I must confess

koan

I must confess

Post by koan »

I must confess that I don't have the faintest idea what my purpose is or what's going on, and I never have. I became comfortable with that mystery a long time ago - that I would never know how any of these things fit together in any explicit way.

-Gary Snyder

I must confess. I have often tried to figure out my purpose. Silly me. Not that I don't think there is a purpose to life just silly to try and figure out what it is. But, hell. Why not? What are your best guesses?
john8pies

I must confess

Post by john8pies »

Hopefully to get on with and help other people to the best of our abilities, so that we can all live together and enjoy life, before passing on (and, no, I don`t mean to sound sanctimonious)
capt_buzzard

I must confess

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: I must confess that I don't have the faintest idea what my purpose is or what's going on, and I never have. I became comfortable with that mystery a long time ago - that I would never know how any of these things fit together in any explicit way.

-Gary Snyder

I must confess. I have often tried to figure out my purpose. Silly me. Not that I don't think there is a purpose to life just silly to try and figure out what it is. But, hell. Why not? What are your best guesses?Good Morning Sister
hotsauce

I must confess

Post by hotsauce »

My purpose is to live with no regrets.
Jives

I must confess

Post by Jives »

To understand life, you have to remember that we are a small planet far out in the arm of a galaxy, whirling around with billions of other galaxies.

So why did the Creator (fill in the name of your deity here) make the Universe?

Well, scientists all agree that where ever the conditions exists, life will come into being. They also concur that the probability of there being life-giving planets is gigantic. There are literally billions of planets like Earth, just in our own galaxy.

And where life exists, the forces of evolution will eventually create intelligence. Intelligence is the single best survival trait. It's far better than long fangs, or strong muscles.

So life will always develop and will always become intelligent.

Therefore the purpose of the Universe is to create intelligence.

But why?

I believe, and the Bible seems to support me, that the Creator made life so that He, Himself could experience the Universe through us. The Bible says that God is in the rocks and the tress and is universal and omniscient. In other words, everything you think, see, hear, and feel...he feels too.

Perhaps that's why life is so precious and suicide is considered so great a crime by religion, especially Christianity.

So here's a tip, if you want to make God happy, be happy yourself. Live a long and fruitful life, enjoy every second, and fill your life with expereinces and adventures. If I'm right, you will have fulfilled your purpose in life.

If I'm wrong, you still will have had a blast of a time while you were here!

Attached files
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
next12win

I must confess

Post by next12win »

My purpose is to figure out why people listen to Steely Dan.

In all seriousness, I think it'll just make your head spin to try and figure something like that out. I don't think humans have reached that level of conception yet. If you think about it, the world expects nothing for us individually, and the universe expects nothing from our world. So that doesn't put humans at any high level of importance in the grand scheme of things. So enjoy, even if you're not enjoying.
I'm against picketing. But, I don't know how to show it. - Mitch Hedberg

Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run. -Simon Wilder
Jives

I must confess

Post by Jives »

next12win wrote: My purpose is to figure out why people listen to Steely Dan.

The guitar solos and Donald Fagan's cool fangs!

If you think about it, the world expects nothing for us individually, and the universe expects nothing from our world. So that doesn't put humans at any high level of importance in the grand scheme of things. So enjoy, even if you're not enjoying.

True, and yet the single atom displaced, and the whole structure of matter dissolves. Even though the thread in the tapestry thinks it has no job, without it, the beautiful picture would be ruined.

Physicists have penetrated the inner atom to the Quark. Now they think that Quarks are composed of sub-atomic vibration waves. So all of Creation is a song in the mind of God.

And you are one note.

But isn't that note just as important in keeping the Symphgony together? :)
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
next12win

I must confess

Post by next12win »

Jives wrote: But isn't that note just as important in keeping the Symphgony together? :)

Don't I know it.. my finger has slipped off a # key many a time. Doens't make for pleasant faces in the audience.
I'm against picketing. But, I don't know how to show it. - Mitch Hedberg

Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run. -Simon Wilder
minks

I must confess

Post by minks »

koan wrote: I must confess that I don't have the faintest idea what my purpose is or what's going on, and I never have. I became comfortable with that mystery a long time ago - that I would never know how any of these things fit together in any explicit way.

-Gary Snyder

I must confess. I have often tried to figure out my purpose. Silly me. Not that I don't think there is a purpose to life just silly to try and figure out what it is. But, hell. Why not? What are your best guesses?

Well I know mine now, To be the best mother I can to my daughters. Other than that I am in a complete fog
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

I must confess

Post by capt_buzzard »

minks wrote: Well I know mine now, To be the best mother I can to my daughters. Other than that I am in a complete fogNice Mum:guitarist
minks

I must confess

Post by minks »

capt_buzzard wrote: Nice Mum:guitarist

Well that depends on which daughter you talk to and which day it is hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Light

I must confess

Post by Light »

All I know is that it could not be the purpose of life to think about the purpose of life all the time.

So perhaps to live life is the purpose...

Return to “Philosophy”