doggie rules

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

jimbo;952749 wrote: arf and arf of what :p:p

arf of this & arf of that:p:p:p
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My pooches are Parson Russell terriers apart from the arfnarf who is a little Jack Russell.

I think it was about 12 yrs ago, Parson Russell Terrier owners got fed up having them clased as Jacks so they lobbied the kennel club & they were accepted.

Never once in all their yrs has anyone come up to me & said "ah, i see you have a Parson Russell Terrier". In the end we gave up explaining. The dogs feelings were hurt but what could we do??

New pup Rosie is a tiny Jack Russell but the others are bigger in size.

Not alot of them about. The male's father won best of breed at Crufts in 1998 & 1999, only cos he was the only one there.

I read in the Times once an article on breeds of dogs matching owners.

It said the Collie was the most intelligent breed of dog known & if you were basically stupid, then it was the last breed you should pick as it'll run rings round you.

My friend has a collie & it spends it's time trying to round everything up.

My nieghbour has a chest as flat as a spaniels ears:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Does anyone know how to stop new puppies from biting your face??

She is only playing but will lunge at your face biting noses, ears, lips, anything she can sink her teeth into. We need to stop this before she gets older or does it to a kid. She is approx 14 wks. The "no" word has worked with many pups we have had over the yrs but this one is unstopable & persistant. I think she was teased in her previous home.

Many Thanks,

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

doggie rules

Post by RedGlitter »

oscar;954867 wrote: Does anyone know how to stop new puppies from biting your face??

She is only playing but will lunge at your face biting noses, ears, lips, anything she can sink her teeth into. We need to stop this before she gets older or does it to a kid. She is approx 14 wks. The "no" word has worked with many pups we have had over the yrs but this one is unstopable & persistant. I think she was teased in her previous home.

Many Thanks,

OSCAR



Puppies do this behavior with their littermates as a form of playing. When a littermate has had enough or the nipping hurts it, it yelps and moves away. The nipping puppy "knows" it hurt its friend and will usually leave him alone. Dog experts say that when your puppy nips at you he thinks he's playing and you are a big littermate to him. :) So next time your pup nips you, yelp loudly as if it hurt you and move away from him. He should associate that with playtime being over, and when you yelp and turn away from him, that's a type of punishment for him because your attention is what he wants and over time he should learn that if he nips then that ends playtime and deprives him of your attention. Give that a try and let us know how it works. :)
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Thanks very much Red Glitter. We will begin this right away as last night, she was only playing but bit right through my lip--lots of pain & blood for such a tiny little thing. She's so tiny i feel awful to even yell at her but i can't risk her thinking this is o.k. We have bred Jack Russell litters & they have done this before but learnt the No word very quickly. This one is the most persistent one i have ever had.

I tried yelling NO at her & immediatly placing her on the floor only to have her jump sraight back on my lap & lunge again. I will get up & walk away from her when she does it now as well as yelling in pain.

Your are right about the attention thing. She is very clingy & i think alot to do with this is the bad start she had. She was in a cage for very long hours alone with no other littermates for company.

A very sad case. We are very patient so i'm sure it won't take long. I will update you on how she does.

Thanks again,

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Not sure this belongs here but I wanted to send a warning to all dog owners. I have 2 Miniature Pinschers. Lexie weighs 6 lbs. and her brother Louie weighs 8 lbs. Last week they both became very sick and the vet told me they both were having a bad food allergy reaction. It made sense since they both ate the cats dry food when I wasn't looking. The vet said to come in and pick up meds and the dogs would be fine within a few days. The dogs after taking the meds and a few days later were getting worse and sleeping all day. To make a long story short, he gave them meds for dogs that weigh 15 - 20 lbs. :-5 Please make sure when giving your dogs meds, the vet is dosing for your dogs weight since this could have killed both my dogs. Needless to say, I have found another vet and the dogs are doing fine now.

Oscar, just wondering if you have an update for us :-3
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Hi Trunk Monkey. So sorry to hear about your dogs. It's a miracle they are still alive. This sort of thing is common as it is in the NHS. Just had a similar experience myself. I'm afraid our new puppy arrived with some unwanted visitors. Pharmacys are now selling over the counter flea treatment that you used to only be able to get from the vet. We treated all three dogs & then found in small print that it is lethal to cats if they come into contact with the stuff & to seperate cats & dogs for 72 hrs. It shouldn't be in small print, it should be on the packet same as ciggs warnings.

Thanks to Red Glitters advice, puppy is slowly learning. She doesn't lunge any more which is a huge relief what with so many kids visiting us. She knows it's wrong but still trys it on. She will gently bite your chin & then lick you very quickly because she knows we will get up & walk away from her & her fuss will end. It's been so hard to do as we know she had no attention in her early life but you have to be cruel to be kind. She is sooo clingy & cries if she can't be in the room with you but i suppose that's what being in a cage for hrs did to her.

Yesterday she took all my husbands pants into the garden. You can only laugh.

She has a fantastic temprement & already i can let her off the lead, something i would not do until several puppy training classes. She is still very scrawney though although she will eat anything including the cats food.

Two yrs ago, one of our dogs went down hill very quickly & she was bleeding from both ends. We have a brilliant vet who did all the tests & to cut a long story short, over the yrs, she had developed a reaction to a chemical in commercial dog food. I can't remember the chemical without looking it up, but it had rotted away the lining of her stomach. She was taken off dog food & put on boiled chicken & rice & recovered really well. All ours are now on this diet but there is a web site about these commercial dog foods & the worst apparently for this chemical is Pedigree Chum. It doesn't affect all dogs, some will just not be able to tolerate it after some yrs but we didn't have a clue. The vet said he had seen many similar cases & it was an unknown danger to all dog owners. We nearly lost her to an agonising death & we didn't know it was happening. I feel so guilty as i fed it to her. A work colleague nearly lost her beautiful white german shepherd to the same thing. Now, it's a pain in the butt boiling chicken & rice every day but worth it.

Hope your little one's are recovering well. If it were me, the vet would be looking for new teeth.

These threads are so important i think as we can warn others of such goings on.

Now Red Glitter, how do you stop a dog barking at a passing moth in the night??

OSCAR :-5:-5:-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

doggie rules

Post by Odie »

here it is a law, all dogs are to be on leashes at all times.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie;962084 wrote: here it is a law, all dogs are to be on leashes at all times.



Is this even in parks?? That's a bit harsh. I think some humans need to be on a leash at all times.

If i am in the middle of the Sussex Downs with out a human or a house or cattle in sight, why should my very well behaved dogs be restricted to a leash??

If people trained their dogs properly, there would be no problem. I do partially agree as nothing is more annoying when your dog is well behaved with a good temprement, only to have some selfish git let their aggressive pooch run riot.

It's the owners that need training & brought to task not the dog.:(
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

doggie rules

Post by kazalala »

My dog can still be a bit funny with some dogs so i keep her on a leash. I dont mind other people having their dogs off the leash as long as they dont let them run too far ahead. Quite a few times a dog has come running over to mine, usually just to play of course,,, but what if my dog went for it and bit it? i bet they wouldnt be happy but they wouldnt see it as their own fault either, and a poor dog may have been bit or got a shock if mine growled or snarled at them and its not even the dogs fault.




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

doggie rules

Post by Mia »

My Jack Russell is nine months old now. he is a sweety most of the time, but it is like he turns into a devil when he is told no. He immediately hurls himself at you nipping but not a proper bite,also barking like mad,He also knows he is going to be put outside untill he calms down when he does this,but he cant seem to control himself. Someone said he is in his teenage years and this is some kind of rebellion. He has been castrated and it has made no difference. I have tried everything from shaking a can to just turning my back and ignoring,nothing works so I have to put him outside for a while, just to keep my sanity. Any ideas and will he grow out of this????
User avatar
kazalala
Posts: 13036
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 am

doggie rules

Post by kazalala »

we have a doggie club here that might help;)

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39344




FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Just wanted to state some facts on Jack Russell Terriers. I own a Tri-State pet walking/pet sitting business for over 10 years now.

Temperament: This is a dog who thrives on action and adventure. In the process, it often finds itself in the middle of trouble. It is a true hunter at heart and will explore, wander, chase, and dig when it gets a chance. It is very playful and intelligent. It may tend to bark and dig. It makes a great companion for an active person with a good sense of humor who wants a lot of entertainment and mischief in one dog.

Upkeep: The Jack Russel needs a lot of mental and physical stimulation every day. It is no a dog that can sit around inside. It needs a long walk or strenous game every day, plus a short training session. It enjoys the chance to explore on its own, but it must do so only in a safe area because it tends to go off in search of trouble, and some go down holes and must be dug out! It does best when allowed to access to a house and yard, and is NOT a good apartment dog.

I have 3 clients that own Jack Russell Terriers and have found a huge difference in their behavior when my staff or I come in once a day and let them out to run and play until they are tired. These dogs are not "crate" dogs where you can go to work and leave them crated while you are gone 8 hours or more a day. That's when you will see them really get themselves in trouble and have really bad behavior problems. BTW, terriers bark at everything including "dust bunnies" :wah:
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Mia;962137 wrote: My Jack Russell is nine months old now. he is a sweety most of the time, but it is like he turns into a devil when he is told no. He immediately hurls himself at you nipping but not a proper bite,also barking like mad,He also knows he is going to be put outside untill he calms down when he does this,but he cant seem to control himself. Someone said he is in his teenage years and this is some kind of rebellion. He has been castrated and it has made no difference. I have tried everything from shaking a can to just turning my back and ignoring,nothing works so I have to put him outside for a while, just to keep my sanity. Any ideas and will he grow out of this????



This is typical of a terrier, they don't like being told no. My dominent male is now 11 yrs old & very well behaved but at times it's like having a stroppy teenager in the house. Nothing you say or do has any effect until eventually he will go to his room & sulk because he can't get his own way. He will sulk for hrs on end & i'm afraid i leave him to get on with it now. He does it just to make me feel bad, i'm sure. I would like to say as an experienced Jack Russell owner that your pup will grow out of it, but some just don't. I do think it's the breed it's self & not the owner. Jack's are in my experience, difficult, stubborn, persistent & unstoppable. It makes you long for a lab at times. It takes a strong owner to control them at times. I Used Red Glitters advice with my little pup lunging at our faces & it has worked. She has learnt quickly that if she does it, she will be ignored. When she became very persistent, i put her in another room & shut the door on her. She cried like a baby & i felt awfull doing it, but we have seen results. I am sure that your pup is seeking attention as ours was but sometimes you can give this breed all the attention they want & it's still not enough. I am a great believer in exercise. mine are much more obedient after a good exercise period.

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Trunk Monkey;962181 wrote: Just wanted to state some facts on Jack Russell Terriers. I own a Tri-State pet walking/pet sitting business for over 10 years now.

Temperament: This is a dog who thrives on action and adventure. In the process, it often finds itself in the middle of trouble. It is a true hunter at heart and will explore, wander, chase, and dig when it gets a chance. It is very playful and intelligent. It may tend to bark and dig. It makes a great companion for an active person with a good sense of humor who wants a lot of entertainment and mischief in one dog.

Upkeep: The Jack Russel needs a lot of mental and physical stimulation every day. It is no a dog that can sit around inside. It needs a long walk or strenous game every day, plus a short training session. It enjoys the chance to explore on its own, but it must do so only in a safe area because it tends to go off in search of trouble, and some go down holes and must be dug out! It does best when allowed to access to a house and yard, and is NOT a good apartment dog.

I have 3 clients that own Jack Russell Terriers and have found a huge difference in their behavior when my staff or I come in once a day and let them out to run and play until they are tired. These dogs are not "crate" dogs where you can go to work and leave them crated while you are gone 8 hours or more a day. That's when you will see them really get themselves in trouble and have really bad behavior problems. BTW, terriers bark at everything including "dust bunnies" :wah:

I have to say this advice is spot on Trunk. I have learnt over the yrs that boredom is the enemy of this breed. They are most happy out fishing with hubby where they can explore. If bored, my male will dig craters in the garden which then fill up with rain. You can imagine the rest. I am constantly annoyed with folk who get this breed as lap dogs. A very small dog but they need stimulation. They were bred by The parson, Mr Jack Russell back in the 19th century i believe for ratting & hunting. I know this is what they love best. You see all Jacks grab their toys by the neck & shake. Mine also have very low attention spans & get bored very quickly. Sometimes the boredom will result in the manic barking where after a while, they haven't a clue what they are supposed to be barking at. Mine used to bark alot when young but i found diversion a great tactic. I don't leave all their toys out at once. Like kids, i put them away until play time or i need to distract them. It keeps them interested in their toys. Sometimes, however, they are just little buggers with the devil in them.:-5:-5:-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

doggie rules

Post by Mia »

Thanks for your replies Kaz and Monkey. I have often thought these tantrums are down to boredom as the evenings are the worst,when I am on Pc or trying to watch TV. He is not left alone for long in the day,only for a short time some days when I need to go to the shops. he could do with an evening walk to tire him out,but where I live it is way too dangerous. He has a lot going for him as he loves people and children also other dogs, and yes he barks at noises but that is a good thing. Must say he was terrible when I first got him and he has improved loads since then. I will have to stick to my guns and put him outside for a while when he has these tantrums,maybe he will realise that they don't do him any good.

thanks again.
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

doggie rules

Post by gmc »

Yiou might find this of interest. Hope link works. Watch with care. Click to resume and then re-start it.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d4ljk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d4ljk/
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

As nothing else is working, maybe if i put a post here, my neighbour may see it. Message to next door's dog-- Max-will you please shut the hell up--Thankyou.

p.s. it's a doberman.:-5:-5
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Mia;962223 wrote: Thanks for your replies Kaz and Monkey. I have often thought these tantrums are down to boredom as the evenings are the worst,when I am on Pc or trying to watch TV. He is not left alone for long in the day,only for a short time some days when I need to go to the shops. he could do with an evening walk to tire him out,but where I live it is way too dangerous. He has a lot going for him as he loves people and children also other dogs, and yes he barks at noises but that is a good thing. Must say he was terrible when I first got him and he has improved loads since then. I will have to stick to my guns and put him outside for a while when he has these tantrums,maybe he will realise that they don't do him any good.

thanks again.

I sympathise here. Mine can have attention all day but it's the evenings that are the worst. That's because it's you time & they think they are being ignored so become worse to get attention. I find a good run about 6 p.m. leaves them tired for me to do what i want. It's very hard to find the right balance as too much attention makes them think they rule the house. They then end up ruling you.

Have you considered a companion for your pup?? At first you think two is double the trouble but they can keep each other occupied. My male is busy teaching new puppy all his bad habits & is having great fun doing so. Puppy is tiring him out as well. Good luck

OSCAR
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
valerie
Posts: 7125
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:00 pm

doggie rules

Post by valerie »

Mia;962223 wrote: Thanks for your replies Kaz and Monkey. I have often thought these tantrums are down to boredom as the evenings are the worst,when I am on Pc or trying to watch TV. He is not left alone for long in the day,only for a short time some days when I need to go to the shops. he could do with an evening walk to tire him out,but where I live it is way too dangerous. He has a lot going for him as he loves people and children also other dogs, and yes he barks at noises but that is a good thing. Must say he was terrible when I first got him and he has improved loads since then. I will have to stick to my guns and put him outside for a while when he has these tantrums,maybe he will realise that they don't do him any good.

thanks again.



Putting him outside is probably doing just the opposite of what you want

it to. JRT's can be tough, it's true, but you need to take control of the

situation, this dog doesn't know YOU are "alpha". You are removing him

from the pack and increasing his anxiety. Turning your back in the

house or ignoring him is okay.

Start practicing something called NILIF "Nothing In Life is Free". There

are several primers on it, you can Google or let me know and I'll get you

a link. But EVERYTHING for this dog has to come from you... you control

everything in his life. YOU go through doors first, you go up stairs first,

you eat first (and he sits and waits for his meals until you say "okay")

you decide where he goes and when. ALL the time, I would do it for

weeks or months or possibly even forever, until he gets better. And he

WILL get better, JRT's are smart little dickens.

If you can't give him the outside exercise, then make up games in

the house... 2 ball or something down the hall. Or exercise his little

JRT brain, hide something and teach him to search for it.

Get him some good toys, kongs are good, and you can hide treats in

them for him to work at getting out.

Brush up on his obedience, every day. Or start if he doesn't have

any already.

As to the barking, interestingly enough, teach him the command "Speak"

because then you can teach him "Quiet"... there again, YOU control

when he "talks". Treat appropriately for each.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525



Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

doggie rules

Post by Mia »

Thanks Valerie and Oscar. I know he would love another dog to play with,but We honestly could not cope, as hubby is disabled and walking with one dog and a wheelchair is hard enough. I have spent a fortune on toys for Murphy,he has very strong jaws and always manges to rip them apart and tries to eat them,in fact he loses interest in the ones that he cannot .I give him a kong and a pigs ear to chew on every evening,but this lasts for about an hour then he kicks off. Also he rips up every bed I provide for him. He has a strong plastic one,but its the cushion or blanket that he shreds. I also worry that he has a thing about wood,he has attacked every woody plant I have in the garden even spikey roses and if I dont get there first he just eats them !!! I must be boring you all now must say it is good to vent on here though. I have had dogs all my life,various breeds but must say Murphy is the most stubborn one of all of them.
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

oscar;962258 wrote: As nothing else is working, maybe if i put a post here, my neighbour may see it. Message to next door's dog-- Max-will you please shut the hell up--Thankyou.

p.s. it's a doberman.:-5:-5



Let's talk about the Doberman Pinscher (Max) or any other Doberman Pinscher:

Temperament:: The Doberman Pinscher is an intelligent capable guardian, ever on alert and ready at all times to protect its family or home. It is also a loyal and adventurous companion. It likes to be mentally challenged and is a gifted obedience pupil. It is sensitive, and very responsive to its owner's wishes, though some can be domineering.

Upkeep: This is an active breed that needs daily mental and physical excerise lest it becomes frustrated (barking constantly) or destructive. One a scale of 1 to 5, it scores a 5 for watchdog ability and protection ability.

If Max is in the house and hears any type of noise, he is on active guard duty protecting home and family. It's very difficult to train a Doberman not to bark at every noise it hears. That's why most people own the breed. Perhaps again we have owners that don't give Max the daily mental and physical exercise he needs.

I never blame a dog, I blame the owner of the dog ;)
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Thanks Trunk Monkey. I've never had a doberman & know little about this breed.

Spot on about bad owner. I am not the worlds perfect owner but this Doberman next door is a very sad case. I have never seen Max outside his yard. He barks persistenly all day as you say, due to boredom i suspect. Both owners are at work all day & i guess max has no stimulation. I have never seen his owners play ball in the garden with him or anything. I could cry for him. I have offered to take him out for them but he is now too protective of his home to let even a neighbour near him. His barking is annoying but we feel for him so we put up with it. He is as you say, an excellent guard dog but it just seems that he has never had any fun in his life. Sometimes he will let me talk to him over the fence & it stops the barking for a while. I sneak chews through the wire when his owners are at work. Naughty i know but it keeps him quiet for a while. Why are some people so horrid to their pets?? I will never understand. Max seems so lonely.:-1:-1:-1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Mia;962684 wrote: Thanks Valerie and Oscar. I know he would love another dog to play with,but We honestly could not cope, as hubby is disabled and walking with one dog and a wheelchair is hard enough. I have spent a fortune on toys for Murphy,he has very strong jaws and always manges to rip them apart and tries to eat them,in fact he loses interest in the ones that he cannot .I give him a kong and a pigs ear to chew on every evening,but this lasts for about an hour then he kicks off. Also he rips up every bed I provide for him. He has a strong plastic one,but its the cushion or blanket that he shreds. I also worry that he has a thing about wood,he has attacked every woody plant I have in the garden even spikey roses and if I dont get there first he just eats them !!! I must be boring you all now must say it is good to vent on here though. I have had dogs all my life,various breeds but must say Murphy is the most stubborn one of all of them.

So sorry to hear about your husband. I might be totally wrong here & if i am, i'm sure Trunk Monkey will correct me.:-2 I wonder if Murphey is a little angry at times. Is it possible that he may be a little jealous of your husband? Maybe he is taking it out on his bedding etc. I know the toy thing. we do the same & they get ripped apart. I watched an episode of "The dog Whisperer" Ceasar Milan & he had a case of a yorkshire terrier attacking bushes. Did anyone else see this episode as i can't remember how it ended. It must be difficult when it's a dangerous area to exercise your dog as i have the fortune of fields outside my door. It's so easy to just let mine out & burn it off when they are being stubborn.

I also think maybe this ties in with what Trunk said about shutting Murphey outside when he is playing up. I guessed you lived alone but now i know you have a partner, i think Murphey is angry to be shut outside knowing your husband is inside with the thing he loves most---YOU. Although this worked for me with Rosie biting faces, i ignored her. Rosie has two other Jacks in the house with her but Murphey may feel totally rejected. I would try not putting him outside. Give him a one on one play for 10 mins every half hr or so then increase it to an hr interval. In between, go about your evening & acknowledge he's there but don't give in however manic he becomes. He might learn that if he's good he will get rewarded with play time soon. Your hard work & persistence will be eventually rewarded. I'm waiting now for Trunk Monkeys expert advice. Good luck. What do you think Trunk??:-3:-3:-3
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Hello Mia and Oscar. The Jack Russell Terriers and the entire Terrier Group are chewers, diggers, and barkers. I have found the best chew item is if you can go to the local butcher and ask for large scrap marrow bones. Terriers tend to lick and try to chew these bones for hours on end. Beds for terriers should be flat mats made of heavy padded canvas. It's harder for them to rip canvas as opposed to a softer material bed. Barking is a way the terrier communicates with you. They bark

more when they want attention from you. They are better when they are in pairs and have a playmate. Since this is not an option for you, may I recommend a few things:

1. Never put Murphy outside as punishment. When gets put outside, he thinks he's going to go for a walk or be able to run and play. When this doesn't happen, the behavior gets worse.

2. Is it possible for you to take Murphy for a car ride? Terriers love to ride in cars and look at all the things around them. When you go to the shops without him, he just wants to go with you and when this doesn't happen, he gets angry.

3. Since these dogs need mental and physical exercise, I agree with Oscar. Make time every day and set it aside for "play time" with Murphy. This would be a great time to get a ball and teach him to bring it back to you. When he does, reward him with "good boy" and a small treat. Murphy will start to look forward to this "play time".

Remember boredom is this dogs worst enemy. I wish you much luck with Murphy and let me know how he's doing.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Good post from Trunk. I can confirm the love of balls. My male thinks he's had the same ball for yrs although they have to be replaced regually because of the need to chew. He sleeps with it & eats with it. Sometimes he will bring his ball to me wanting play time & if it's not convienient, he's learnt that the gesture of both flat palms up means--not now. He will happily go off until i'm ready to play.

The love of car rides too. Mine get very excited when they know they are going out but if we head to the drive for the car, they are ecstatic. They are very nosy & as Trunk says, they love to see the world go by. I did not have them as perfect pups, the male in particular was very hard work when he was young. That's how i know that you will be rewarded for the effort. It's only a suggestion but to distract ours during times when we were busy eating etc, we got a childs stair gate. We put it on the front door securly & then they could watch the world go by outside. However, i do live in a very safe area. This would be hard if it's a tough place to live, having your front door open. OSCAR:-6:-6:-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Why does my male Jack run the length of the garden when a motorbike goes by? What would he do with it if he caught it???:-3:-3
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

oscar;964074 wrote: Why does my male Jack run the length of the garden when a motorbike goes by? What would he do with it if he caught it???:-3:-3



Hello Oscar!

His predatory energy becomes fixated on motorcycles because they make a lot of noise, and they generally move pretty fast, making an excellent "prey animal."

What would he do if he caught it, he'd either try to "kill" it or ask nicely for a ride :wah:
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Trunk Monkey;964918 wrote: Hello Oscar!

His predatory energy becomes fixated on motorcycles because they make a lot of noise, and they generally move pretty fast, making an excellent "prey animal."

What would he do if he caught it, he'd either try to "kill" it or ask nicely for a ride :wah:

You are funny Trunk Monkey.:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_monkey:

It reminds me of many yrs back when we were young. My husband had a motorbike & in the hot summer nights, we would drive down to the beach for a midnight swim. Husband riding, me on the back & our beagle in the middle on the bike. We had laws for crash helmets & wanting to protect Patch, we would put a firemans helmet on her head strapped under the chin. Your only allowed one passanger here so as we sped down the main road heading towards the beach, a cop car pulled out from a hedge, all sirens blazing & got us to pull over. This was a certain on the spot fine. The two officers fell about laughing at my beagle in her firemans helmet wedged inbetween hubby & myself. They said they had never seen anything so funny in years & let us off a fine & a ticket.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

oscar;965416 wrote: You are funny Trunk Monkey.:yh_clap:yh_clap:yh_monkey:

It reminds me of many yrs back when we were young. My husband had a motorbike & in the hot summer nights, we would drive down to the beach for a midnight swim. Husband riding, me on the back & our beagle in the middle on the bike. We had laws for crash helmets & wanting to protect Patch, we would put a firemans helmet on her head strapped under the chin. Your only allowed one passanger here so as we sped down the main road heading towards the beach, a cop car pulled out from a hedge, all sirens blazing & got us to pull over. This was a certain on the spot fine. The two officers fell about laughing at my beagle in her firemans helmet wedged inbetween hubby & myself. They said they had never seen anything so funny in years & let us off a fine & a ticket.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl



That's so funny and I wish you had a picture to show us. I had a client who owned a Pug that loved to skate board. The Pug would get the skate board out of the garage, place it in the driveway, and get on and push it with his legs. Once the skate board started going, he would hop on and it looked like a person riding a surf board. The owner got in trouble for the Pug not wearing a helmet. The owner got a used cool whip container, added a string as a strap and put it on the dogs head. If this true story isn't funny enough, the dogs name was Whip It :wah:
Mia
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

doggie rules

Post by Mia »

Hi guys I only just caught up with the thread. Well guess what.Murphy is lying at my feet being good as gold.Only had one tantrum this evening and that was because I stopped rubbing his belly and he wanted me to do it for ever.Anyway ignored the tantrum and hey he got over it. Early days yet but maybe we are getting somwhere at last......watch this space.

Thanks for all the very good advice guys

Mia xx
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Mia;966253 wrote: Hi guys I only just caught up with the thread. Well guess what.Murphy is lying at my feet being good as gold.Only had one tantrum this evening and that was because I stopped rubbing his belly and he wanted me to do it for ever.Anyway ignored the tantrum and hey he got over it. Early days yet but maybe we are getting somwhere at last......watch this space.

Thanks for all the very good advice guys

Mia xx

I am so pleased to hear of your update on Murphey Mia. Have you stopped putting him outside?? If so, how's it going. I am so happy for you. Good luck.

OSCAR x for Murphey:yh_hugs:yh_pray:yh_peace
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

doggie rules

Post by Odie »

Trunk Monkey;966166 wrote: That's so funny and I wish you had a picture to show us. I had a client who owned a Pug that loved to skate board. The Pug would get the skate board out of the garage, place it in the driveway, and get on and push it with his legs. Once the skate board started going, he would hop on and it looked like a person riding a surf board. The owner got in trouble for the Pug not wearing a helmet. The owner got a used cool whip container, added a string as a strap and put it on the dogs head. If this true story isn't funny enough, the dogs name was Whip It :wah:



I love a pug on a skateboard!:D
Life is just to short for drama.
Trunk Monkey
Posts: 21928
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am

doggie rules

Post by Trunk Monkey »

Mia;966253 wrote: Hi guys I only just caught up with the thread. Well guess what.Murphy is lying at my feet being good as gold.Only had one tantrum this evening and that was because I stopped rubbing his belly and he wanted me to do it for ever.Anyway ignored the tantrum and hey he got over it. Early days yet but maybe we are getting somwhere at last......watch this space.

Thanks for all the very good advice guys

Mia xx



This is great news! Please keep us updated but it sounds to me like Murphy is well on his way now ;)
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

doggie rules

Post by Oscar Namechange »

oscar;962064 wrote: Hi Trunk Monkey. So sorry to hear about your dogs. It's a miracle they are still alive. This sort of thing is common as it is in the NHS. Just had a similar experience myself. I'm afraid our new puppy arrived with some unwanted visitors. Pharmacys are now selling over the counter flea treatment that you used to only be able to get from the vet. We treated all three dogs & then found in small print that it is lethal to cats if they come into contact with the stuff & to seperate cats & dogs for 72 hrs. It shouldn't be in small print, it should be on the packet same as ciggs warnings.

Thanks to Red Glitters advice, puppy is slowly learning. She doesn't lunge any more which is a huge relief what with so many kids visiting us. She knows it's wrong but still trys it on. She will gently bite your chin & then lick you very quickly because she knows we will get up & walk away from her & her fuss will end. It's been so hard to do as we know she had no attention in her early life but you have to be cruel to be kind. She is sooo clingy & cries if she can't be in the room with you but i suppose that's what being in a cage for hrs did to her.

Yesterday she took all my husbands pants into the garden. You can only laugh.

She has a fantastic temprement & already i can let her off the lead, something i would not do until several puppy training classes. She is still very scrawney though although she will eat anything including the cats food.

Two yrs ago, one of our dogs went down hill very quickly & she was bleeding from both ends. We have a brilliant vet who did all the tests & to cut a long story short, over the yrs, she had developed a reaction to a chemical in commercial dog food. I can't remember the chemical without looking it up, but it had rotted away the lining of her stomach. She was taken off dog food & put on boiled chicken & rice & recovered really well. All ours are now on this diet but there is a web site about these commercial dog foods & the worst apparently for this chemical is Pedigree Chum. It doesn't affect all dogs, some will just not be able to tolerate it after some yrs but we didn't have a clue. The vet said he had seen many similar cases & it was an unknown danger to all dog owners. We nearly lost her to an agonising death & we didn't know it was happening. I feel so guilty as i fed it to her. A work colleague nearly lost her beautiful white german shepherd to the same thing. Now, it's a pain in the butt boiling chicken & rice every day but worth it.

Hope your little one's are recovering well. If it were me, the vet would be looking for new teeth.

These threads are so important i think as we can warn others of such goings on.

Now Red Glitter, how do you stop a dog barking at a passing moth in the night??

OSCAR :-5:-5:-5



I posted this story recently about how we nearly lost our female dog to a reaction to chemicals in commercial dog food. I have just found this article in yesterdays Daily Mail newspaper.

"Owners have been told they are putting their pets at risk by feeding them animal foods packed with additives. Mr Inglis who launches his campaign for Real pet food today, wants pet food manufacturers to be forced by law to list all ingrediants on their packaging so that owners know what they are feeding their pets. European laws do not require pet food manufacturers to declare what is inside their products. Instead, packaging uses generic terms such as "meat and animal derivatives, cereals, derivitives of vegetable origin and EC permitted additives. Mr Inglis said he has seen a substantial rise in cases of problems caused by poor diet, including allergies and INTOLERANCES, and behavioural issues linked to artificial additives in food. He siad there were health benifits in feeding pets, fresh natural meals".

This ties in with exactly what my vet told me when my bitch had the lining of her stomach eroded over time by certain chemicals. She had built up an intolerance over the years. She is fed boiled chicken & rice now & is back to her old self.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Pet Advice Support”