Half full or half empty?

koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

Is your glass half full or half empty?

I'd say mine is on the way to being full. A work in progress, so to speak.
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

Nobody has ever handed me an empty glass, it would be the height of rudeness.

Now, I know the glass wasn't this light when I got it. I can see there's less in there. I can feel the effect of the contents on me, where I've been sipping at it all this while. At my back I always hear time's winged chariot hurrying near; and yonder all before us lie deserts of vast eternity. The laws of entropy are quite specific about this point.

If I toss down the rest of it, will I be able to get a refill? Are the other glasses going round on trays available for just anyone to take? Can I wander over to the sideboard and top this one up any time I feel like it?

It's a strange metaphor, this glass you brought up. Does it simply represent life? wealth? happiness? If it's happiness, I know where the sideboard is. If it's wealth, I can struggle to the bar of enterprise and acquire more any time I have the patience to queue and nobody is engaging me in conversation. If it's life, I can trust to the generosity and good nature of the host, that the glasses on the trays aren't reserved for more important guests.

If you started with an empty glass, Koan, and it's now half full, I hate to think what you've been doing since the party started. If it's on the way to being full by the time the party ends, you're just going to make more work for the cleaners.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

It is fun to play with metaphor.

In this case the true question is are you an optimist or a pessimist?

"On it's way to being full" does not mean to imply that I am vomiting into it, though I hear some people view my posts that way, it means more that I gather little bits of "liquid" from the decanters passed around and rever it too much to drink it away. I see that the glass is half empty but remind myself it is half full with the potential of gathering more.
Peg

Half full or half empty?

Post by Peg »

It depends on my mood at the time of reading this question. Most of the time, half full. Right now, half empty.
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

I don't regret for a moment consuming the half that is gone. I'm under its influence, I give myself to the enjoyment and appreciation of the memory of what is already consumed and yet, glory be, despite all that my glass is still half full! It may have less of a surprise in it, it may have come from a bargain bin during a closing down sale, but it's good stuff.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

:yh_think :yh_giggle I admit to stealing a few sips from mine but then I work double time to replace it. Don't forget in the analogy the fuller the cup the more positive the outlook. On that note...I have noticed that I let others drink from my cup far too often. It seems the refilling in those instances is twice as much work.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

And sometimes, when my back is turned or I'm not paying attention, someone goes and down the whole freakin' thing. I see the emptiness briefly but profoundly.
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

What you need is a friend with a good cellar, a bright fire at the hearth and a long evening free.
devist8me

Half full or half empty?

Post by devist8me »

That actually sounds.....wonderful.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

Yup. It does sound wonderful. As long as the cup ends up at least half full again at the end of the night.
Lon

Half full or half empty?

Post by Lon »

koan wrote: Is your glass half full or half empty?

I'd say mine is on the way to being full. A work in progress, so to speak.
My glass runneth over.
john8pies

Half full or half empty?

Post by john8pies »

If it were half empty, I`d already be thinking about refilling it again in a couple of minutes.....
libertine

Half full or half empty?

Post by libertine »

Did you ever consider that you have the wrong sized glass? Even as a philosphical question (half full? half empty?) it suggests discontent with what you have. The optimistic answer (half full) assumes there should be more to come while the pessimistic response (half empty) suggests 'it' will soon be used up.

Changing the size of the glass (metaphorically speaking) let's one seize the opportunity to be satisfied with life as it is presented..in other words make the most of what you're handed (I think that's if you're handed lemons make lenonade ) :wah:
nvalleyvee

Half full or half empty?

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'm with you on this one libertine. Nice answer - change the rules.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

Why does it have to be a glass? :wah:
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

koan wrote: Why does it have to be a glass? :wah:Because... you said it was, at the top of the thread?
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

spot wrote: Because... you said it was, at the top of the thread?

I'm not God. Honest.
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

koan wrote: I'm not God. Honest.OK, OK, I'm experimenting...

The reason my home made folded paper cup is only half full is because it LEAKS.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

spot wrote: OK, OK, I'm experimenting...

The reason my home made folded paper cup is only half full is because it LEAKS.

All efforts to keep it full end up in...wet feet. Better get some flippers or invest in plastic.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

Mind you you get the same effect if your cup runneth over, too.
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

koan wrote: All efforts to keep it full end up in...wet feet. Better get some flippers or invest in plastic.The more reports I read about plastics cups, the more I wonder what my bra size is going to end up as... http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc ... 9/food.htm

This home made folded paper cup is quite adequate, thank you.
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

spot wrote: The more reports I read about plastics cups, the more I wonder what my bra size is going to end up as... http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc ... 9/food.htm

This home made folded paper cup is quite adequate, thank you.

My cup is suddenly half empty. Thanks a lot, SPOT!
spot

Half full or half empty?

Post by spot »

koan wrote: My cup is suddenly half empty. Thanks a lot, SPOT!On the contrary, your cup is likely to grow a lot larger than mine...
koan

Half full or half empty?

Post by koan »

spot wrote: On the contrary, your cup is likely to grow a lot larger than mine...

Don't fill my cup with false hopes. REally.
Light

Half full or half empty?

Post by Light »

it is both half full and both half empty it is a parallel truth.

Another truth is that my mind is becoming empty or perhaps to full...

Anyway I am going away from the pc for now, to enjoy some coffee, I am planning to fill my cup half way, then to devide to upper part from it, to be sure that it is full:)
SOJOURNER

Half full or half empty?

Post by SOJOURNER »

half full and filling up.................. Life is GOOD!
minks

Half full or half empty?

Post by minks »

SOJOURNER wrote: half full and filling up.................. Life is GOOD!

I am half full too I mean my glass is
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Jives

Half full or half empty?

Post by Jives »

No Minks, I'd say you're competely full of it.

and hey! who resurrected this thread? Koan and Spot don't even post here anymore. I think they got banned.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
minks

Half full or half empty?

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: No Minks, I'd say you're competely full of it.

and hey! who resurrected this thread? Koan and Spot don't even post here anymore. I think they got banned.

Hey wise guy watch it I have friends in low places ya know.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
nvalleyvee

Half full or half empty?

Post by nvalleyvee »

Jives wrote: No Minks, I'd say you're competely full of it.

Koan started her own forum.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Philosophy”