Old doggie with weak back legs

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

My dog, Toby (a collie cross), is sixteen; though he acts very much a puppy most of the time.

For a little while though, he has shown signs of weakness in his back legs, it appears as though he can't stand up properly. Then other times, Toby races about the house and jumps about, as though there is nothing wrong with him. If anyone knows of any suplements which might help, I'd be grateful. Might have to end up taking Toby to the vets, but he's terrified of the place.
Some people think this is it;

fish think the same about the sea.
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

I would recommend that vet visit. It could be something as simple as arthritis, or as serious as cancer.
Sandi

abbey

Post by abbey »

Unfortunately for some animals, when they get elderly they have a tendancy to go off their back legs, it's normally due to their heart.

As LilacDragon advises, it's best to get it checked out.

Where's Val and BR when we need them? :-1
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

Thanks for your replies,

Some years ago, when Toby was about ten, the vet said that Toby had a heart murmer, but it would be some time before it caused him any trouble.

Toby is a nervous dog, and gets very scared of the vets, but hopefully I can manage to calm him down before taking him. He has herbal tranquilisers which he has whenever he goes to the groomers. He had to stay a few days at the vets once, and has been scared of them ever since.

I'm also going to try glucosamine tablets for him, suggested by Val.

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

abbey wrote: Where's Val and BR when we need them? :-1

Abbs --

My sentiments exactly! :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

CheshireCat

Post by CheshireCat »

You should definately take him to the vet. Like LD said it cold just be arthritis. He is an old dog. You might give him something as easy as asprin. Only the vet can tell you for sure.

It would ease your mind as well.

Good Luck! :-6
"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

CheshireCat wrote: You should definately take him to the vet. Like LD said it cold just be arthritis. He is an old dog. You might give him something as easy as asprin. Only the vet can tell you for sure.

It would ease your mind as well.

Good Luck! :-6

Atlantia

Cheshire Cat works in a vet office, so she really knows what she's talking about.

Just thought you'd like to know that :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

Wendybird wrote: Another thing that you can try is a collar with a magnet in it. Our old dog had arthritis in his old age and we got him a magnetic collar and noticed the difference within a couple of weeks.

(I now have a magnetic bracelet as I was intrigued by how they work lol)

My vet was surprised at how much our dog 'Gaff' improved after we bought the collar.

Might be worth asking your vet?

Good to hear of Gaff's improvement, Wendybird.

We bought a magentic colar for Toby a while back, and it has helped him quite a bit. At the top of our road is a field, which has a low fence going across. Toby used to crawl under it, but since getting him the colar, on some days he's been able to jump over it.

Toby quite possibly could have arthritis, as he tends to be worse first thing in the morning, and them improves as the day goes on. By the evening, when it's walk time, he's in mad collie mode, and runs around everywhere.

I'm taking Tobes to the vets next week, and hopefully all will be okay for him.

CheshireCat

Post by CheshireCat »

I'm taking Tobes to the vets next week, and hopefully all will be okay for him.

I am glad you are taking him to the vet. He can make the diagnosis and give you advice on how to deal with it.

We had a yellow Lab that hung around for 17 years. The last year or so he had trouble with arthritis. We gave him dog asprin in his food. He ran after the ball all night long.
"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!

Return to “Pet Advice Support”