The Hero's Myth

Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1273404 wrote: I never saw this myth everyone harps on about now. This kid never claimed to be a saint, did he? He never invited us into his personal life, at least not that I saw.

Isn't there something in the bible about having false gods? So far as I'm concerned, this kid was never an advertisement for anything more then working hard at something you love to become the best at it.

He's certainly not Jon and Kate who invited the world to step in and watch their personal life.I didn't either and thats because I'm conscious of the existence and allure of myths, as perhaps you are as well.

The Myth

Speaking as an American (though other cultures do it as well), the myth is a sacred generational story handed down in order to enshrine ideals and hero's. Sports has become a cure all for societies ills. It's a healthy, socially interacting, worthwhile activity which embodies a competitive spirit. Sports implies no time for recreational drug use or immoral behavior. It builds character and confidence and strength. therefore those whom give themselves over to the regiment and discipline of sports and endure its pain must be people of quality. Thats the myth! its no different than the John Wayne, Marlboro man, Luke Skywalker, Nemo (Matrix) and other mythical characters which societies set up as "good" examples of upright living. It's the purpose of life - to live well! Companies perpetuate myths constantly in order to sell their mostly worthless products.

The Pledge of Allegiance

Society demands near perfection from those it has crowned as "The Best", meaning of course that whats implied is you better not just be great at the sport, but you had better embody the whole package, you'd better be everything I would have liked to be and want our children to be. We'll allow you to be put on billboards and television, will heartily tune into everything you do and we will gladly hand over our hard earned money to watch your near perfect self do what it is you do best. We'll tell our children your story and encourage them to follow your example, even though we've relied on the lies corporate America portrays you as in those carefully crafted commercials and billboards. But don't you dare be anything other than we we've made you out to be or we will crucify in the public square.

What I've describes is exactly what has happened to Tiger Woods and many others. It's time we as a culture move beyond this hero worshiping myth telling. Its a lie!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

The Hero's Myth

Post by CARLA »

There has to be somethings in life to keep us moving forward.

Why not Sports? For most of us it teaches us team work, fair play, confidence, hard work, dedication, how to compete, gives us a goals. As a kid I played every sport there was and loved every minute of it. If they gave scholarship to women back then like they do now (TITLE 9) I would have had one for basketball or tack and field, or swimming. My dream was to be an Olympic Swimmer, yes it was a dream, dreams are what kids do, and what adults should do more of.

Don't blame everyone because a few fall from grace. In my experience organized sports is good for most kids always has been always will be. If their Hero as you put it turns out not to be one, that also is a learning experience as well.

It is up to us as parent to guide them through the learning as to what a true hero is. Yes I agree the word hero shouldn't be a label for sports figures. Great at what they do would be better.

True hero's are the Men and Women fighting for our freedom, Dr's and Nurses that save lives daily, researcher who find cures for diseases, Teachers, Fireman, Paramedics, Caregivers of the ill, and Parents that do the right things for their children with what that have.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

Thank you for the thoughtful post, Carla.

My question is: Why hero's at all?

What about the peacemaker, aren't they hero's? Then theres the designers and builders of equipment and buildings for those doctors to work in? How about the software developer or IT person who makes the researchers jobs easier? The mechanic that keeps the fire engines running, aren't they hero's too? Not everyone can be a fire fighter, but we all do our part. When we read the words of the poet and hear the signing of the musician and screams of the protesters whom keep us apprised of all that is unjust - hero's all, Carla - and thats the point. We are either all or none...hero's!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

The Hero's Myth

Post by CARLA »

I have never bought in to the word HERO either. Your right there are many GREAT people all over the world who excel at what they do and do it because its what they are good at, or called to do.

I guess for me HERO might be only fitting for those that give their lives for this country, or to save another. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

CARLA;1273463 wrote: I have never bought in to the word HERO either. Your right there are many GREAT people all over the world who excel at what they do and do it because its what they are good at, or called to do.

I guess for me HERO might be only fitting for those that give their lives for this country, or to save another. :-6I'm expecting Spot any moment now to ask you: Isn't refusing to fight saving lives? And its a fair question to ask ourselves. Spot would of course ask it much more eloquently than I could.:)

But my question is different and it's: What about those whom never have the opportunity for various reasons to exercise their gifts or find their vocation? Not everyone can have the opportunity to die for others - neither you nor I or anyone else here or even still living obviously has. But I guess you're actually saying that all hero's are dead?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
CARLA

The Hero's Myth

Post by CARLA »

Mr. Spot will pick us both apart. ;) Humm!! I can't speak for everyone I can only speak for myself. Yes there are those who never get to exercise their gift not sure we can change that for everyone except allowing everyone equally opportunity to a full and complete education. This country has truly fallen off the wagon when it comes to educating our young people. We have to do better for them to fullfill their dreams.

Good point on all hero's being dead now you have made me re-think my comment. :wah:

[QUOTE]I'm expecting Spot any moment now to ask you: Isn't refusing to fight saving lives? And its a fair question to ask ourselves. Spot would of course ask it much more eloquently than I could.

But my question is different and it's: What about those whom never have the opportunity for various reasons to exercise their gifts or find their vocation? Not everyone can have the opportunity to die for others - neither you nor I or anyone else here or even still living obviously has. But I guess you're actually saying that all hero's are dead?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Bryn Mawr

The Hero's Myth

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1273461 wrote: Thank you for the thoughtful post, Carla.

My question is: Why hero's at all?

What about the peacemaker, aren't they hero's? Then theres the designers and builders of equipment and buildings for those doctors to work in? How about the software developer or IT person who makes the researchers jobs easier? The mechanic that keeps the fire engines running, aren't they hero's too? Not everyone can be a fire fighter, but we all do our part. When we read the words of the poet and hear the signing of the musician and screams of the protesters whom keep us apprised of all that is unjust - hero's all, Carla - and thats the point. We are either all or none...hero's!

That's so very, very, true.

Why do most people prefer the all action hero who goes in with guns blazing and rescues the hostages against incredible odds to the quiet guy who goes in unarmed (against the same odds) and talks up a peace without a shot being fired - even more so the guy who settles the problem before it gets to the point of hostages being taken in the first place.
koan

The Hero's Myth

Post by koan »

Ernest Becker would say that we infuse people who demonstrate skill or special qualities with a perceived essence of God to make God more tangible. This is subconscious and does not require a conscious belief in God.

The infused people then become symbolic of divine protection or favouritism for the group. If they do well we feel God has judged us favourably and we are living correctly. If they slip up or fail those that infused the rotter feel betrayed and potentially frightened, when the hero is a president or leader.

Every time our hero meets a challenge and survives the group is granted both a feeling of immortality and approval from the divine. The group's feeling of safety and approval is intricately linked to its heroes. The reason for electing the heroes is complex but centered around mystification with the world around us and fear of insignificance.
Saint_

The Hero's Myth

Post by Saint_ »

Definition of a Hero: Someone who is willing to sacrifice for others.

Why we need Heroes: To remind us to be our best.

Well, that was easy!:D
CARLA

The Hero's Myth

Post by CARLA »

Works for me sweet and simple. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

Saint_;1273550 wrote: Definition of a Hero: Someone who is willing to sacrifice for others.So, you referred to Tiger Woods as a hero, but what has he sacrificed for others, even before the indiscretions?

Saint_;1273550 wrote: Why we need Heroes: To remind us to be our best.You mean you need to be reminded to be your best, don't you? And you seem to think everyone is like you - incapable of being their best without an ever present example to look up to. Believe it or not, most of us get along just fine without hero's. Please don't speak for me or anyone else in my family.

Saint_;1273550 wrote: Well, that was easy!:DI'd expect nothing more.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

The Hero's Myth

Post by Saint_ »

Ahso!;1273569 wrote: So, you referred to Tiger Woods as a hero, but what has he sacrificed for others, even before the indiscretions?

He sacrificed hundreds of hours of his childhood to practice for his sport.

You mean you need to be reminded to be your best, don't you? And you seem to think everyone is like you - incapable of being their best without an ever present example to look up to. Believe it or not, most of us get along just fine without hero's. Please don't speak for me or anyone else in my family.

Seeing your antagonistic, surly, and terse attitude, I'd say that you very much need to be reminded to be your best...:thinking:

And of course I was speaking of mankind in general, not you specifically...

But OK, if it'll make you happy...."I" need to be reminded to be "my" best!:D

Heroes are very important and necessary symbols of the hopes and dreams of man. Heroes are not gods. They are flesh and blood. But when the test comes, heroes react in extraordinary ways, often rising above the ordinary and surpassing the expected. Heroes inspire, because they dream bigger, they reach higher, and they are able to endure longer. Because of them, mankind strives to be better than itself.

(BTW...Ahso, I really can't believe that you never looked up to anyone, never had a hero when you were young, never played "roles" as a child and wondered what it would be like to be a fireman, or a policeman. Psychologically, that's impossible. Roleplaying is a normal part of childhood and everyone does it.:rolleyes:)

Remember, Ahso, this is just a forum, it's not reality. There's no reason to get worked up about things.;)
fuzzywuzzy

The Hero's Myth

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

what's in a heores make-up? what qualities do they need to have?
Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

Saint_;1273572 wrote: He sacrificed hundreds of hours of his childhood to practice for his sport.:wah:And all the while he was doing it knowing he was sacrificing for others? He sure didn't sacrifice much of his earnings for those less fortunate, did he? Nor do any of them. If one defines a hero by sacrifice then the greater the sacrifice the greater the hero, right? That would mean those that give rather than receive. Well, how do these sports hero's hold up to that criteria? Want to check to see how much they keep for themselves compared to what they sacrifice?

Saint_;1273572 wrote: Seeing your antagonistic, surly, and terse attitude, I'd say that you very much need to be reminded to be your best...:thinking:I think you're feeling a little sensitive. I'm harmless!

Saint_;1273572 wrote: And of course I was speaking of mankind in general, not you specifically...But thats not necessary! Saint_;1273572 wrote: But OK, if it'll make you happy...."I" need to be reminded to be "my" best!:DPatronizing and pretentious.

Saint_;1273572 wrote: Heroes are very important and necessary symbols of the hopes and dreams of man. Heroes are not gods. They are flesh and blood. But when the test comes, heroes react in extraordinary ways, often rising above the ordinary and surpassing the expected. Heroes inspire, because they dream bigger, they reach higher, and they are able to endure longer. Because of them, mankind strives to be better than itself.Hero's are symbols? I thought they were examples. And again, where do you see these qualities in sports personalities?

Saint_;1273572 wrote: (BTW...Ahso, I really can't believe that you never looked up to anyone, never had a hero when you were young, never played "roles" as a child and wondered what it would be like to be a fireman, or a policeman. Psychologically, that's impossible. Roleplaying is a normal part of childhood and everyone does it.:rolleyes:)Of course I've had hero's - I was taught to, however, when I became aware of it, I reevaluated the practice, did some research on it, weighed the pros and cons and voted against it. I've raised 5 now grown children without them and we're all doing great. To top it off, we don't feel any pressure to live up to anyone expectations but our own. Incidentally, there are lots of people like us..

But no, I've never done roll playing - not once, unless I was forced to! It's not part of my makeup.

Saint_;1273572 wrote: Remember, Ahso, this is just a forum, it's not reality. There's no reason to get worked up about things.;)I'm not worked up one bit. This is normal type discussion for me. I'm one of those weirdo's who actually spends time thinking about this stuff. I find it enjoyable.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
yaaarrrgg

The Hero's Myth

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I thought Jon Stewart's quip about Tiger was funny .... he's a guy that hits a ball with a stick.

The issue I have with sports -- especially sports heroes -- is that the rules and objectives are really pretty arbitrary and worthless to society as a whole, yet the mastery of such is elevated to an almost godlike status.

If we had an "arm-pit farting" contest, I'm sure some prodigy would bubble to the top of that contest as well.

I just don't get the self-imposed limitations in the game play. Why are we playing on one set of rules and not another?

It would be a more interesting sport to see a group of people beat each other senseless with a bunch of golf clubs, than hit a tiny ball around. Allow people to pick their weapons and have a gladiator free-for-all. That's really the only real sport IMO.

Besides, it's not like it's hard to put a ball in a hole. It's hard because "the rules" have made it hard. Like if I try tape my fingers all together and try to type. It's really a trivial accomplishment if we take a smarter approach to these sports problems: just pick up the ball with our hand and put it the right place for Pete's sake. Or, we can conform to a set of honestly ridiculous, self-imposed limitations, then pat ourselves on the back because we managed to accomplish a feat anyone using a bit of common sense could have managed in half the time.. :)
Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

yaaarrrgg;1273674 wrote: I thought Jon Stewart's quip about Tiger was funny .... he's a guy that hits a ball with a stick.

The issue I have with sports -- especially sports heroes -- is that the rules and objectives are really pretty arbitrary and worthless to society as a whole, yet the mastery of such is elevated to an almost godlike status.

If we had an "arm-pit farting" contest, I'm sure some prodigy would bubble to the top of that contest as well.

I just don't get the self-imposed limitations in the game play. Why are we playing on one set of rules and not another?

It would be a more interesting sport to see a group of people beat each other senseless with a bunch of golf clubs, than hit a tiny ball around. Allow people to pick their weapons and have a gladiator free-for-all. That's really the only real sport IMO.

Besides, it's not like it's hard to put a ball in a hole. It's hard because "the rules" have made it hard. Like if I try tape my fingers all together and try to type. It's really a trivial accomplishment if we take a smarter approach to these sports problems: just pick up the ball with our hand and put it the right place for Pete's sake. Or, we can conform to a set of honestly ridiculous, self-imposed limitations, then pat ourselves on the back because we managed to accomplish a feat anyone using a bit of common sense could have managed in half the time.. :)Thats interesting. I've never thought of it like that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

The Hero's Myth

Post by Ahso! »

fuzzywuzzy;1273574 wrote: what's in a heores make-up? what qualities do they need to have?None, thats the reason its a myth - the qualities are attributed to them by society or individuals based on what the believers find attractive. In this case its sports, in the case of Jesus or Mohammad its religion. the stories are false but applied to regular human beings to advance a story as I said in my OP.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Elone

The Hero's Myth

Post by Elone »

CARLA;1273448 wrote: There has to be somethings in life to keep us moving forward.

First, I want to say I too, as an adult, have no heroes. Having said that I think there are two personal reasons that heroes are emulated. The first is having a hero when you are a child. When you are small most of us are aware that there are people that get preferential treatment or have what we desire. Having a hero allows us to imagine we are the hero, even if it is for a moment. This, I believe, is the foundation for setting goals in your life.

The second is having a hero when we are adults, especially sports heroes. Many of us, for any myriad of reasons, find ourselves in occupations or life situations that aren’t exactly what was hoped for. We may be making money and have many of the luxuries of life, yet there is still something missing. That great paying job we wanted may be boring or monotonous, or has lost its challenge. After doing the same routine for years on end one day just runs into another. The sports hero allow us a mental diversion from the daily grind and this feeling can be extended by discussions with others who share the same sentiments.

Then there is the corporate reason for creating heroes. Money!

Return to “Philosophy”