Game

This is where we play our home grown versions of the popular game shows you know and love.
koan

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by koan »

It's time to play "Stump Spot"

The rule is simple, the game is easy to play.

Ask spot a question and find out if he knows the answer.

If he knows the answer he will write it plain.

If he had to google it he will say he googled because he was stumped - you get post "I stumped spot" in your siggie with a link.

If he can't find it on google he will write "Double Stumped" - you get to write "I double stumped spot" in your siggie.

What better reward can an FGer have than the claim to fame that they stumped spot?

Then again. Maybe spot is easy to stump.

Let's find out.

This thread is for questions and answers only.

To write commentary on this game click here
YZGI

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by YZGI »

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585300 wrote: Okay, here's my first one.

Who was Amy Denny?

Pinky, you're a wart, you know that? The only Denny I can think of is Sandy, her North Star Grassman and The Ravens was a magnificent album.

Amy Denny has me stumped, and this is only my first go at this game. I got beat first time out.

I looked her up, she was Rose Cullender's friend.

Pinky stumped Spot!

Attached files
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

YZGI;585302 wrote: Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

That one's easy. You go back to the mummy and daddy chicken and they were still chickens so you have to go further back. Eventually you'll reach a generation which you say "hey, that's not a chicken" and what they lay hatches into something where you can say "yep, that's a chicken alright". So you get the egg before the first chicken and the answer's an egg.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585304 wrote: Who upon returning to their native country gave an account of Elizabeth I as having teeth black and rotten due to excessive amounts of sweet wine?

That has to be the Spanish Ambassador to the Court of... damn, I was going to say King James, how anachronistic. The Spanish Ambassador to England.

Bugger. I checked, and I'm wrong...

Paul Hentzner: A Description of Elizabeth I & her Court at Greenwich, from Journey into England. Hentzner was a 16th century German Traveller.

Pinky Stumped Spot Twice!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585306 wrote: Who did Henry VIII have an illegitimate son known as Henry Fitzroy with?She was called Bessie but I can't remember her other name.

Elizabeth Blount, wiki tells me. I'm going to count that as one to me.

Their relationship lasted for some length of time, compared to Henry's other affairs which were generally short-lived. On June 15, 1519, Bessie bore the king an illegitimate son who was named Henry Fitzroy, later created a duke. After that, the affair was basically ended for reasons unknown. Soon after, the king's attentions fell upon Lady Mary Boleyn.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585308 wrote: Which Shakespearean character exasperatedly says 'She speaks ponyards!'

Oh poo. I thought it was about Rosalind in As You Like It, and it wasn't. It's Benedick about the Lady Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing.

Pinky stumped Spot a third time!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585327 wrote: Which song by The Darkness makes reference to East Anglain accident blackspots Barnby Bends and the Acle Straight? Thought I'd chuck in some pop triv so I don't look like a total boff!:-3

No more pop trivia for goodness' sake! That one's on my hard drive but I had to play it to see what the title was: Darkness - Permission to Land - 07 - Stuck in a rut.mp3

I didn't buy the album but Phip's got one.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585339 wrote: Who was the aunt of Medea in Greek mythology?

(Okay, so I'm back to being a boff again!)

Hah! I saw the film... that's Circe. I loathed whoever played Jason and I was none too keen on Harryhausen's effects, he did lots better elsewhere.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585349 wrote: Name the Norns from Norse mythology.

They had names? Go on, they never, they sat spinning and weaving lives and cutting them at the right moment...

Urð ("weird, fate"), Verðandi ("what is emerging / the present moment") and Skuld ("debt, necessity") - okay, the wiki knew them so they must have. You didn't just edit the wiki and put those in, did you?

Pinky stumped Spot a FOURTH time!

Go out, you brute. Have a drink in the local.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Who did the Jacobites originally refer to as "The Butcher"?
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;585392 wrote: Who did the Jacobites originally refer to as "The Butcher"?

The Bloody Duke of Cumberland!
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

I said, originally.
Tater Tazz

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Tater Tazz »

Why is the hot water on the left?
Tater Tazz

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Tater Tazz »

How come vista does not work right?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;585410 wrote: I said, originally.

You have me dreadfully intrigued and I give in - tell me about it.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Tater Tazz;585417 wrote: Why is the hot water on the left?

Mine isn't!

Tater Tazz;585420 wrote: How come vista does not work right?

This is a new use of "right" which I've not met before. You'll have to convince me that it doesn't.
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

Where can this "Maiden" be seen?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;585410 wrote: I said, originally.

Here lies poor Fred who was alive and is dead,

Had it been his father I had much rather,

Had it been his sister nobody would have missed her,

Had it been his brother, still better than another,

Had it been the whole generation, so much better for the nation,

But since it is Fred who was alive and is dead,

There is no more to be said!

So much for Frederick, Prince of Wales. He was Butcher Cumberland's elder brother and heir to the throne - it was Frederick's son George who ended up the next King since Frederick predeceased his father.

So, to Alexander MacDonald's poem. The six lines in question read:

And, if I got my yearning,

Sorely would the Duke suffer;

You would see the vile butcher

With the rope round his windpipe.

And the Maiden I'd give

An heir-loom to his brother.

Butcher Cumberland took his title in 1726, as "Prince William, Duke of Cumberland". The heir to the throne, his brother, was styled "Frederick, Prince of Wales" from 1729 onward.

I suggest that the Maiden was to execute the heir to the throne, not Cumberland who wasn't in line of succession. If it were Frederick who were meant "with the rope round his windpipe" the lines would have "Sorely would the Prince suffer", not "Duke".

I'm loath to disagree with a printed source, but I'll write to the Clan Cameron Archive tonight and see if I can get a comment on this post. Perhaps we can adjourn a decision until they reply.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Chookie;585441 wrote: Where can this "Maiden" be seen?

I'm awfully sorry but in looking up the foregoing details I'd long since seen the entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_%28beheading%29 which discusses its location. I'll confess I had no clue before then though. I've been to Edinburgh but not the National Museum.

Chookie double-stumped Spot!
Tater Tazz

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Tater Tazz »

spot;585423 wrote: Mine isn't!

This is a new use of "right" which I've not met before. You'll have to convince me that it doesn't.

You can not email resumes with the office 8.5, they are still working on that.
Tater Tazz

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Tater Tazz »

Why do shoelaces only come in certain sizes?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Tater Tazz;585470 wrote: Why do shoelaces only come in certain sizes?

Because the number of paired lace holes in shoes increase in integer units, each adding a discrete length to the required lace.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585471 wrote: What type of poem is used at the end of Romeo and Juliet and why?

I couldn't do that from memory so you're winning this one as well. It's like the tail of a sonnet, but I've no idea why that might be significant. Perhaps it's done with the lights dimmed to let the actors get up from their death scene before taking a curtain call? Perhaps it echoes the prologue - though that's a complete sonnet already.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585485 wrote: Which rhetorical devices are used within this sentence?

'The moon shone silver as the coin which bustled forth'.Simile and alliteration?
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585493 wrote: Also personification!

Pinky stumped Spot a FIFTH time!... Pinky might get a "Stump Pinky" thread at this rate.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585506 wrote: LMAO!!! Which nineties film was loosely based on Homers Odyssey?
One of my favourites, with George Clooney doing his Dick Van Dyke impersonation all the way through it. Oh Brother!
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585513 wrote: How did Tacitus describe Boudicca?

Mad, bad and dangerous to know?

No, that was someone else...

Vengeful, perhaps? That would have been appropriate.
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

Pinky;585539 wrote: Stumped another time? Huh? HUH?

Big of build with long flaming hair.
Where? I can't see it either in the Annals or in Agricola.

The only personal description I can find of her is in Dio Cassius' Roman History LXII: 4:In stature she was very tall, in appearance most terrifying, in the glance of her eye most fierce, and her voice was harsh; a great mass of the tawniest hair fell to her hips; around her neck was a large golden necklace; and she wore a tunic of divers colours over which a thick mantle was fastened with a brooch. This was her invariable attire.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

How much does the average Reindeer weigh (in stone) .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by spot »

They're those big buggers with the pretty headgear and the red noses, aren't they.

I bet they get fat by the time the snows start and scrawny before the green spring growth takes hold. I expect the lady reindeer are far more delicate than the males too. I reckon I need four answers to make a reasonable picture out of that.

Males at the start of winter, 25 stone, and at the start of spring 17 stone.

Females at the start of winter, 18 stone, and at the start of spring 12 stone.

eta: don't they get pregnant? These are unpregnant reindeer, or I'll need even more categories.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Get this ( i found this very hard to believe)but the average Reindeer weighs about eight stone . I met a guy today who owns quite a few of them . The one he had with him was huge but he said they only weigh about eight stone (what ever that is in kilos ) and they live to about twelve years old . Weird innit .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Chookie

Stump Spot - The Game

Post by Chookie »

spot;585450 wrote: I'm loath to disagree with a printed source, but I'll write to the Clan Cameron Archive tonight and see if I can get a comment on this post. Perhaps we can adjourn a decision until they reply.

Fair enough, an adjournment there is.

Return to “FG Game Shows”