Thinking on an Aquarium

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
VirtualStatesman
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by VirtualStatesman »

So, I live alone. I am also violently allergic to dogs, cats, marmosets (anything with fur, in short).

So I was thinking about getting a small aquarium for my apartment so that I'm not the only living/semi-sentient being in the place the whole time.

Is there any advice you might have? One fish, two fish? Redfish?
[CENTER]The Virtual Statesman
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by qsducks »

VirtualStatesman;1162637 wrote: So, I live alone. I am also violently allergic to dogs, cats, marmosets (anything with fur, in short).

So I was thinking about getting a small aquarium for my apartment so that I'm not the only living/semi-sentient being in the place the whole time.

Is there any advice you might have? One fish, two fish? Redfish?


Bluefish which I'm deathly allergic too. I'm also allergic to cats/dogs and an aquarium is a good choice. Do not put the tank in the direct sunlight or you will get loads of algae. There are several peeps here who have fishies, etc. We had one years ago, but got rid of it.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Odie »

VirtualStatesman;1162637 wrote: So, I live alone. I am also violently allergic to dogs, cats, marmosets (anything with fur, in short).

So I was thinking about getting a small aquarium for my apartment so that I'm not the only living/semi-sentient being in the place the whole time.

Is there any advice you might have? One fish, two fish? Redfish?


it all depends on the size of the tank you buy as to how many fish you can put in there.

for just 3 or 4 fish, buy a 10 gallon tank........just keep in mind, you may want more.

you will need the entire kit, tank, pump, filter, etc.

Ive never heard of redish?



mine is a 28 gallon hexagon, and I have all community fish, which means they are non aggressive.........which means they all get along with each other.

some fish you will need to buy 3-5 of each as the are school fish, they swim together..........

neons are one example
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1162661 wrote: it all depends on the size of the tank you buy as to how many fish you can put in there.

for just 3 or 4 fish, buy a 10 gallon tank........just keep in mind, you may want more.

you will need the entire kit, tank, pump, filter, etc.

Ive never heard of redish?



mine is a 28 gallon hexagon, and I have all community fish, which means they are non aggressive.........which means they all get along with each other.

some fish you will need to buy 3-5 of each as the are school fish, they swim together..........

neons are one example


One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Suess:yh_rotfl
VirtualStatesman
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by VirtualStatesman »

Odie;1162661 wrote: it all depends on the size of the tank you buy as to how many fish you can put in there.

for just 3 or 4 fish, buy a 10 gallon tank........just keep in mind, you may want more.

you will need the entire kit, tank, pump, filter, etc.




Well, my apartment complex puts an upward limit on the size of tanks we are allowed to have, so I can only go so far. But I was thinking of something small with 4-5 exotics (though I'll make sure they get along).

I had a ghost knife when I was a kid... that would be cool.
[CENTER]The Virtual Statesman
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by qsducks »

VirtualStatesman;1162703 wrote: Well, my apartment complex puts an upward limit on the size of tanks we are allowed to have, so I can only go so far. But I was thinking of something small with 4-5 exotics (though I'll make sure they get along).

I had a ghost knife when I was a kid... that would be cool.


I hope your on the bottom floor of the apartment complex. That should reduce the flooding if the tank goes awry.:wah:
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Odie »

VirtualStatesman;1162703 wrote: Well, my apartment complex puts an upward limit on the size of tanks we are allowed to have, so I can only go so far. But I was thinking of something small with 4-5 exotics (though I'll make sure they get along).

I had a ghost knife when I was a kid... that would be cool.


now why is there a limit on the size of a tank?
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
chonsigirl
Posts: 33631
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:28 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, lots of little fishies-the zebra and neons, flashing around. Or a small salt water tank, with sea horses and clown fish.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Accountable »

Saltwater tanks are expensive. Cheaper to learn to scuba and get round trip tickets to a coral reef ....... okay maybe that's a stretch.



I bought a few fish. Now I have lots. I don't think you can have your fish spayed or neutered, but it would be a good idea.



One thing I have found that I really like is to have several different sizes of fish. One big one with a couple mediums and several little neons. Something like that. If you want personality, like a real pet, I understand oscars (the fish, not the Gardener) are really sociable and have distinct personalities.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Nomad »

Saltwater.

You can have a salt tank as small as 10 gallons if you wish.

It might sound intimidating at 1st but the rewards are enormous.

Id be happy to discuss it with you.

You could put a clownfish and an anemone in a 10 gallon tank with perhaps 1 more fish for depending on where you live about $50.00



I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Accountable »

for that same 50 you can buy the tank, filter, gravel, plants, and a half-dozen goldfish.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;1163006 wrote: for that same 50 you can buy the tank, filter, gravel, plants, and a half-dozen goldfish.


True.

Im going to try to talk him into it anyway.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Accountable »

The saltwater fish are prettier.
User avatar
Betty Boop
Posts: 15566
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: The end of the World

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Betty Boop »

Re: Thinking on an Aquarium - :thinking: :eek: Don't do it, you will fall in.... ;):D
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1163049 wrote: The saltwater fish are prettier.


They are, when we bought our aquarium a few months back.......was so tempted to buy salt-water.....but it is just wayyyyyyyyyyyy to expensive, not going to pay 30.00 for one fishy.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
fisher
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:53 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by fisher »

we set up an aquarium around 6 weeks ago and love it. Just remember to let the tank cycle before you add fish this will reduce the stress on them and they will last longer. Tropical fish need a heater, gold fish don't. Another tip is that gold fish require more maintenance because they are a dirtier fish. Just do a 25% water change every couple of weeks with a gravel vac and change the filter...
A witch will get a better grip on the broom if she is without panties!
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1162990 wrote: Saltwater.

You can have a salt tank as small as 10 gallons if you wish.

It might sound intimidating at 1st but the rewards are enormous.

Id be happy to discuss it with you.

You could put a clownfish and an anemone in a 10 gallon tank with perhaps 1 more fish for depending on where you live about $50.00






Is that Nemo?:wah:
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Nomad »

qsducks;1163157 wrote: Is that Nemo?:wah:




Nemo jr.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Thinking on an Aquarium

Post by Accountable »

His friends call him buddy, but no one remembers why.

Return to “Pet Advice Support”