enlightenment

koan

enlightenment

Post by koan »

I put this under philosophy because, although enlightenment is often considered to be a religious experience, it is a mental transition.

What do you think enlightenment would be like? Divine wisdom and understanding. How could it happen and what would life be like to continue living in the world after becoming enlightened?
spot

enlightenment

Post by spot »

There was a provocative article in New Scientist 20 December 2003 which has stayed in my mind ever since. If you look at Metod Saniga's homepage, under Interviews, you can read the essay. It doesn't use the word enlightenment, as far as I recall it, but the discussion on the nature of the perception of time is instructive background for discussing what enlightenment is. Practically everything to do with understanding starts out with the construction of a vocabulary suitable to discuss and manipulate the topic, whether you're considering it yourself, or interpreting your own experience yourself, or building a consensus with others.

If you need access to the New Scientist archive, PM me.

An afterthought - this is from the end of the article, as an indication of where it's headed: ' Does this mean there is no objective physical reality at all? "I believe that there exists what oriental philosophies call the 'absolute', which is beyond the grasp of any conceptual approach," Saniga says. '
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

enlightenment

Post by koan »

enlightenment is commonly associated with Buddhism and meditation but I think it can be achieved in other ways as well. I think it would be like that "click" when you get a great idea...but better. Though what I can't figure out is what use people would have for the world if they suddenly figured it all out. Perhaps it would give more joy but I would think it would cause more suffering (mentally) to watch all the crap that goes on around them.
spot

enlightenment

Post by spot »

If the Real Buddha is lurking on this thread, would he please stand up and speak? We badly need the voice of experience to make any progress.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

enlightenment

Post by koan »

spot wrote: If the Real Buddha is lurking on this thread, would he please stand up and speak? We badly need the voice of experience to make any progress.

Perhaps the enlightened folk did take off. :wah:

I wouldn't blame them.
john8pies

enlightenment

Post by john8pies »

I personally think that true enlightenment, and especially the moment it was attained, would be totally magnificent.

Return to “Philosophy”