Do we need a new farm system for elitism?

coberst

Post by coberst »

Quickie from Wiki:

“In sports, a farm team, farm system, feeder team or nursery club, generally refers to a team or club whose role is to provide experience and training for young players, with an agreement that any successful players can move on to a higher level at a given point. This system can be implemented in many ways, both formally and informally.

The term is also used as a metaphor for any organization or activity that serves as a training ground for higher-level endeavors. For instance, sometimes business schools are referred to as "farm clubs" for the world of business.”

David Ignatius asked the question “why is an increasingly ‘connected’ world such a mess?” in a February article in the NY Times. More democracy and more Globalism seem to be leading to more chaos and confusion.

Thomas Friedman argues in his book The World is Flat]/i] that technology and more Globalism is driving the integration of the world and will lead to a better world.

Francis Fukuyama posted an essay in the New York Times Magazine, "More democracy will mean more alienation, radicalization and -- yes, unfortunately -- terrorism"?

The Middle East is turning into a cauldron of destruction and death. What the hell is going on? Where are our leaders? Are they out to lunch? Is this a beginning of a repeat of the twentieth century? Can humanity survive such a rebirth of such a century?

David Ignatius talked with a number of his contacts and formulated his answer to why is the world such a mess? His explanations are listed below:

1) As elites become connected in the world they lose their ‘home’ connection.

2) Connectedness produces local political disconnection.

3) I will add that our elites are now ‘following the money’ and the world is their ‘oyster’.

4) The Internet is a “rage enabler” and reinforcer.

Ignatius concludes that “The connected world is inescapable, like the global economy itself. But if we can begin to understand how it undermines political stability -- how it can separate elites from masses, and how it can enhance rage rather than reason -- then perhaps we will have a better chance of restabilizing a very disorderly world.”

Coberst concludes that we need to develop immediately a new ‘farm system’ for elite hood. There is a phrase from a popular post-WWI song that goes something like this “how ya goina keepem down on the farm after they’ve seen Parie”. If we manage to get a few people to “see Parie”, i.e. see what self-actualizing self-learning is about, we can develop a new farm system for elite hood.

Do we need a new ‘farm system’ for elite hood?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

People have differing talents in different degrees. The talent of some people is for making money. In a world that worships Mammon these people are the elite. Elites are exclusive and priveleged and tend to mix only with others of the elite.

Frankly, stuff 'em. I reckon there are more important qualities than the ability to make scads of cash.

Change the world. The rest will follow.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “Philosophy”