Proactive or Reactive - Where does it come from?

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Lon;1289387 wrote: No that's not it Ahso---some people are proactive and others reactive--the proactive folks seek out information instead of waiting for someone else to lead them by the hand. Some people make bad choices and blame society for the outcome. I'm wondering if the above statement is accurate in your view. and secondly, I'm wondering whether or not one or the other is in our genes? Are some of us passive and others aggressive?

If it is in our genes, is it possible to overcome either through education or management skills?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Ahso!;1289402 wrote: I'm wondering if the above statement is accurate in your view. and secondly, I'm wondering whether or not one or the other is in our genes? Are some of us passive and others aggressive?

If it is in our genes, is it possible to overcome either through education or management skills?

What are your answers to the questions you have asked of other members? :-2
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Ahso!;1289402 wrote: I'm wondering if the above statement is accurate in your view. and secondly, I'm wondering whether or not one or the other is in our genes? Are some of us passive and others aggressive?

Proactive=serving to prepare for, intervene in, or control an expected occurrence or situation, esp. a negative or difficult one; anticipatory: proactive measures against crime.

Reactive=Tending to be responsive or to react to a stimulus.Characterized by reaction.Chemistry & Physics Tending to participate readily in reactions.

Both Proaction and reaction imply action.

One with planning the other is instant and spontaneous.

Waiting for others to lead in situations is passive. This doesn't fit with either of the above.

Humiliating someone, rather than accepting a flawed observation as a simple mistake, is a reactive Passive aggresive response.:sneaky:
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Amythest;1289434 wrote: Proactive=serving to prepare for, intervene in, or control an expected occurrence or situation, esp. a negative or difficult one; anticipatory: proactive measures against crime.

Reactive=Tending to be responsive or to react to a stimulus.Characterized by reaction.Chemistry & Physics Tending to participate readily in reactions.

Waiting for others to lead in situations is passive. This doesn't fit with either of the above.

Humiliating someone, rather than accepting a flawed observation as a simple mistake, is a reactive Passive aggresive response.:sneaky:I hope I hadn't given the impression that my intention was to humiliate Lon, it wasn't. I only decided to carry the the post to a new thread rather than continue to derail the original conversation. I should have shortened Lon's post which I unintentionally failed to do initially, but have since corrected. Lon, I'm very sorry if I've run afoul.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Amythest! :-6

My perspective is slightly different. My understanding of brain response to stimuli is always first emotional (reactive) and then cognitive (proactive). The difference in individuals being the time it takes for the stimuli to hit the emotional part of the brain and then bounce or jump to the cognitive.

Anything that occurs gets our attention first (emotion) and then we process (cognitive) the incoming information. I sort of doubt that any two people have the same exact time lag from emotion to cognitive. But I'm not a neurologist and may be wrong about that.

Passivity OTOH seems to me to be a : I'd rather not bother processing the information or perhaps "can't" process the information. One is voluntary and the other isn't.

I think a common mistake we make, especially as "in-formed" Americans is we assume it's all voluntary unless obvious disorders are evident. What science is becoming aware of is that it really is just a matter of degree and not so much a "yes' or "no" issue.

Theres that chirp again.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Ahso!

I'm pokin' fun really. I should just play nice and submit to the "seniors" here, follow protocol, lest I be labelled a "troll".

:yh_rotfl
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Ahso!;1289442 wrote: I hope I hadn't given the impression that my intention was to humiliate Lon, it wasn't. I only decided to carry the the post to a new thread rather than continue to derail the original conversation. I should have shortened Lon's post which I unintentionally failed to do initially, but have since corrected. Lon, I'm very sorry if I've run afoul.

My perspective is slightly different. My understanding of brain response to stimuli is always first emotional (reactive) and then cognitive (proactive). The difference in individuals being the time it takes for the stimuli to hit the emotional part of the brain and then bounce or jump to the cognitive.

Anything that occurs gets our attention first (emotion) and then we process (cognitive) the incoming information. I sort of doubt that any two people have the same exact time lag from emotion to cognitive. But I'm not a neurologist and may be wrong about that.

Passivity OTOH seems to me to be a : I'd rather not bother processing the information or perhaps "can't" process the information. One is voluntary and the other isn't.

I think a common mistake we make, especially as "in-formed" Americans is we assume it's all voluntary unless obvious disorders are evident. What science is becoming aware of is that it really is just a matter of degree and not so much a "yes' or "no" issue.

Theres that chirp again.

I concur, agree, with your post. ;)
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Amythest;1289443 wrote: Ahso!

I'm pokin' fun really. I should just play nice and submit to the "seniors" here, follow protocol, lest I be labelled a "troll".

:yh_rotflI really do appreciate the way you brought that to my attention, I truly mean that. You are a very welcomed addition to this forum. We all can go astray and make mistakes inadvertently (or not), but its how we are made aware of our mistakes that is most important. You gave me an opportunity to revise my thoughts and amend my actions....Thanks again!:-6

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I could see both types of responses as having advantages, relative to a particular situation. There's even common-sense sayings that advocate both (contradictory) approaches:

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

"A stitch in time saves nine. "

Both are good pieces of advice :)
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Proactive - future oriented. You try to head off problems before they happen by planning and thinking ahead.

Reactive - present oriented. You live in the moment and deal with things as they happen.

Neither is better than the other, it just depends on your personality!:)
Lon

Post by Lon »

Amythest;1289434 wrote: Proactive=serving to prepare for, intervene in, or control an expected occurrence or situation, esp. a negative or difficult one; anticipatory: proactive measures against crime.

Humiliating someone, rather than accepting a flawed observation as a simple mistake, is a reactive Passive aggresive response.:sneaky:

You are right Amythest---needing to be lead by the hand is a poor example of a reactive person, however, don't you feel that a reactive type personality is usually the type that waits to be lead? I should have made myself better understood.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1289442 wrote: I hope I hadn't given the impression that my intention was to humiliate Lon, it wasn't. I only decided to carry the the post to a new thread rather than continue to derail the original conversation. I should have shortened Lon's post which I unintentionally failed to do initially, but have since corrected. Lon, I'm very sorry if I've run afoul.

Theres that chirp again.

Not to worry Ahso---I am not humiliated or upset by your post---I am too old and thick skinned for that------------speak your mind always and let the chips fall where they may.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Amythest;1289443 wrote: Ahso!

:yh_rotfl

Hells Bells----------speak your mind and don't worry about the "seniors" or protocol.

If you get too far off track someone will let you know, and then, just ignore them.:wah:
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Lon;1289485 wrote: You are right Amythest---needing to be lead by the hand is a poor example of a reactive person, however, don't you feel that a reactive type personality is usually the type that waits to be lead? I should have made myself better understood.

Hi Lon. Nice to meet you!

I think a reactive person incites others to intervene. Maybe a person who is reactive, in a manipulative sense, want's or waits to be led. Is that a reactive proactive?LOL .

The reactive person acts without thinking of the consequences, and the consequences, whether good or bad, cause others to react to them.

A reactor waits for no-one. Usually is self centred, and will be policed by others. If they are capable of considering others they will develop pro-activism.

I'm not always clear myself but yea, my cerebrum needs and likes the exercise! :yh_hypno

Return to “Philosophy”