Is this the politician’s swan song?

Post by coberst »

There is a country song that has these lyrics:

Heaven's just a sin away,

Woah, oh, just a sin away.

I can't wait another day;

I think I'm givin' in.

SIN—Self Induced Narcotic—is the sin I wish to focus on. I often find in my reading that the author refers to our modern culture as being narcissistic. I found this reference confusing; I have discovered that the term ‘narcissism’ has many different definitions.

One prominent characteristic of narcissism that everyone seems to agree upon is the narcotic effect that permeates our culture. Our culture has chosen to hide from reality; we have a problem with SIN--Self Induced Narcotic.

Attitudes are difficult to change. While walking by a store front one day I glanced at my reflection and noted that I walked with a distinct slouch that irritated me. I decided to change and began to consciously throw my shoulders back, suck in the gut, and walk erect. Of course, as soon as I stopped concentrating on my posture I went back to my habitual slouch. Every time I thought about my posture I would throw back the shoulders and suck in the gut. One day I noticed that my slouch was gone—I had changed by physical attitude.

To change our mental attitude is just the same process. First I must become conscious of the problematic attitude, then I must will its change, then I must change my habits.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I don't agree that narcotics and narcissism are the same thing at all. :confused:

The term narcotic is believed to have been coined by the Greek physician Galen to refer to agents that benumb or deaden, causing loss of feeling or paralysis. It is based on the Greek word ναρκωσις (narcosis), the term used by Hippocrates for the process of benumbing or the benumbed state. Galen listed mandrake root, altercus seeds and poppy juice (opium) as the chief examples.

Narcissism describes the trait of excessive self-love based on self-image or ego, as well as lack of empathy for others.

The term is derived from the Greek mythology of Narcissus. Narcissus was a handsome Greek youth who rejected the desperate advances of the nymph Echo. As punishment, he was doomed to fall in love with his own reflection in a pool of water. Unable to consummate his love, Narcissus pined away and changed into a flower that bears his name, the narcissus. (Echo also pined away for love of him and it is her voice you hear when you call out in the mountains.)

In psychology and psychiatry, excessive narcissism is recognized as a severe personality disorder. The terms narcissism, narcissistic, and narcissist are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others.

Sigmund Freud believed that some narcissism is an essential part of all of us from birth and was the first to use the term in the reference to psychology.

Andrew Morrison claims that, in adults, a reasonable amount of healthy narcissism allows the individual's perception of his needs to be balanced in relation to others.

So I don't see how a drug that's used to numb the senses from reality can be compared to extreme self-love.

I'm sorry but I also don't really see how changing your posture, when you remember to do it, would stop you from slouching. It would need to be constantly practised for that to happen.

However, I do agree that we must change our mental attitude, to a positive one, in order to change our habits.

Return to “Philosophy”